Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I can get some kind of backing from Arctic Cat when I go to my dealer, who probably does not know of all the F5's problems, and say that I want some warranty work done on issues such as the new APV cables and chain case bearings. Will Cat sent us something by e-mail to prove to the dealer when we walk in and want this warranty work done? How will the dealer be able to beleive all we say is correct? Like knowing which bearings to use, that new cables doesn't quite solve the sticking problem. Can Cat give us the consumer, something to give the dealer to prove that Cat recognises these problems and are to be warrantied by our dealers. Let me know what you people think, dealers included. I don't want to suprise my dealer one day and throw all of this on his lap without him knowing something. Thanx.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
My first thought would be to not surprise your dealer. Talk to him before you bring the sled in. Tell him you are concerned about some items that you understand are warranty items and ask him what he has from Arctic Cat on warranty items / service bullitens. Some of the so called warranty items you have heard about may have been things that some dealers have done at no cost for some customers. I've found that it pays to have a good relationship with the dealer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Gentlemen, I politically correctly addressed my dealer with the problems I have had with my F5, and guess what? I took it in and they did squat!! Told me that the cables are all the same on all Firecats of 03' so there is nothing they can do about it, said that all the chain cases leak a little and you can never get them to stop weeping a little bit. So, what do you think now? I happily loaded up my sled and said Thanx and drove away thinking that these guys are the dealer? Just from this unofficial Arctic Cat site we are on, I've learned more about the Firecats than they do. Even said that the ice on the running board problem would never change unless it's designed differently. My ice problem went away as soon as I did the work Rob has posted on the Hardcore site!
GLS, why does this dealer not know of the differences between the 5's and 7's like we do? Why would they not address the chain case leak and check the bearings when it IS possible to repair it? Did Arctic Cat not sent out any bulletins to these small town dealerships? These bulletins must be the only thing legitimate that they go by! When I mentioned the ideas and repairs I had found out on the "internet", they thought I was a little nuts, or that's the way they were looking at me. How would "joe consumer" know anything about his own sled? Kind of made my blood boil.
So Mr. GLS, what can you tell me now? Have any decisions been made about the APV cables? Is there a bulletin out about the chain case leaking problem? These are my biggest beefs and some kind of response would be better than "SQUAT".

Thanx for your time. Yours truly, with the F5 throttle wide open, Manitoba Man.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
manitoba man,
the reason the cables were not corrected is that there really is no problem yet . yes, they come unhooked but a small rubber washer on the shaft can correct that. the dealer could put new cables on but youll end up with the same thing . untill cat comes out with a tech bulletin you just need to sit tight till an updated cable is put out for the 03 f-5's .
as for the bearings , yes, there is usually a small amount of oil that will seep out so i guess it would depend on how much yours are actually leaking. mine was leaking so bad the rotor was getting splattered and would smoke when i hit the brakes, lol, so i needed new bearings. i brought it in and my dealer replaced them . about 200 miles later it was leaking again so cat authorized the older style bearings to be installed , and so far no more leaks .
did your dealer actually remove the chaincase cover and inspect the bearings? mine did and fount the races were cracked .............
seeing its summer let the situation calm down a bit then approach your dealer again and ask them to call cat about the bearing and cable issue , maybe there will be a bulletin out by then on the cables and more info out to the dealers about the bearings .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just from the sounds of your first post, do you have a problem with the bearings leaking on YOUR sled or the vavles sticking on YOUR sled? Cat is handling these on a case by case stiuation so far. If you had these problems then YES the dealer should fix them ACCORDINGLY. That does not mean old style bearings or new cables. They will fix the problem. I work for a dealer and we haven't seen a serivce bulletin for either problem. I have yet to see an Firecat to come through with any of these problems yet either.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fellas, the cables only fell off once! After that I of course took care of the situation and did the appropriate repairs to keep them on. Hence the washer fix which I had heard of quite a while ago from other guys here on this site. The damn cables stick!!! After a while of riding, enough oil makes it up the cable and they get gummed up and screws up. Servo motor detects too hard of a pull and valves will not open. The chaincase leaks bad enough to have oil all over the recoil and on the back side of the chain case. Does'nt that warrant an inquiry. Or at least a look inside. Mr. m10 you must be lucky not to see any sleds like this. I'm sure there are a bunch of guys that have been on this site with the same problems. Also, I thought that GLS said that these problems were to be addressed at some point. That point may not be untill fall, but still addressed. One of my concerns is why the dealer of mine is so ignorant of these problems? I'm thinking of giving up and just doing the repairs myself, waiting for Cat to finally give us different sealed cables, and thanking the dealer for their time. What do you boys think of that!

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
FireF5Cat.
I think you probably have your answers from other responses, but I'll give you some info also. As far as the valve cables sticking, I know the problem this has caused many of you, and the 2004 is corrected. I cannot give you an answer right now about any update for 2003. That is a Service/Warrenty decision to be made. I can tell you they certainly are aware, and I have discussed this situation with them quite often. I hope we can have a satisfactory answer for you soon.

This was gls latest response to the cables situation-My dealers where pretty ignorant to the problem also-Kept blaming the amsoil-But when they heard i was talking to greg spaulding and cat admitted to the problem,boy did they listen!!!!Anyways i did get new cables this past winter,and along with the oil ratios being fixed things where much better-But to little to late as it was a major headache all winter-But im like the rest of you,just sit and wait,and if i dont hear anything by october,i will be printing everything gls has said on this subject and be contacting cats warranty program-What else can we do?????Scott frye-By the way,in the first paragragh,i am the other responses,i was helping out firef5cat.This was about a month ago

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok, we have 1 F7 with chaincase problems. Non of the F5 owners have complained yet of the valves not opening.

manitoba man, look for a better dealer, he should have fixed those regardless of service bulletin or not.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Manitoba Man...first off I believe the dealers HATE the internet...its like big brother is watching...I have quoted internet stuff to dealers only to be mocked...a week later they usually get the scoop...it seems they are not impressed by us DUMB consumers being in the know....

What part of the province are you from?? I'm in the Selkirk/Winnipeg area...spring ordered a efi F7 Sp...from Ashville Arctic Cat...

Good luck with your dealer...

Track

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Originally posted by tracksidedown@May 20 2003, 03:09 AM
Manitoba Man...first off I believe the dealers HATE the internet...its like big brother is watching...I have quoted internet stuff to dealers only to be mocked...a week later they usually get the scoop...it seems they are not impressed by us DUMB consumers being in the know....

What part of the province are you from?? I'm in the Selkirk/Winnipeg area...spring ordered a efi F7 Sp...from Ashville Arctic Cat...

Good luck with your dealer...

Track
I would have to agree-I think the mechanics at my dealer dont even know what the hell the internet is-They must hate it when we know stuff before them as far as recalls or bulletins etc.When i mentioned greg spaulding they where like-How did you reach him?He told you that information?How did you get those part numbers?I didnt know about that bulletin?

Well get on the damn internet!!!!I consider myself a decent car/airplane mechanic and it sucks that i know more about my sleds then the dealers i bought them from-Its always,Your the only one that seems to be having these problems-Yeah rite-CHECK OUT THIS SITE-I will give you a hundred names in a day-Scott

·
Registered
102 Posts
bee1971, I hear ya man. I bought my sled from the same dealer as you and they sure liked to make excuses. I dont know how much they use the Internet but I know they arent very good with the phone!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Fellas, you hit the nail on the head!! Bee1971, we have the same dealer problems, I believe. Nice bunch of people, but just too busy to stay on top of things like we are.Whether it's just a matter of being uninformed by Cat, or what , I'm not sure. I think they are from the "old school" way of thinking, maybe. I felt the same way you did Scott, after my last visit at my dealer, "Do I really know more about my sled than the dealer does?" I'm going to still say, it's too bad it's that way, rather than stir up dust with them. Eventually they should get some kind of info from Cat to lead them in the right direction.
Mr. Track side down, I'm in the Swan River Valley, and the dealer is guess who? Somebody just about an hour or so south of here.
Does anybody have any concrete literature from Cat saying to check or replace crankcase bearings? I'm almost ready to open it up myself and take a look. I need to install a 1.375" track that I recently received anyway. Keep up the thread boys!!!

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Originally posted by dunbar@May 20 2003, 04:53 PM
bee1971, I hear ya man. I bought my sled from the same dealer as you and they sure liked to make excuses. I dont know how much they use the Internet but I know they arent very good with the phone!
FireF5Cat.
I think you probably have your answers from other responses, but I'll give you some info also. As far as the valve cables sticking, I know the problem this has caused many of you, and the 2004 is corrected. I cannot give you an answer right now about any update for 2003. That is a Service/Warrenty decision to be made. I can tell you they certainly are aware, and I have discussed this situation with them quite often. I hope we can have a satisfactory answer for you soon.

Yes dunbar i hear you-I would love to see what there going to say about greg spauldings response above to our cable problems-Remember falls action sports blamed our oil selection as far as our problems-They where really trying to stick cats oil down my throat-Saying the amsoil was the problem-The oil had nothing to do with it!!!!! I Kept trying to explain this to them-Falls kept saying me and you where the only f5s that had oil coming out the cables-Anyways over the years falls action has treated me pretty good-Why,i never saw them because i never had any problems with my zr 500s-I love the firecats but plain and simple they have had there share of bulletins-Dealer was probably sick of the them-Even pat the owner mentioned they couldnt keep up with the firecat problems the two weeks we had snow here in oconto county-Problem is i ride every week,u.p. or here so they probably got sick of me!!!!!Whats even funnier is i fixed most of the problems my self-But if its under warranty and the parts are covered,your damn right im bringing it in-Thats the purpose of the warranty,correct?????!!!!!!Talk to you later-We will have to get a wisconsin firecat ride together this winter-See ya

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Does anybody have any concrete literature from Cat saying to check or replace crankcase bearings? I'm almost ready to open it up myself and take a look. I need to install a 1.375" track that I recently received anyway. Keep up the thread boys!!!

Both my f5s where leaking oil,by the brake rotor-Honestly this has been a problem with cats over the years,just not the firecats-I had falls action take a looksy when the sleds where there for bulletins-Also mentioned to check the bearings while they where in there-The leaks where fixed,honestly i never asked how the bearings looked-But before this next winter i will be pulling apart and checking everything myself-Actually its pretty easy and nice piece of mind-But yes,guys on this site where having bearing problems-Not all but some-Scott

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Manitoba Man...grew up in Minitonas...I had real good luck with service (at that dealer) that I needed in a pinch while riding/racing at Wellman lake...they even borrowed me parts off one of thier personal sleds so I could continue my week-end....

a servo problem was not addressed by the dealer my sled (03ZR900) was bought from ...and was fixed in 15 minutes by the dealer near the Valley completely hassle free...

When I brought my 01Zr800 in this past fall for a piston update kit....the first thing out of the dealers mouth was...how did you know???? We just got the bulletin on the fax this morning....

Good-luck with your sled...I plan on racing at the Swan drags...maybe see you there...

Track

·
Registered
47 Posts
manitoba man.
I can't give you any other answer at this point, other than the answer i've given earlier on this subject as listed in this post. I believe that your dealer working with Arctic service dept can solve your situation before you ride again next fall. have your dealer contact them again, I'm sure you can get some satisfaction on these issues. It should be easier for your dealer to get through to the service dept now.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Gls-All i can say is it is nice that you take the time to look at this website-Honestly we all appreciate it!!!!!
Keep us informed during the summer months,we like to know whats going on,winter is right around the corner-Ha Ha-.And if you here anything about the warranty issue involving the f5 apv cables,please let us know asap.It will save alot of headaches come dec 1st-Thanx scott frye

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I say "Ditto!!" You know I'll be waiting to hear from you GLS. It's not over until the last Firecat flies!!! Thanx for your input. Hey Track, this past years drags here were a bust. I think I'll go to Flin Flon next winter if their's is the same date as Swan's again. I believe we lost a bunch of guys to those races in Flin Flon. Sounds like it's a good time up there, nothing but hookers and hockey players. Here's to holdin' er' to the pin!! Manitoba Man.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts