Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the oil pump posts & keep thinking about NOT touching my pump. I haven't checked my oil ratio but I'm using the "normal" amount of oil I've always used in my Cat's. My sled has 1200 miles on it without any problems on it, I have not checked for piston scuff (which I hate to say is normal on any two stroke) nor will I. I'm not a stupid person & take excellent care of my toy's but it seems to me that if the sled is running fine now, why would a bulletin about possible problems change anything? Is it just me or are some people over reacting to the bulletins? I don't doubt that there are sleds out there with the wrong pump arm length but please explain to me how a sled that has run flawless for 1200 miles will seize the engine b/c there is a new bulletin out? Why would I run pre-mix now when I haven't in the past & what will this possibly prevent? Flame away but please realize this post is not meant to attack people who are concerned about the oil consumption, I think it's good to check your sled & have a solid understanding of what it uses in fuel & oil. I just don't understand how people can say the letter came too late & are concerned that they're sled may self destruct after reading the letter even though they have a bunch of miles on it with NO engine problems.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm running close to 80:1. Just got back from a 500 mile trip last weekend-at 200 miles my sled took about 2/3 quart of oil which I thought was low. (Averaged about 12.5 mpg). My overall ratio on that trip was more like 93:1 so I added 4oz. premix per 5 gallons instead of Cat's recommended 8 oz. I agree with greenzrt-I have 1900 miles on my sled and it has run flawlessley but I do think it just a hair stingy on oil consumption. I'm sure Cat put that bulletin out assuming everyone is running 110:1 so they are playing safe. I just don't want to be fouling plugs and gumming up my power valves.

·
Registered
221 Posts
my sled had 1440 on it and it was because of the oil pump my mechanic called and the old plugs out of it were almost white not a nice tan color any more

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I check my plugs they are a couple shades darker than tan & gooey with oil residue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
you guys looking at your plugs...Just remember, plug color indicates fuel:air mixture, NOT fuel:eek:il mix. And with synthetic oil, plugs don't even do that well. Piston wash is the best way to judge fuel mix, and calculating your fuel:eek:il usage is the best way to judge oil mix. FORGET looking at the plugs, it isn't telling you anything here... <_< ^_^

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ditto Rob, I can't believe these guys just don't crank up the pump, and shut the F--K
up! Even if they have had no problems, it's better to use a little more oil to be safe, you can turn it back if it uses to much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts