Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone posted once about these, just wondering how they are working and if anyone else has used them on the firecat with studs. Once my shaper bars are worn out I was thinking of trying the dooleys...

·
Registered
73 Posts
6" Dooley's on my F7. Wouldn't know it was the same machine. Darting is gone! Still pushes a bit on ice but turns alot better. I recommend them.

·
Registered
861 Posts
never tried them, but any feedback or input that I got about them, was that they were not good on the Firecats.

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
any dual carbide won't be as good on ice, as the weight on the ski is then split between the two 'bides, resulting in less penetration.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looking at all my options, hate to say it but unless I get some snow around home here my season may be over. The wife and I go to Cancun in Feburary, and in March I head up to the angle for some Ice fishing at Jakes, Rob if you still swear by the powder pros after this season I may just get a pair for next year. Curious as to how they will wear, what with unusual keel bottom. I told the wife it will snow like crazy while I am sitting on the beach, I will be wearing my AC hat to keep from burning the top of my head. B)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I run Dooly 8" Carbides...They are spectacular !!

I let a few other people ride my sled with them, now four of my buddies have them on their non-firecat sleds.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Cant speak for them on an FCat, but my buddy who is a polaris dealer put the on his XC800 and now swears by them. Rob is probably right about the ice though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I TRIED EVERYTHING TO STOP THE DARTING WITH THE STOCK SKAG AND NOTHING HELPED. I PUT 153 STUDS AND 6" WOODY DOOLEYS ON AND THE SLED IS AWSOME!! HANDLES GREAT BUT ON GLARE ICE IT DOESN'T TURN AS SHARP AS I WOULD LIKE.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'll be trying out my new set of Woody's Dooly's tomorrow and then next week in the U.P. I'll post how they worked compared to the stock Cat skis w/Woody's regular 8" carbides.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again; the ONLY thing that will turn on ice -- ESPECIALLY THE ROCK-HARD FROZEN ICE MOST OF ARE EXPERIENCING RIGHT NOW DUE TO THE EXTREME COLD TEMPS -- is brand new carbides, and THEN -- depending on the base, or LACK of it -- they might only stay sharp enough for a day if you're lucky! -- Roy

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roy T you are correct on the ice issue I got two days of carving on icy corners with my new 6 inch shaper bars, after that the front end slid across the ice like the bides were worn down. I have the limiter strap in # 2 hole. I tipped the sled on it's side and I still have a decent amount of carbide left but after 700 miles on them they just wouldn't bite that ice..
The sled wasn't studded at the time so that wasn't pushing me, I just got it home now with new sway bar and 96 megabites with red backers. Look nice..
On a side note, The coupler issue makes me curious. I checked mine and I am getting contact from the rear arm. I have them set at #2 also. I would like to try out the sled on some nasty stuff again to see how it reacts with the sway bar intact as the first five miles in the 2 footers I put her through she just flew across that stuff before the sway bar came apart.. Fully coupled she worked like advertised so to speak...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi...Got the 8" doolys on my F5 Sno Pro......103 1.450 Woodys Mega-Bites. All I can say is that these are Awesome. Makes the F-cat a real point and shoot machine. No darting, awesome accuracy. I highly recomend.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by rob@Jan 23 2003, 09:52 AM
any dual carbide won't be as good on ice, as the weight on the ski is then split between the two 'bides, resulting in less penetration.
Rob, I have to disagree with you on that statement based on my experience with precision skis. I had regular AC skis with stock carbides on( new as the sled was brand new) and the first ride I took to break in the sled was on a lake with smooth, hard ice. I have 120 carbide studs and I could turn my skis any way I wanted and had little impact on direction. My son-in-law had a new doo with precision skis and studs and had to be careful not to spin out as the skis were so aggressive. Based on that experience I ended up getting some precision skis for my sled and found that I could back way off of my spring settings and still have plenty of turning power. My feeling is that as the ski is turned, the inside carbides are driven into the ice making the skis much more aggressive. I have an 800, not a firecat so I can't speak to that sleds handling but I would think the reaction would be similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
could be, and I haven't tried the Simmons skis on a FC yet so I'll reserve judgement. I'm forming my opinion of "dual carbide" skis from the new Polaris ones. They are terrible on ice and push all over the place, that I'm sure of because I've tried them.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I've got good news & bad news on my Woody's Dooly ride. Gotta' fly right now, but I'll give a detailed report later tonight. Stay tuned in for more! -- Roy

·
Registered
242 Posts
I put dooly's on my F5, night and day man night and day. NO and I repeat NO darting.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
OK, put 120 miles on my std F7 (sno-pro track, 102 studs) on groomed trails with a new set of Woody's Dooly's 6" carbides.

The good news first: They DID INDEED take care of ALL the darting/tracking/hunting/wandering issues the sled was experiencing with the stock Cat skis and Woody's "regular" 8" carbides, and the steering effort was NOT increased.

Now the bad news: As excited as I was at first -- no darting, and being able to turn in the parking lot on ice with new SHARP carbides -- my excitement quickly diminished with each and every passing mile, as I discovered I could literally no longer turn on the trail. On ice yes, with the new carbides, but could not for the life of me get the damn things to turn on the trail. Nor could any of the three guys that tried my sled out -- pushed really, REALLY bad. In that respect, I've got to agree with Rob's statement above concering his experience with the dual-carbide Poos. My bud's M-10 XC700 w/Dooly's is the same way -- very vague, and slow rather unresponsive turning. Not fun or good if you are ANY kind of "aggressive" rider at all. In fact, damn near unsafe if you ask me, especially with how many sleds were out this past weekend!

The Dooly's host bars are 13" long, and a standard type single host bar is 17" long. That's 30% less length, and that MUST have something to do with the so called "push."

Today I put my worn 8" single Woody's carbides back on, and just like magic, I could turn my sled again -- not on ice with the worn carbides, but on the trail... yes, MUCH better! At this point if I had to choose between the mild to med darting I was experiencing, or being able to turn... we'll gotta' be able to turn first! Rob, I'm gettin' one step close to those SLTs, unless the Simmons you guys try, out-shine the SLTs and Powder Pros! -- Roy

P.S. Saw a little sno-cross on TV tonight. Holy [email protected]#$%^& can THOSE guys turn! Wow!!! Wish MY sled could turn like that!

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for the honest apprasial, Roy. And that just about is what I would have expected. I'm afraid that to get the very most out of the Firecat experience, aftermarket skis are required ^_^

·
Registered
198 Posts
Does it drive anyone else besides me crazy that we have to go to the aftermarket to sort out basic handling issues such as cornering and darting on a new sled. I always end up spending a lot of money to get these things resolved. Sometimes I wonder if the manufacturers actually get on these sleds and ride them. I can't believe they don't notice the sleds darting all over the trail and lacking grip in the corners. I have always felt that the manufacturer that takes the time to correct these issues before the sled gets in the consumers hands will gain marketshare. If we can go out into the market and find the solutions surely they can as well. That's my beef for the day. :angry: <_< :angry:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts