Hardcore Sledder banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
91 was the 550 in the Prowler chassis, not the best sled either, and the 440 Prowler special was far from the best race sled, it only took a year trying to make that competitive and they switched to the ZR.
1991 was the EXT Special in the AFS body. One year wonder sled as it was replaced in 1992 by the 550.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Well it is hard to keep up, my bad, they went from a 530-550-580 to try outrun a 488. 😎😂😂
The 550 first appeared in 1992. I suppose you could say it was competition for the 488 but was not a race sled. The 580 came out in 1993 and was built to go against the XLT 580, and when it was used in the ZR Chassis it was superior to all other brands when it came to racing.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The question I have is how you believe the 488 Poo was fast and durable? How do you explain Hibbert winning the Jeep 500 on a 90 Cat 530 and if you take a look in that rea at oval race results Brian Sturgen dominated many classes for several years around 88 to mid 90’s all on these so called under achieving Cats.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
The question I have is how you believe the 488 Poo was fast and durable? How do you explain Hibbert winning the Jeep 500 on a 90 Cat 530 and if you take a look in that rea at oval race results Brian Sturgen dominated many classes for several years around 88 to mid 90’s all on these so called under achieving Cats.
The 90 EXT special was a great sled in it's day, the 89 not so much, Brian was a good rider and on Ice, the FIII Polaris's had an issue with the front end pushing. To keep the front end from being darty Polaris didn't run as much ski pressure which made for better trail handling, but then built the Trail Special, and later the 500SP with a tipped bulkhead to counter that for racing. Polaris did try to get the tipped bulkhead approved for FIII but since there were no 650's using that bulkhead it wasn't approved.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
All I’m getting at that it wasn’t all doom and gloom for anything but a Poo back then. I lived it and owned a bunch of these sleds including the 89 Grey Special addition 488 fan Polaris ( my girlfriend then and wife now rode it.) I admit it was quick but we did manage to stick a piston and had to pay they blamed it on the oil which we bought from the dealer. Quaker State with the green cap, it was like molasses at really cold weather. Never bought that again. Another sled that could give a 488 Poo a spanking was a Phaser especially with a Bender pipe. At the same time I think it was 90 Cat sold a Cougar with the 500 suzuki fanner which in the right hands could run with them all.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
I can't believe a Dealer sold Quaker State oil. I had friends that had Phasers back then, but the SRV was a much better race sled, the Fett Brothers were dangerous with them, but in XC racing polaris was King until Hibbert and the 90 EXT Special, Cat did take a step backwards with the Prowler Special, but with the first ZR they started a little dynasty well until Ski-Doos REV and Bryan Dyrdahl.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
SRV’s were great but wouldnt you consider a 485 fan Phazer more compatible to a 488 Indy. Had one bud I ran with a fair bit with SRV and it was very dependable and a good fast sled but bigger motor also.

·
Registered
40,766 Posts
Those srv 540's were pretty decent sleds in the early 80's for being a fan sled...i had one till owning a vmax in 85. I could remember taking a test ride around late 86 on their new 570 exciter...what a turd in every way. Watched Bender accomplish some incredible oval wins on them when i started racing our modified big bore indy 488 at the same events. A year later polaris released the indy 500. As much as i liked the indy the 488 motor stock...when heavily modified didn't hold up well.
As far as the 488 phazer it was no match for a stock indy 500...motor or handling.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
SRV’s were great but wouldnt you consider a 485 fan Phazer more compatible to a 488 Indy. Had one bud I ran with a fair bit with SRV and it was very dependable and a good fast sled but bigger motor also.
In XC racing the SRV was a lot better chassis and the Indys were hard to beat so they let other manufactures run bigger engines. I never saw anyone competitive on a Phaser. It wasn't until 91 they started limiting displacement but were still naming sleds that could race the pro class. Polaris was allowed to race the 400 indy so to be able to race their new 440 they called it the XC400.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
It's what they had at the time and back in that day, things were different. But again, if you need to continually argue about a sled built over 30 years ago, you really need to get a life.
Lol. You have the most posts in this thread. Take your own advice little man.

As for me, I don't miss any of my Cats or Poos from that era. They were all junk compared to anything modern. My back hurts just thinking about it.

·
Registered
40,766 Posts
In XC racing the SRV was a lot better chassis and the Indys were hard to beat so they let other manufactures run bigger engines. I never saw anyone competitive on a Phaser. It wasn't until 91 they started limiting displacement but were still naming sleds that could race the pro class. Polaris was allowed to race the 400 indy so to be able to race their new 440 they called it the XC400.
We had one of those new porsche red xc400's...only got to do some testing on it before it was stolen right out of the trailer in the motel parking lot that night. Seem like a nice sled, chassis wise, but the motor being a 440 was soft, at least compared to my built 400 indy that we bored and ported to a 440.

·
Registered
40,766 Posts
Lol. You have the most posts in this thread. Take your own advice little man.

As for me, I don't miss any of my Cats or Poos from that era. They were all junk compared to anything modern. My back hurts just thinking about it.
Those old sleds were never built for comfort, but those older indys even way back in the 80's handled trails better than most brands. I could remember a buddy letting me use his 83 indy 440 for a week in quebec while i was still waiting for parts on my srv dual carb setup. It wasn't a half bad sled and handled as well as my srv. Thought the srv rode a tad better and had more low end, but the indy was way better on fuel.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts