Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....

My bro (machasin) and I are contemplating making the trek to quebec next weekend on a quest for snow...... however we've never been up that-a way.....

Any suggestions on where would be a good place to trek to/how long the drive would be... i'm thinkin a 10hr drive probably to find some rideable snow... also, checking the trail conditions it looks like the trails are 'limited'.. however checking out the pics people have posted recently.. they look like a nice 'limited' :)

Suggestions / comments / bitching about the weather / general shenanigans are welcome..

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing, if you want to drive your sled in the month of Jan it's going to have to be Que.

Hit the Que forum for info on places to stay. One thing is for sure you are going to have to bust out the wallet.

900Km one way in the truck = say $150 in gas
Que Trail Pass? = $150 I think.
1.20L for sled gas in Que = say $200
Hotel avg = $100 a night maybe more.
Food Beer = $200

Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
sorry to burst your bubble, but the Quebec trails are shot, and will most likely be closed within 48 hrs until further notice. I just cancelled my trip I had planned for the 13th. They've been getting snow, but it is rain now and the ground is not completely frozen.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Doonut.... at this point money is no object ;)

SRX4ME: really?? gawddamn rain... where were you headed???[/b]
yep. there have been spots to ride the last week or so, but it'll all be gone by tomorrow most likely. I was planning on heading to Mt. Valin. I'm still heading up, but not until the 25th.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Trails shot??? I was reading the report last nite. Sounds like they have some have decent stuff going on.
http://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/index.jsp?numPage=235

TRAIL CONDITIONS

http://www.fcmq.qc.ca/english/etat_sentiers.asp[/b]

they did...but when you combine heavy traffic due to the limited trails that are open, a minimal base of snow to begin with, above freezing temperatures, and rain in the short term forecast that will not last. Just trying to spare anyone the heartache and expense of a long trip for nothing. Have a look in the QC Forum and see. Everyone who was there said it's over for now.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I agree this weekend would not be good. But with the expected drop in temps for next week. It would be a good idea at least to plan it out. That way you could leave last minute knowing your route, have maps...etc.

I would look into St. Donat. 350 km's closer than Mont Valins.

Trails at Mont Valins
http://www.motoneigevalin.com/english/etat_sentier.html

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
they did...but when you combine heavy traffic due to the limited trails that are open, a minimal base of snow to begin with, above freezing temperatures, and rain in the short term forecast that will not last. Just trying to spare anyone the heartache and expense of a long trip for nothing. Have a look in the QC Forum and see. Everyone who was there said it's over for now.[/b]
Hey SRX, what about up north, say Parent area, F'd up there too?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I agree this weekend would not be good. But with the expected drop in temps for next week. It would be a good idea at least to plan it out. That way you could leave last minute knowing your route, have maps...etc.

I would look into St. Donat. 350 km's closer than Mont Valins.
Trails at Mont Valins
http://www.motoneigevalin.com/english/etat_sentier.html[/b]
I heard they trails were very icy there last week. Isn't that where the tour guide was killed on the back of a rental sled?

Hey SRX, what about up north, say Parent area, F'd up there too?[/b]
not sure - not familiar with that area.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Hey SRX, what about up north, say Parent area, F'd up there too?[/b]
Don't bother...it's straight east of Val D'Or which has nothing as well. Parent is usually awesome this time of year, as it most of Quebec from Mont Laurier up. If it helps at all, here's a pic of Parent from the last week of March/04, when it was all mud around Ottawa, ON:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts