Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Polaris Indy XCR 850 136
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subject of studs has been beat to death but I haven't found exactly the info I am looking for and I wanted to share my experiences as well and see if anyone has had a similar one.

I have run both woodys trigger 1.63s in the cobra 1.35 track as well as the mega bites 1.45 in a different 1.35 cobra track (different sled). I found that I ripped out a few mega bites but I did not see that issue with the triggers. I like the mega bites as a ride mostly hard packed trails and the chisel design seems to really hook well in these conditions, plus it doesn't hurt that they are cheaper. I don't ride that much ice so triggers aren't exactly the best option for me but obviously I don't want to keep ripping out studs with the mega bites.

Does anyone know if the these studs are made from the same type of steel? Also, is the diameter of the bottom of the stud smaller on the mega bites than the trigger (less surface area on track and more easily ripped through?)

Tower Cylinder Audio equipment Gas Font
Font Cylinder Auto part Metal Composite material

·
Premium Member
18,795 Posts
The subject of studs has been beat to death but I haven't found exactly the info I am looking for and I wanted to share my experiences as well and see if anyone has had a similar one.

I have run both woodys trigger 1.63s in the cobra 1.35 track as well as the mega bites 1.45 in a different 1.35 cobra track (different sled). I found that I ripped out a few mega bites but I did not see that issue with the triggers. I like the mega bites as a ride mostly hard packed trails and the chisel design seems to really hook well in these conditions, plus it doesn't hurt that they are cheaper. I don't ride that much ice so triggers aren't exactly the best option for me but obviously I don't want to keep ripping out studs with the mega bites.

Does anyone know if the these studs are made from the same type of steel? Also, is the diameter of the bottom of the stud smaller on the mega bites than the trigger (less surface area on track and more easily ripped through?)

View attachment 2123336 View attachment 2123337
I refuse to use Mega-bites. Mega-bites are cheaper because they have an inferior designed head. They don't grip the track nearly as well as say the Gold Diggers. I use only the 5/16" 1.575 GD 180 pcs, 4 per segment in double backers down the center of the 129" x 1 1/4 Ripsaw II track. Polaris 850 Indy, approx.170 hp. Never rip one out.
Not sure about Triggers as I don't use them. I do see others using them and they seem to bend rather easily. I may try them this season. My 2 Cts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I refuse to use Mega-bites. Mega-bites are cheaper because they have an inferior designed head. They don't grip the track nearly as well as say the Gold Diggers. I use only the 5/16" 1.575 GD 180 pcs, 4 per segment in double backers down the center of the 129" x 1 1/4 Ripsaw II track. Polaris 850 Indy, approx.170 hp. Never rip one out.
Not sure about Triggers as I don't use them. I do see others using them and they seem to bend rather easily. I may try them this season. My 2 Cts.
I did bend a few triggers but that does not bother me, they are easy enough to replace. I would rather bend a stud than have it rip through.

·
Premium Member
20,871 Posts
Exactly. I’ve used about 2500 triggers now, big ones, 1.6s-2.8’s, and they Hook up. The mega bites first hit the seen in ‘02 I think it was, and I tried them for a few years. I they dubbed them “mega spins” and that was the end. The head is inferior, the metal is inferior, and that chisel effect isn’t really a thing if the stud can’t penetrate, which IMO, the square shank is to thick to do.

·
Registered
45,560 Posts
Hard to beat the gold diggers for track pull-thru's. Our guy have run mega bites in the past....they work fine on trails, and seem to hold up well. None claimed a pull-thru after a season.
As far as the trigger studs, their more of a drag studs on ice, and don't hold up as well as those others when riding in a variety of trail conditions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I just got some interesting info from a rep at woodys. To make triggers, they just turn down mega-bite studs on a CNC Lathe and that is why triggers cost more due to that additional machining process. They are made from the same exact material and and have the same base design and carbide tip.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
I’ve actually never bent a trigger. I’ve snapped a few.
I’ve seen a bunch of them bent on my buddies sleds (pretty much all our group runs BUT me ) the other common thing is we have had to have thier heat exchangers tigged up from triggers snapping off like you said and blowing a hole in exchanger. I usually run gold diggers or power points on my trail sleds just for the durability. But I may run triggers in this years sled. 2 things I don’t use are megabites and those plastic molded backers that are also the nuts from stud boy.

·
Premium Member
20,871 Posts
3000 miles on these. Given, I pretty much am only interested in riding, on snow. When conditions are poor, I won’t go out. I know not everybody shares that mind set, and more than once I’ve considered having an older sled that I could maybe ride on those days. This is my older sled though.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Train Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I am thinking am going to go with 1.575 triggers in this cobra 1.35 (3 per bar in the center) on my XCR 136. I didn't have any issues with them last time so why not.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I like megabites for the trail and chisels for racing. I don’t just take the megabites out of the packaging and install them though, first they get taken to the grinder. After that it’s the closest thing to a carbide chisel you can get and they work. I also like the pro backers.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts