Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be nice for trail riding to be able to swap spacer to outside to gain 2 inches of width but it seems that it is pressed into spindle? Anyone moved it to outside?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It would be nice for trail riding to be able to swap spacer to outside to gain 2 inches of width but it seems that it is pressed into spindle? Anyone moved it to outside?
Talk to lid2, he has a dealer near him who makes a kit wonder. I don't know if they are adjustable though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 XCR 850 136
114 Posts
Why not just swap skis left to right and right to left? that way spacer will give the extra stance.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2021 Matryx VR1 850 137 Storm
2,195 Posts
5137847 SPACER-25.40 ODX16.26 IDX10.65
Order 4 of these spacers from your dealer. They are the ski spacers for a Pro RMK. Remove the skis and inner bushing.
Carefully using a hacksaw, cut the exposed fixed spacer from the inner side of each spindle. Using a flat file, carefully file down the remaining metal till it's flush with the aluminum spindle. Install 2 of the RMK spacers to the outside of each spindle. You now have a 2" wider front ski stance. I did this mod to my '17 Assault. MUCH more stable now! It totally transforms the handling of the Assault.

·
Registered
22 XCR 850 136
114 Posts
Those spacers are pressed on.. They don't switch with the skis.

I won't be home till end of week to check out. Just thinking pulling skis off and swapping side would give the extra stance without even doing anything with spacers? I'm now guessing it just might not be that easy lol

Dan

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5137847 SPACER-25.40 ODX16.26 IDX10.65
Order 4 of these spacers from your dealer. They are the ski spacers for a Pro RMK.
Carefully using a hacksaw, cut the exposed fixed spacer from the inner side of each spindle. Using a flat file, carefully file down the remaining metal till it's flush with the aluminum spindle. Install 2 of the RMK spacers to the outside of each spindle. You now have a 2" wider front ski stance. I did this mod to my '17 Assault. MUCH more stable now! It totally transforms the handling of the Assault.
Probably going to do this mod, why in the world didn't they just make that bushing/spacer not a press fit so you could just flip it in or out???:wall: My other concern on this is I just trailered both my sleds yesterday and they just fit width wise now...if I widen out the assault trailering will be a pain in the ass as I will have to hold the front of the assault up while someone clamps the skis down in the narrower position.......always something:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Probably going to do this mod, why in the world didn't they just make that bushing/spacer not a press fit so you could just flip it in or out???:wall: My other concern on this is I just trailered both my sleds yesterday and they just fit width wise now...if I widen out the assault trailering will be a pain in the ass as I will have to hold the front of the assault up while someone clamps the skis down in the narrower position.......always something:rolleyes:
And that is the down fall. Mine right now both are as tight as I can go and have to go on top of one ski slightly. Both with stock stance!

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,126 Posts
This might be cheaper than Lenn's way to do it as long as you can make a reasonably good straight cut? I've done it to 3 sleds now and so have several of my buddies. Order two plastic ski bushings. "Roughly $15 each"

1. Take skis off
2. pull out the metal pin that the bolt goes through on both skis.
3. Carefully cut exposed spacer from inside of spindles. File the cut flat on both spindle and the spacer you cut off.
4. Take a small pick tool or small screwdriver and pull out the small little peice that is still stuck in the spindle. When this pops out tap your plastic bushing into that hole.
5. Put the pin back in and the spacer you cut off will now go to the outside of the spindle.

*** WALA $30 You're done!! ***

If you want to go back to stock width put the spacer back to the inside. I highly doubt you will want to do this. :bc:

·
Registered
175 Posts
This might be cheaper than Lenn's way to do it as long as you can make a reasonably good straight cut? I've done it to 3 sleds now and so have several of my buddies. Order two plastic ski bushings. "Roughly $15 each"

1. Take skis off
2. pull out the metal pin that the bolt goes through on both skis.
3. Carefully cut exposed spacer from inside of spindles. File the cut flat on both spindle and the spacer you cut off.
4. Take a small pick tool or small screwdriver and pull out the small little peice that is still stuck in the spindle. When this pops out tap your plastic bushing into that hole.
5. Put the pin back in and the spacer you cut off will now go to the outside of the spindle.

*** WALA $30 You're done!! ***

If you want to go back to stock width put the spacer back to the inside. I highly doubt you will want to do this. :bc:

Why is this different or cheaper than Lenn's way. The RMK bushings are roughly 2-3 per bushing ($15-20) total. I'm really considering doing this but want to know the best way.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Leave it to a Labrecque to to complicate thing lol. Anyway Scott if you widen that front end you will not like it in the woods.

With that said my wife's 600 RMK Axys 144 I feel handles better than my Assault. I know this sounds crazy because her front end is narrow than mine (set in the middle) but it seems to track better. We both have gripper skis on our sleds but she has Ryde FX shocks which are significantly softer than the Assault's.

No Labrecque's sled has Pro Steers and his sled handles better than mine solely because of the skis. Unless of course he is not telling me the truth and messed with his factory settings on his suspension

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Why not make a clean cut on the pressed in bushing and then just use it on the other side with an additional washer to make up for the curf of the saw cut ....just as easy and .25$

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lenn, I believe you are referring to JMAXDOX's reply regarding pulling the bushing out. I agree, I'm puzzled about this process as well. I don't see how it is any easier or cheaper than your method!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Leave to you Labrecque and Renegader already trying to modify your sleds. :roflmao:

Leave it to a Labrecque to to complicate thing lol. Anyway Scott if you widen that front end you will not like it in the woods.

With that said my wife's 600 RMK Axys 144 I feel handles better than my Assault. I know this sounds crazy because her front end is narrow than mine (set in the middle) but it seems to track better. We both have gripper skis on our sleds but she has Ryde FX shocks which are significantly softer than the Assault's.

No Labrecque's sled has Pro Steers and his sled handles better than mine solely because of the skis. Unless of course he is not telling me the truth and messed with his factory settings on his suspension

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why not make a clean cut on the pressed in bushing and then just use it on the other side with an additional washer to make up for the curf of the saw cut ....just as easy and .25$
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Why is this different or cheaper than Lenn's way. The RMK bushings are roughly 2-3 per bushing ($15-20) total. I'm really considering doing this but want to know the best way.
You have two ways to do it now. And they are both cheap. Sorry to confuse you. I'll let you take on the job your own way. :snack:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Labrecque, I don't follow your step regarding pulling out the small little piece stuck in the spindle?
After cutting the pressed bushing there is still a little piece of it stuck in the spindle. Pull it out. Then you can tap in the oem bought plastic bushing. You can't tap in the plastic bushing with this small piece still stuck in the spindle. The plastic bushing you put in will also make up for the material lost from the sawzall cut. The factory oem plastic bushing will do what shimyxc refers to using a cheap washer to make up for the width of the cut. Obviously there is more than one way to accomplish this simple procedure. I'm not saying anybody's procedure is incorrect. With my procedure you are using the cut off pressed bushing as your spacer. Why toss it in the trash and go buy new spacers? "TO EACH IS OWN."

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I just feel if you guys are doing this to your Assault to make it a better trail sled you bought the wrong sled. I have said this since 2011 when I bought my Pro Ride Assault. The Assault is a capable trail sled but that is not it's purpose if you want a trail sled buy a trail sled.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts