Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeing the pipe gets so friggin hot, i was wondering if i could wrap it with header wrap to keep the heat in the pipe and move it out of the exhaust better ?
the wrap works awsome in automotive use and i know i could grab the pipe after a run and not get burned, but i was wondering if it would change the way it runs by maybe adding to much heat to the pipe????????anyone care to add some thought?????

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are you talking about the y-pipe or the whole system?
If it was just the y-pipe I would get it Jet-Hot coated.Seems like a small part like that would be 100 bux or less.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wrapping the pipe will cause the engine to make its max power at a higher rpm. You might also get some detonation in the engine. The clutching would probably need to be changed to compensate for the higher rpms and jetting may need to be increased also. Wrapping will increase horsepower, but there are other considerations. Remember, snowmobile exhaust dosen't just go through the pipe and leave; it 'pulses' back towards the exhaust port and helps keep the intake charge from exiting out the port. Heat wrap on a four stroke works great, but two stroke engines are entirely different from four strokes when it comes to exhaust, and exhaust pipe temperature has a huge effect on how the engine runs. Aftermarket twin and triple pipe systems with single wall pipes and no heat shields might benefit greatly from heat wrap: heat wrap on these systems would help keep the pipes at a more constant temperature for trail riding (keeping the powerband more constant so the clutch stays 'in tune'), but I would leave your pipe as is unless you are willing to adjust clutching and jetting to compensate for the change. Anyways, dosen't the pipe have a heat shield on the expansion chamber to begin with?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it has a heat shield but that gets just as hot as the pipe ! i wonder if i could wrap it just over the cyl head area without it affecting the motor to much,this is a tough one. :wacko:

·
Registered
320 Posts
The expansion chamber is where heat wrap will have the most effect, so go ahead and try it. As with any mod, keep an eye on everything to see what happens to be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts