Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With gas high and oil high why are we not looking at this to be made and sold in the USA??? We hear about battery cars, fuel cell cars, combo cars but not one of our auto makers are looking at this .
try this link-----------auto.howstuffworks.com/air-car1 and if that does not get you there just do a goggle search on cars that run on compressed air............

Maybe we can have one of the sled builders make an engine for us that runs on compressed air. The car being made in India can run 125 miles and top speed is 68.....................enough to get me around town................
I wrote to my two senators from WI and got no response...................that was in June.................

·
Registered
260 Posts
That is very interesting. I like the idea of a around town car running on air. I wonder if the extreme cold weather would lower the pressure in the tanks or the moisture typically in air tanks might freeze. I'm not sure how long one would be able to go on an air-powered sled, unless you could build your chassis around a couple of air tanks.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
where do you get the compressed air? it has to be made with a internal combustion engine or electric from a fossil fuel burning power plant......so whats the point?

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
With gas high and oil high why are we not looking at this to be made and sold in the USA??? We hear about battery cars, fuel cell cars, combo cars but not one of our auto makers are looking at this .
try this link-----------auto.howstuffworks.com/air-car1 and if that does not get you there just do a goggle search on cars that run on compressed air............

Maybe we can have one of the sled builders make an engine for us that runs on compressed air. The car being made in India can run 125 miles and top speed is 68.....................enough to get me around town................
I wrote to my two senators from WI and got no response...................that was in June.................[/b]
Well the senators arnt doing there job they are supposed to respond to every message sent..

·
Registered
447 Posts
where do you get the compressed air? it has to be made with a internal combustion engine or electric from a fossil fuel burning power plant......so whats the point?[/b]

electricity can be made from flowing water... huge powerplants here in manitoba supply all our power... and it doesnt hurt a darn thing... the water has to move anyway..

·
Registered
456 Posts
where do you get the compressed air? it has to be made with a internal combustion engine or electric from a fossil fuel burning power plant......so whats the point?[/b]
Maybe it's more efficient than an internal combustion engine

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can see it now- air hoses with quick connects at every corner, we complain about paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas now, wait until your paying for air at the pump haha

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I can see it now- air hoses with quick connects at every corner, we complain about paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas now, wait until your paying for air at the pump haha[/b]
That's when you fill up at home for a $1 in electricity... At least I'd hope that's all it'd take. Could you imagine? I'd definately buy one of these things and commute with it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Won't get far on compressed air. It's just stored energy and there wouldn't be much of that in a tank, even at 3000psi. Liquid nitrogen would get you farther, but it would not be pleasant to break the thermos bottle in a crash...

·
Premium Member
39,131 Posts

I wrote to my two senators from WI and got no response...................that was in June.................[/b]

I watched a compressed air car race at Great Lakes Dragaway in the 1960's it's been done before.

Don

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I say we go back to horse and buggy! Tear up all the asphalt off the roads which in turn would save billions upon billions. Just imagine no road constuction,plows holding everyone up,traffic jams,accidents etc etc. There would be no need of getting a bank loan to fill up your tank, car insurance and all the associated ripoffs we endure daily. In the winter sledding would mean being out in the great outdoors mushing behind a team of dogs. Ahhhh! Just imagine !

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's when you fill up at home for a $1 in electricity... At least I'd hope that's all it'd take. Could you imagine? I'd definately buy one of these things and commute with it.[/b]

Yeah, we can all hope that is all it would take... but we'd be wrong.

The energy density of 1 gallon of Gas is VERY impressive as people will discover as the vaunted "plug in" hybrid becomes available. When it does they will discover that the price per gallon of gas of 3$ isn't much compared to what electricity costs. In addition the USA's powergrid is nowhere near ready to handle the load if even 10% of the automotive traffic switches from gasoline to plug in electric (It is helped somewhat by the fact that re-charge time is typically low load time on the grid as long as people don't plug in the car's to charge until they go to bed).

In addition to electric costs, this isn't your everyday fill up the tires and power the impact wrench style compressor.

Mike

·
Registered
956 Posts

You wrote to a politican and got no respose, are you surprised?! The government has the hands elbow deep in foreign oil. Why do you think they are in Iraq. Its not to help the Iraqis, its to help their own situation with taking foreign oil for next to nothing and inflating the price to make millions for themselves. Politicans are the root of MOST problems in the world. ESPECIALLY IN THE STATES. I don't think there is a politican in the States that is not corrupt.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Simple Guys. Thermodynamics...

If you change one form of energy for another you loose SOME energy. Compressed Air = How did you compress it? However you did it, gas, electricity, etc you will get less energy out of the air that you would have got from the gas or electricity.

As far as electricity from Damn's. There is not a waterfall in everyones backyard and we use SOOOOO much fossil fuel that all alternatives together will only make a dent in our usage - EVER. Mark my word, even 10 years from now there will not be as much total energy to go around. So, less people will live the lifestyle or we will ALL get on with less.

I think a plug in electric for a round town powered from as much nuclear, wind, and solar we can build is our best bet.

My current car gets no less than 40MPG around town when I HAMMER on it. My lifetime average is more than 45MPG. Long trips are near 50 so I can not complain.

Jason

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Won't get far on compressed air. It's just stored energy and there wouldn't be much of that in a tank, even at 3000psi.[/b]

Yep, it's just a different method of storing energy, and not a very efficient one. Better off with electric motor/battery...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts