Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...im looking for a newer sled for this season, and was wondering....would I be happy with a 500cc??

Now...I'm not a small guy (280lbs) but am not concerned with top speed(really only need to get 80-90 mph). I don't really dig the lake runner thing....I spend most of my time on the twisties, and thats what i love!! I also spend a lot of time in ditches......so i would like to get a track extension and a 136" track for whatever i end up getting.

So would a 500 suit my needs, or should i look at a 600? The main reason i ask is because of the price difference...any advice on the matter would be awesome!

Thanks!!!
Scott

·
Registered
835 Posts
If you do go with a Polaris 500, I would see about a 500 XC or 500 XC SP. They have around 100 horsepower, and would be quick enough for you to have fun on in the twisties.

I had a 1999 500 XC SP (non VES motor). I had a blast in the twisties with that sled. I was able to get 85-90 mph out of it on a lake. And at the time, I was about 340 lbs. Still had enough power to get you in trouble, and it handled awesome. Really fun little sled.

You would be better off with a 600 considering your size. But, if your budget will not allow for it, a 500 can get you by fine. :div20:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. I put 2400 miles on a 2001 500XCSP and 4700 miles on a 2003 500XCSP. Absolutely no problems with either one. I could run next to the 600s, and some 700s, up to about 60 miles per hour then they'd leave me. On the trail it would keep up with anyone. Top end was 95 on a good day. Bottom line, if you really want to compete in drags buy something bigger. If you want a reliable sled for trail riding up to the agressive level and at a more reasonable price, it would be perfect for you. For another $200 you could throw in a clutch kit and be really competetive.
OldGuy

·
Registered
924 Posts
My personal opion is that a 500 isn't gona do the job. A 600 would be perfect for the kind of condions you ride in. I my self weight 330 - 6'4 so i now what i'm talkin about. The 500 will always be struggling and you would whish you bought a bigger sled get a 600. Hope this helps later The Big Dog

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm....ok....now with a 136" track do you fellas (except for big dog :) ) think that the 500 would still cut it? Im wondering about the extra rotating mass and drag?

Also, not that its a MAJOR concern, but how much would you guys estimate the fuel mileage chances between a 500 and a 600.

Big Dog,

How do you like your SB?? Is the 700 a gas hog??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why are looking for the extended track? If your riding area is in the U.P. Then most of that will be on trails. I think that for a regular sled a 500 xcsp would be great. They are reliable and have good power. If you have the coin for an extended track then spend the money on a 600. Either way you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the main reson for the extended track is for my illinios riding.....ditches, etc.....and im looking to do a little more off trail (but legal) exploration.....so though 136 is still small for the really deep stuff, its better than a 121, yet is still "trail-able"...

also, i look at long tracking like i looked at wheelbase when i was 4wheelin....my explorer was 112" wheelbase when jeeps are, what? like 97"? I wouldn't get stuck in the places that all these thousands of jeeps would dig out because of the difference in wheelbase. So i look at the long track and think that, on trail, it will help smooth out the ride from some of the moguls that get created.

Also, I ride from Iron County into the UP, and it seems like the last few trips its been getting harder and harder to hook up off of stop signs etc, because of all the traffic. So i look to the larger footprint to help me hook up better where the trail has been really chewed up.

so yeah, thats just me babbeling on.... :)

and thats probably a good point...if im gonna spend the extra on a new track, i may as well get something that will deffinitly power it....

good things to think about....... :D

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
if you really want a 136", get a 600 hands down. the 500 is alright with a 121" short lug track, anything over 1" lug will really drag it down. gas mileage is about the same. resale on 600 is higher. 600's have more aftermarket goodies to boost performance later. the whole short track / long track riding smoother thing really depends on riding style of yourself and the idots that shreaded the trail. most people don't know how to preserve a trail, and you end up with the humpity bumity. now if all short tracks made them at "X" speed, then a long track at "Y" speed most likely will be smoother. put a short track at "Z" speed will skim the bump tops and be smoother than both. it's a formula that you will have to figure out by trying other sleds. hopefully your buddies will have a long track to swap you for an hour or two. just remember the longer the track, the exponentially harder it is to turn. them goofy guys with 166s aren't leading the trail pack now are they?? i would suggest you get a 600 with a 121" x 1.5" lug. it will boondock nicely, just need to lean forward to get the sled on plane in deep snow. i ride short tracks in the way backlands of Alaska's mountains. my 121" x 2.25" hangs with the long track guys. sure they beat me in super deep and steep, but not by much. if the snow has any density, i usually beat them. trail runs i'm always waiting for them to catch up after a couple miles. different set-ups require different riding styles. you not wanting top speed sounds like a great opertunity for a deep lug short track to rip around on. Brian.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm...thats certainly an interesting perspective...one thing im kinda sorta worried about with going with a taller track would be tearing up the trails myself...do a lot of guys run 1.5" tracks on the trail?

also, the sled im looking at currently is a 99 XC SP...are there any clearance issues with that sled at 1.5"??

·
Registered
184 Posts
You will be suprises how good the xc 600's do on gas. My cousin has a 01 indy 500 and most times my 600 would do better on gas that his 500. Reason being is that is 500 is always working to keep up with everyone else. Get the 600

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well this may have been a moot point....cause the one that i am really hoping to get now is a 700....lol......

thats for the opinions, though, guys!!!

JJ....where you from???

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by JJ1997@Aug 31 2005, 10:15 PM
I live north and west of Galesburg near a small town called North Henderson!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856208
[/quote]

ever been to see the elvis impersonator in galesburg?? :) hes AWESOME!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by NYripper@Sep 4 2005, 01:25 PM
Have you thought about the 600 Switchback?.  Sounds like a perfect sled for you if its within budget.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=860649
[/quote]

yeah, the swtichback would be my number one choice, but there aren't a whole lot for sale...and its probably out of my price range....right now i am limited to 2500-3000.....

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Try for a 2001-2002 xc 600 or 500 those are great sleds and are cheap. Since you want to extend to stay in that price range you might have to drop below the 2001 year if you wanna get a 600 or 700. 136 kits will run you about 500 bucks. I only buy from tracksusa. For tracks and extension kits.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Maybe this warrants a new thread, but how hard would it be to put a 1 up seat on a 136" 2 up sled? There have to be a few of those kicking around your area in your price range.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts