Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'17 ZR9000RR
1,591 Posts
FFS...Might as well just open the damn thing year-round if their goal is to kill off the deer herd. I know the wolves are doing a great job up here.

·
Super Moderator
36,442 Posts
I have never seen as many Deer as we do now, many days while traveling from Town of Round Lake here, to Hayward we will see more than 40 Deer along the road right a ways, even on my property every day we will see at least 3-8 Deer, and an Elk now and then.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
There is a question on this questionnaire to extend the gun deer hunting to 19 days which could effect the openning date for trails. Go to the DNR's web sight Hearing Online Input and go through the questionnaire to answer question 10. The deadline is April 16

I found it and responded.:thumbsup:

My Mercury is a deer magnet. Just hit my 3rd deer in the 5 years I've owned it. Also 1 turkey and one semi ice chunk.
Making me believe my deer whistles don't work:dunno:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
IMO< many staes are suffering a loss in hunter numbers and lic sales, , so many are trying to make there $$ back, by offering longer seasons, to sell more lic's again, as they feel longer seasons, make folks think they have a better chance at things!
they don't give a crap about the wildlife anymore(if ever) its like most things, its a business and there wanting to MAKE money!

they are typically way too slow to correct there mistakes too and when caught in one, they pass the buck to blame others for things that go wrong!

I seen it here in PA, all too well
and right now there really screwing up bears in our state, went from a basic 7 day season to a 30+ day season< all to sell tags and make back $$ they lost in hunter numbers!

sad fact is, money makes things happen more than logic or science and real data in management advice!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
A reminder to follow your county's CDAC meetings as well. At least everyone in central and south.
Decisions on holiday hunt and extending archery/cross bow to end of January are made at these meetings. These affect your trails!

All of the initial meetings were done phone, and minutes posted here:https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/CDACFind.aspx

There is another online survey starting on 4/16 for your specific county as well.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
In some counties they've already extended muzzle loader season into late December, so in some spots trails already can't open until after the 1st of the year. I'm not in favor of them extending it....but the rationale of the DNR seems to be all over the place in recent years....i don't think they even know what they are doing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Its my understanding they want to move the firearm opener to earlier in Nov so hunters have some of the rut to hunt ,,, 2019s hunt was unusually late and buck harvest was way down ,,, Lots of changes proposed for archery also

For some of you cry babies ,,,, Hunting has been around a lot longer then snowmobiling and has more traditions

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I would be all for them moving it earlier. That makes sense.
Why so late in first place?

I understand hunting has been around longer. No issues with that. I’ll explain what our county clubs deals with.
Our issue is the new hunting “season” and it getting pushed later into the riding season.
There was never a holiday hunt to contest with. That hunt never affected us till lately. Go back 4 years. That was first year we had the holiday hunt, we got dumped on with snow in December. We could not open all of December due to the hunt. Due to 2 landowners, we could not open. Jan thaw hit, and snow was shit the rest of the year. December was the only good month of riding. We did not open the rest of season except for 2 marginal days.
The thing that we had to explain to CDAC, is that yes, it’s only 9 days of hunting, but could shut the trails for 15+ days. 15+ days is the exact amount of days we were open last riding season!
Each side says it’s only 9 days, but it has a lot more effect than that!
Our county’s CDAC has been told by DNR to reduce the herd. That will continue for ever I feel. So CDAC only has certain amount of tools available for reducing herd, and holiday hunt is one of them.

I have no issue with holiday hunt if there is no snow, but decisions are based in April, and not December….

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm sorry but mother nature dictates ability to snowmobile with NO guarantees you can ride in nov or dec ,,,, DNR is looking to extend the firearm season to 19 days with that season ending the sunday after thanksgiving ,,, Archery season is proposed to be an oct event only and muzzle loader season will remain a dec event ,,, Deer shot during warmer months have a tendency to spoil so that probably wont change for a late summer hunt

Given a choice between sledding or hunting ,,, thats a no brainier for me I will sell my sled since I hunt, fish, atv, and a host of other activities ,,,, Maybe I'm just not as hard core as some others on this site

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'm sorry but mother nature dictates ability to snowmobile with NO guarantees you can ride in nov or dec ,,,, DNR is looking to extend the firearm season to 19 days with that season ending the sunday after thanksgiving ,,, Archery season is proposed to be an oct event only and muzzle loader season will remain a dec event ,,, Deer shot during warmer months have a tendency to spoil so that probably wont change for a late summer hunt

Given a choice between sledding or hunting ,,, thats a no brainier for me I will sell my sled since I hunt, fish, atv, and a host of other activities ,,,, Maybe I'm just not as hard core as some others on this site
I have to say this,
one, deer shot in earlier warmer weather do NOT tend to spoil
well not unless you don;t take care of them properly
there are countless states that have deer seasons and LONG deer seasons in warm places, where temps will be in the near 80's and they ain;t loosing deer left and right due to temps

people just learned to adjust and take care of things faster,
so, claiming more deer will spoil based on a starting date is rather silly(and no bash here just saying)

starting a date earlier in the rut, many times leads to more deer being killed(buck's typically)
due to there a little more off guard with breeding on there mind, and being more active possibly in day time
thus increasing the odds of them being killed!

state game depts typically open dated to longer seasons, with TWO intentions
one, to get more deer killed
and get more hunters to WANT to hunt, which them sells more lic's/Tags
IMO< the latter is more of a driving force in many depts
due to a decrease in hunters and lic sales in most states
there is a very large drop in hunters, a lot less new one's and older one's are giving it up as they age, or just don't have the time, or desire they used to

so adding longer seasons, is a way to TRY and to entice hunters into hunting, by giving them more chances to kill a deer, they fell it will again entice more to keep at the sport, or just join in on things!

its a double edged sword of sorts, however,
as if they kills go up a LOT<> the following yrs can end up with a lot less deer
and at some point, this then becomes a even larger issue
as hunters get disgusted with low deer numbers and then these depts end up scrambling to find ways to keep sales up and get deer back! and a LOT of passing the buck on excuses of what is wrong!

·
Registered
111 Posts
deer shot in earlier warmer weather do NOT tend to spoil
well not unless you don;t take care of them properly

Im thinking your talking about ethical hunters ,,,, Our season other then youth hunts dont start till mid sept and I personally wont hunt till mid oct as archery is my choice ,,, I live in a norther climate and hang my deer for a few days before butchering

The main bitch to this change is that in the 2019 season a lot of hunters were disappointed by the lack of filled tags ( I have meat in my freezer)

It is a double edge sword ,,, Some years you get good snow for riding some years you don't

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Anyone see the results?

Extend 9 days to 19:
Yes:14,820
No: 42,208

I think the people spoke!
The Wisconsin Conservation Congress received a record-setting 64,943 responses to the 2020 Spring Hearing Questionnaire.

Eliminate the antlerless-only holiday firearm deer season
Yes: 33027
No: 20522
Looking at those numbers from statewide, helps paint the statewide picture.
But this varies depending on county. My county was about 55% in favor of having it, based upon survey.

Our CDAC viewed it as about 50/50.
I attended the phone meeting of our CDAC last night.
They looked at the potential economic impacts of not having the holiday hunt. They viewed it, as every local business needs any additional income right now. That's a risk they were willing to take.
They are hoping that due to potential large increase of meet prices, it will encourage more people to get out and fill their tags/freezers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts