Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Funny,I towed a lot of cats with my 650s.Im pretty sure every 700 wildcat blew up and most of the first thundercats too.I still have a 650 on the shelf too by the way.

·
Registered
40,342 Posts
As much as i never got along very well owning a triple our guys won plenty of grass and ices races on the indy 650's whether stock, improved, pro stock or mod. They were dominate for several years. You just needed to your homework building the engines.

·
Premium Member
16,086 Posts
I've owned a 1979 Centurion 500, a 1984 Indy 600, a 1989 Indy 650, a 1991 Indy 650, a 1995 Indy 650 RXL. All were triples. Not monoblock junk. When moded, these 650s were the fastest thing in their class out there. I used to race my 650 against many sleds at my local White Lake ice track with great success. In fact, I helped a customer install a set of SLP pipes on his 650 and beat his riding buddy who had just purchased a new 92 Vmax4. This led to him having me turbocharge the world's first Vmax4. XCR1250 has a 650 that would blow your mind. His daughter had another less powerful one that beat all our 800 XCRs at the Moose Lake shootouts near his home. No fast Cats in attendance. I also run a small engine repair shop. Have several customers who own 650 RXLs. I've never seen any crank problems or any major engine problems. This is a old wive's tale. The 89 and 91 I turbocharged. They ran very well. I did kick the butt of a new Cat 700 twin with my turboed 89 650 at Elbow Lake west of Houghton Lake one Sunday after he and his buddy had raced and beaten every other sled there. It happened in front of a small crowd standing on shore. My sled had a 2-up seat and a backrest. The look on his face was priceless.:LOL:

·
Registered
40,342 Posts
I've owned a 1979 Centurion 500, a 1984 Indy 600, a 1989 Indy 650, a 1991 Indy 650, a 1995 Indy 650 RXL. All were triples. Not monoblock junk. When moded, these 650s were the fastest thing in their class out there. I used to race my 650 against many sleds at my local White Lake ice track with great success. In fact, I helped a customer install a set of SLP pipes on his 650 and beat his riding buddy who had just purchased a new 92 Vmax4. This led to him having me turbocharge the world's first Vmax4. XCR1250 has a 650 that would blow your mind. His daughter had another less powerful one that beat all our 800 XCRs at the Moose Lake shootouts near his home. No fast Cats in attendance. I also run a small engine repair shop. Have several customers who own 650 RXLs. I've never seen any crank problems or any major engine problems. This is a old wive's tale. The 89 and 91 I turbocharged. They ran very well. I did kick the butt of a new Cat 700 twin with my turboed 89 650 at Elbow Lake west of Houghton Lake one Sunday after he and his buddy had raced and beaten every other sled there. It happened in front of a small crowd standing on shore. My sled had a 2-up seat and a backrest. The look on his face was priceless.:LOL:
Heck those 93 750 vmax's stock were a turd. Our buddies 93 xlt 580's with aaen pipes and 34 carbs destroyed them in 1000' drag races. Our engine guys built a 780 out of the fuji 650 triple using polaris watercraft crank components and put it in a 95 xcr 600 chassis. It beat one of benders modded 750 vmax's. They asked what was in that sled after getting beat...we told a 650 with pipes...the looks we got from those guys was priceless.

·
Premium Member
16,086 Posts
Heck those 93 750 vmax's stock were a turd. Our buddies 93 xlt 580's with aaen pipes and 34 carbs destroyed them in 1000' drag races. Our engine guys built a 780 out of the fuji 650 triple using polaris watercraft crank components and put it in a 95 xcr 600 chassis. It beat one of benders modded 750 vmax's. They asked what was in that sled after getting beat...we told a 650 with pipes...the looks we got from those guys was priceless.
Tim Bender was in attendance at DTR in December 91 when I dynoed the world's first Vmax4. It made 200 hp at 7psi boost and 217 at under 9 psi. I still have the dyno sheets. Tim was amazed. Jim at DTR rode the sled outside his shop and marveled at the power and response. This is all written up in the DTR newsletter.

I took my turboed 89 650 and the turboed Vmax4 to a local 1/4 mile radar run at White Lake before we took it to the dyno. My 650 went 109 mph and the Vmax went much faster to 105 but it ran out of gas at the 1/8 mile mark because we still hadn't installed the electric fuel system yet. My 650 used just the Middlesex mechanical fuel pump system perfected by Mike Mazzur. It worked fine at up to 9 psi boost. So, we had installed a similar system on the Vmax4. It wouldnt work like it did on the 650. We bought the electric fuel system from Greg Bennett of 1st choice turbos while on the dyno and installed it at the second test. The rest is history, as 1st Choice and DTR began building their own kits for the VMax4 and other sleds around the new series 53 Aerocharger turbo. That turbo proved to be too small for the 750. My setup used the older larger Aerocharger model 60. It would run circles around the series 53 setup. I still use it.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Hmm, there is a youtube video about one of those. Maybe it's the one. Pretty wicked.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Never seen a blown up 700 but tons of 650 poo's. Never seen a thundercat that hatched a motor either. Hmm?
I ride mostly northern WI and the UP so if a sled has an issue at running wfo its apparent in a hurry.I still remember all of the guys standing next to those 700s with the hood up when they came out.I really dont know what the issue was with them all blowing up but those sleds seem to be just gone from existence now.The first batch of Tcats also littered the trails.

·
Premium Member
16,086 Posts
Hmm, there is a youtube video about one of those. Maybe it's the one. Pretty wicked.
The one I built was a fast sled. The owner took it to a big race in Lewiston, MI. He was running race fuel and 20 psi boost. Did very well. Then he ran out of race gas and had to fill it with 93 pump fuel. Scattered it. It was such a promotional piece for Yamaha that they warrantied the engine. I immediately developed a kit for my new 93 750 Storm based on the same model 60 turbo. It was faster than the Vmax with the small series 53 turbo. I did build one Storm with the same series 53 turbo. It didn't run very strongly. Way too much exhaust back pressure.
Up till I did that sled, DTR and 1st choice were of the opinion that you couldn't turbocharge a full case reed engine. I didn't know that so I did it. Turned out that they were trying to use the too small series 53 turbo on them. The T-Cat triple was also done by me right afterwards using the larger turbo. My 93 Storm was faster than the T-Cat. The series 60 turbo may have been too small for it. I still sell kits for them both.

·
Registered
40,342 Posts
There haven't been many turbo's seen here back in the day. Could recall a middlesex turbo xlt at the grass drags, but it usually couldn't finish a pass without breaking something. You knew it was a turbo by the sound whenever that sled ran.

·
Premium Member
16,086 Posts
There haven't been many turbo's seen here back in the day. Could recall a middlesex turbo xlt at the grass drags, but it usually couldn't finish a pass without breaking something. You knew it was a turbo by the sound whenever that sled ran.
I owned a 95 XCR 600 monoblock with XLT cyls and it was turboed by 1st choice. Had a keyed and welded crank. Not that impressive. I took it on trade for a bigger sled. I got rid of it quickly. These early 1st choice kits used even smaller versions of the series 53 turbo to achieve instant throttle response. They ran better with a larger turbo.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The one I built was a fast sled. The owner took it to a big race in Lewiston, MI. He was running race fuel and 20 psi boost. Did very well. Then he ran out of race gas and had to fill it with 93 pump fuel. Scattered it. It was such a promotional piece for Yamaha that they warrantied the engine. I immediately developed a kit for my new 93 750 Storm based on the same model 60 turbo. It was faster than the Vmax with the small series 53 turbo. I did build one Storm with the same series 53 turbo. It didn't run very strongly. Way too much exhaust back pressure.
Up till I did that sled, DTR and 1st choice were of the opinion that you couldn't turbocharge a full case reed engine. I didn't know that so I did it. Turned out that they were trying to use the too small series 53 turbo on them. The T-Cat triple was also done by me right afterwards using the larger turbo. My 93 Storm was faster than the T-Cat. The series 60 turbo may have been too small for it. I still sell kits for them both.
I am sure with the turbo technology, being carbed, etc, they either ran like raped apes, or stumbled and farted. The one in the video had sat for years, and sounded really cool. I think it went ok, more the sound and the idea of it. My cousin bought a first year Vmax4 and it was disapointing. He spent a lot of time and money trying to get the clutching to work decent. It still went mid 90's in 1000 feet with just trail studs.

·
Premium Member
16,086 Posts
If Polaris is planning to use a turbo on the new 650, and they do it right, it should run very well. EFI is a major benefit for a turboed 2-stroke. I've built a 2002 EFI ZR 800 Cat using a Subaru WRX IHI 350 hp ball bearing turbo. It ran extremely well at up to 15 psi boost on 110 race fuel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,086 Posts
I am sure with the turbo technology, being carbed, etc, they either ran like raped apes, or stumbled and farted. The one in the video had sat for years, and sounded really cool. I think it went ok, more the sound and the idea of it. My cousin bought a first year Vmax4 and it was disapointing. He spent a lot of time and money trying to get the clutching to work decent. It still went mid 90's in 1000 feet with just trail studs.
The 92 VMax4 had very poor clutching. I replaced the stock primary with one from an Indy 500 twin. It fit perfectly. We also had to replace the entire jackshaft and secondary with one for a Cat. The stock secondary wouldn't upshift/backshift well. The amazing thing was that it really worked to allow boost to build before loading the engine and slowing boost response. I then learned how to get this same response by creative clutching using specially moded weights, springs and helix. I had to do that on my 94 Storm due to the wilder porting causing response to be too slow. Clutching a turbod 2-stroke is very challenging for most tuners. Even experienced ones.

BTW, one of my customers with a turboed 93 Storm ran 119 mph radar in 1000 ft at 9 psi boost on Whitmore Lake, MI.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Around that same like 93 or so time RPC (Reichards Performance)had a yami that was running real strong at all the radar runs around here.I think Jeff Simons built that before he had Simons cpr but Im not really sure.If I remember correctly it had a turbo and intercooler because they were always stacking snow in the engine compartment.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts