Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Pulled my 1998 ZL 440 out of the shed today, after having it sit there for 2 years, properly stored. Was going to fire it up and take some pictures of it, so that I could put it one the market, as this sled is mint. WELL , guess what ? It will NOT start !! It has NO SPARK.

This sled was completely gone through by the local Cat dealer two years ago and it ran fine before I put it in storage in my shed. Now it will not even fire. No spark at all on the plugs.

Any ideas on what is wrong ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
1st change your plugs, see if that works

Coil could be gone but if your head light will not even light up for a second when you try and start it, it could be your voltage regualtor or you stator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sled has brand new plugs that were installed when the sled was tuned, two years ago. But even then, I changed the plugs and still no effect, still no spark.

Not sure if headlight will light when pulling it over, as I was alone. Will probably have my wife check the headlight the next time that I try pulling it over.

From what I have read, I am really thinking it is the stator. But, I just can not figure out how a stator goes bad on a sled that is in storage.

Thanks for your input on this matter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i had this probley with my z idk if it the same thing but theres a lil fuse up aginst the fire wall near ur chain case its in a lil black cover idk if its it but worth checking

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sled has brand new plugs that were installed when the sled was tuned, two years ago. But even then, I changed the plugs and still no effect, still no spark.

Not sure if headlight will light when pulling it over, as I was alone. Will probably have my wife check the headlight the next time that I try pulling it over.

From what I have read, I am really thinking it is the stator. But, I just can not figure out how a stator goes bad on a sled that is in storage.

Thanks for your input on this matter.[/b]
Tail light should light up too, or open the hood and you should be able to see the headlight glow a little when you pull it over, if neither lights up, voltage reg. is probably shot.

OR

Check your kill switches and ignition switch, i had one go bad on an older sled after just sitting a couple years.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Check the electrical connections coming out of the engine to the wiring harness. Just sitting in storage for a couple of yeas can cause corrosion on the contacts. Pull the connectors apart and clean them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts