Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand you can register your sled in Wisconsin even if it is registered in Illinois. Can someone help me on how this can be done? I heard that more money goes to the trails if I register than if I purchse the trail sticker. I like that idea, but wondering how I can register with an Illinois address?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Im not sure but you should be able to call the DNR in Sturtevant (Racine Co.). Im dont know if there is a closer one. They will know, you wont be the first.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
you can legally register your sled in Wisconsin without owning land or even having a wisconsin address.

By getting wisconsin registration instead of the trail pass it provides more money to the trail funds and helps us with out in several other ways too.

here is a link to the Wisconsin DNR snowmobile registration website; http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/cs/reg.../snowmobile.htm

By registering your sled to Wisconsin it still needs to be registered to Ilinois only if you ride it in Illinois. Dual registration is fully legal and accetable in both states.

Plus, you will not need to put that bright yellow "I stick out like a turd in a punch-bowl" sticker on your windshield.

Wisconsin registration is alot faster than Illinois too. I have heard rumors of you guys waiting almost 1 year for stickers.

·
Registered
444 Posts
G2O Had the right link and some great information. You may want to look into going directly to one of the Wis DNR offices and doing while you are there. If you do it in person you can get your stickers on the spot for an additional 5 bucks. I live in IL and have always had Wisconsin registration.
They mail everything right to my door here. Plan ahaead to go to one of the offices and make sure you check their hours of opperation. I would also double check with a phone contact to make sure you can get it done at that specific office.

I know, the first time is sort of a hassle, or when you get a new sled. I bought a new sled from Loves Park last spring and they did the Wis registration right from there. More Illinois dealers are doing that for their customers. I had to do it on my own for the sleds I bought from B&M. He is a jag off anyway because he was willing to let his attorney fight me after they really screwed me on a repair bill on a complete engine rebuild that went just over 100 miles because they failed to test for pressure leaks and forgot to hook up the main oil line, but I digress. Renewals are a breeze because everything is done through the mail. You will also see a significant savings over the trail passes. There is a new trail pass fee that is currently on the table that would double the current 18 fee, so 30 for two years registration is even better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts