Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I just feel if you guys are doing this to your Assault to make it a better trail sled you bought the wrong sled. I have said this since 2011 when I bought my Pro Ride Assault. The Assault is a capable trail sled but that is not it's purpose if you want a trail sled buy a trail sled.
ding! ding! ding! we have a winner!

I feel the same way and have been saying the same thing since the intro of the Axys SBA :bc:

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Which was 2011 and I snow checked one. Even though the Axys is a totally different animal than the Pro Ride they share some similar characteristics especially the front end.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I did this mod ( cut the spacer and moved it) As to the "you bought the wrong sled" post, that's silly. if you can take 20 minuets and spend nothing and improve your sled in any fashion then why wouldn't you? It takes 5 minuets to switch it back and forth so for a guy who wants to trail ride it, but also have a capable sled for a trip or 2 out west why wouldn't you make it the best possible machine for both situations???

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did this mod ( cut the spacer and moved it) As to the "you bought the wrong sled" post, that's silly. if you can take 20 minuets and spend nothing and improve your sled in any fashion then why wouldn't you? It takes 5 minuets to switch it back and forth so for a guy who wants to trail ride it, but also have a capable sled for a trip or 2 out west why wouldn't you make it the best possible machine for both situations???
Exactly ^

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Just opinions... But...

out of the box, this sled is still suited for more off trail than trail and If you ride more than 50-60% of your time on trail you would be better off with a ProS, ProX, or XCR (especially if you like speed)

Also widening this sled makes it illegal to trail ride in some states.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Correct just opinions. Should the sled have come with an adjustable front end absolutely but not to make it wider only to go narrower.

This is a 50/50 sled not 70/30 80/20 or 90/10 it was built and designed for 50/50. That is all I am saying. The XCR Pro X and Pro S are better trail sleds or at least I think they would be. I know the Pro S is a better trail sled. I cannot imagine the XCR not being a better trail sled that is a 120 or 121 correct? Right there makes it a better trail sled.

·
Premium Member
2021 Matryx VR1 850 137 Storm
2,194 Posts
I absolutely disagree with this not being a trail sled. I bought it as a trail sled, not as an off trail sled. I ran the top of the line 2016 Axys Pro S/LE Night Lightning for 2500 miles last season. Super disappointed in that over priced POS. My new Assault 144 absolutely crushes my Pro Slow on the trail. Faster, handles better, rides better, eats bumps better, etc... Go ahead and argue with me. I will never go back to the Rush chassis....it doesn't hold a candle to the Assault. BTW, I'm almost at 1700 miles so far this season...

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Lenn you may know better than any of us because you have put a bunch of miles on both sleds. However if the Assault is such a great trail sled then why all the adjustments to it? I understand some adjustments are needed but what sled have you ever owned where you needed to make the front end wider than what every other sled on the market has for a ski stance?

Trust me I love my Assault and I certainly think it is a way better trail sled than my Pro Ride Assault. The motor the IGX rear suspension and the Axys front end are all leaps and bounds better than anything on the Pro Ride. However IMO it is still not a great high mileage trail sled but again it is not meant to be that.

My only gripe about this sled is its cornering in tight twisty woods trails. Lenn you know what I am talking about because you and I ride the same trails in SDR, Pittsburg, and Errol. I can live with that because everything else about it is awesome. If it were up to me I would be in the woods all day. I did take 3 turns out of my front shock springs and set my front clickers on 2 from full soft. The cornering was better but it darted a little more. As I said in other posts my gripper have a lot to do with the inside ski lift as well. I am convinced putting the Pro Steers back on would help in some case but be a detriment in others (push in soft snow)

Hmmmm maybe I bought the wrong sled :laff:

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Lenn you may know better than any of us because you have put a bunch of miles on both sleds. However if the Assault is such a great trail sled then why all the adjustments to it? I understand some adjustments are needed but what sled have you ever owned where you needed to make the front end wider than what every other sled on the market has for a ski stance?

Trust me I love my Assault and I certainly think it is a way better trail sled than my Pro Ride Assault. The motor the IGX rear suspension and the Axys front end are all leaps and bounds better than anything on the Pro Ride. However IMO it is still not a great high mileage trail sled but again it is not meant to be that.

My only gripe about this sled is its cornering in tight twisty woods trails. Lenn you know what I am talking about because you and I ride the same trails in SDR, Pittsburg, and Errol. I can live with that because everything else about it is awesome. If it were up to me I would be in the woods all day. I did take 3 turns out of my front shock springs and set my front clickers on 2 from full soft. The cornering was better but it darted a little more. As I said in other posts my gripper have a lot to do with the inside ski lift as well. I am convinced putting the Pro Steers back on would help in some case but be a detriment in others (push in soft snow)

Hmmmm maybe I bought the wrong sled :laff:
I was going to widen my front end on my '16 Pro S but never got around to it. For the way I ride, wider is better. I did have Split Rail Ski's on my '12 Rush and those alone widened the front end by almost 1.5 inches. They worked great on that sled and the 2 previous sleds I ran them on. But I decided it was way cheaper to just widen the Assault then buy another pair of Split Rails.
Yes, the longer chassis is not quite as nimble in the tight trails as a short track but it out performs the Rush chassis everywhere else. Much more stable a high speeds and the brakes are amazing...must be the longer track just stops better.
Speaking of adjustments...I tried everything to get that Pro Slow to ride decent including the HyGear spring, which did improve things. The front end was great but the rear was never good. I couldn't find the balance between a good ride and handling the rough stuff...it could do one or the other, but not both as the IGX does.
Where do you stay when you're in Pittsburg?

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
You and I have met a couple different times. I stay at my place on Spring Rd not too far from where you bought. Rick and Donna owned a place right next to us before they bought the place behind you. I am friends with Jeff, Scott, and Andy. I know Steve through them. We met trail side one day and at the place Steve rented last year.

BTW I may be more impressed with the IGX than I am with the new 800 although the 800 is nice. Hope your issue with the fade it not a big deal.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It seems to be a fine trail machine, and is reported to be a capable off trail machine....one point everyone is forgetting to mention is, this is your only choice with a conventional tunnel and still a manageable track length for trail riding, which is why I got mine. The " beaver tail" design is shit in deep snow.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,126 Posts
Shimyxc and Lennstang.... I agree with your posts.

Renegade.... I'd say this particular Thread is not for you. Maybe find a thread more up your alley somewhere else. I see you are a bit like me and like to occasionally stir the pot with your opinions. Haha... :stirthepot:

People obviously bought the Assault for different types of riding and that's great. After all, it was designed and advertised to be the True 50/50 sled. Some don't care to make the sled rail corners better. This thread wasn't put together for people to tell the rest of us we are stupid for buying this sled if we think it might have better trail cornering abilities by widening it. Some of us aren't scared to cut a bushing or drill a hole in a rail. Where's the fun without modifications?? F*CK I cut my side panels all to shit and added Vents everywhere. We don't want to be told we should have all bought the S, X, Rush or Switch. We will buy whatever we want and we will make any alterations that we would like to on our sleds. We paid good money for them and they are ours to do whatever we want with them. I have a Rush, Pro-S and an Assault. This very cheap widening job has been done on my Pro-S as well. It made my Pro-S corner better as it has with my Assault. When I want to go back to stock width "Which so far has been Never" I'll take 5 minutes and move my spacer back to the stock location.

Those that don't want to widen their sleds don't have to. I'm not calling everybody out and telling them they're stupid if they don't. If you trail ride with your Assault and think it pushes a little too much or is a bit tippy in the corner... This thread holds a Tip to make an easy modification that WILL help make cornering a little flatter and easier.

Gotta Go stir the Pot somewhere else. See Yah!! :stirthepot:

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Hmmm where did I call people stupid? If you sir are saying I am calling people stupid you are the one stirring the pot. I own the dam sled and love it. I will have to go back and look at my posts and if I did call people stupid that was not my intention.

This is only my opinion nothing more nothing less. I respect your opinion to widen your front end. I just questioned if it is such a great trail sled why does the front end need to be widened further than every other sled out there.

Remember some people buy sleds based on the opinions of others on this very site. We have all seen people who have gone out and purchased a sled then come on here complaining about this and that about the sled they bought. I saw it earlier in the season with the Axys Assault and I saw it all the time with the Pro Ride Assault. The common complaint was how the sled handled and the inside ski lift on them. The tip you guys give is a good one but remember not everyone buys a sled to cut the pressed bushing off the ski to make it handle better. That is all I am trying to say :bc:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Love mine - factory stance. I havent noticed any tipping sensation yet - i dont have many studs though - and the 1.3 cobra track. Shimmed skis and Woodys Duallys...always help.
Like any sled ive had - i still tweak them...either shock revalving or spring changes - we have the Assaults pretty much as good or better than the Pro S. Its impressive EVERYWHERE. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
The Pro S (Switchback)...once dialed in - is a very good trail to great trail sled - it has a different ride than the Assaults. I find the Pro S is more linear over bumps and larger whoops and stays more level ...as opposed to the traditional "air time" from typical suspension sleds. I would say the "fun factor" is more with the Assault - maybe i'm old school. I do prefer to jump and get air time than just plow through trail junk - both sleds require body language - more front end bite, lean forward, more transfer lean back. (both sleds)
The Assault is (to me) a better ALL ROUND sled - Fun factor is important to me, and when you have a sled that rides great on trails AND in deep snow, its a WINNER.
If you've ever got a Pro S stuck in deep snow, you'll quickly agree, they arent easy to lift up and out of a trench.
Im not sure of the weight differences, but i havent noticed anything substantial either way (on the trails)...what i DID notice was on one ride; we were switching sleds back and forth and at one point, i literally had to take a second look at which sled i was on, they all felt THAT close through the trails. The Assault chassis, stock, has a harsher ride through the chatter - easily fixed though. Handle bar vibration is noticed moreso on the Pro S...three people at different times commented on that - without prompting it.
We ride pretty quick - haven't had much inside ski lift on either sled (Assault has Cobra 1.3" track - few studs).....both are very stable at high speeds..sitting to standing position is quick and easiest on any sled ive ever had.
Have zero complaints on either sled (handling) - the 2016 Pro S right now does have bit of an issue with the RPM and throttle position. At WOT the sled maxes out at 8000rpm, lift off the throttle a wee bit, and it goes to 8200rpm...been to two dealers and they change things and its still the same.
:)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Renegade and labreque remember you guys have the 2 inch track on your assaults which is going to make it handle differently than the guys that have the shorter lugged track, right?

I just need to grab my balls, leave cat in the rear view mirror and go buy one...

·
Registered
243 Posts
And Renegade has the Powder Pros on it as well. Labrecque's handles and looks way better.. love stirring the pot.:lol:

Renegade and labreque remember you guys have the 2 inch track on your assaults which is going to make it handle differently than the guys that have the shorter lugged track, right?

I just need to grab my balls, leave cat in the rear view mirror and go buy one...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Why would anyone want to change the ski's that came on the sled?? they must have picked the wrong model :stirthepot:

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts

Is Labreque's full name Jeff Labreque???

21 - 40 of 51 Posts