Hardcore Sledder banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Polaris will have to pay the dealers a fair rate. The last thing they need/want is sled held at the dealerships waiting any amount of time. It’s not good PR to have sleds held hostage. The dealership also has to record the recall work is complete.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
OK, my dealer says he hears from his contacts that solution involves a $10 part and 90 min of labor. (Not saying he is right, but it’s a fair guess for the purpose of this post). Let’s assume $200/hr for labor, so $310 per sled. Let’s assume 75% of sleds still in use and 60% get brought in for warranty repair. So we have 230,000 x 310 x .6 = $43,000,000. It won’t cripple them but it will no doubt hurt - and it makes it harder to put cash into innovation and quality efforts. I assume they will survive but I hope it isn’t in a significantly lesser form.
I don't think Polaris will pay much, if any, on the labour costs.
Polaris only paying for 15 minutes of labor for this. this right from a local dealer today. there pissed and say we will just push them off to work on money making jobs. so good luck. you have go get sled out of a trailer or in the yard. bring it in remove side panels, hood, console, seat, unhook the two fuel lines from the pump, one electrical connector, unbolt the tank and move it back, use a tool to remove threaded pump nut, pull pump, install the recall ground strap, then replace all removed. so dealers are going to pay a tech $25-$50 an hour to get paid for 15 minutes at $18 per hour on a job taking 90 minutes plus to complete? yup i would jump at that. not
This sounds more right.

I think Polaris sees labour costs as 'free', because the guy/gal doing the labour already gets their salary. It hurts the dealers (and probably customers) that they loose that time, not being able to put labour into things (repairs/maintenance) that will earn money.
And then Polaris will probably wonder why their dealers have such a low income.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
3,057 Posts
I don't see me getting my sled fixed by this winter, I'll just ride it, if it blows up I'll deal with it I guess, have a feeling I'll be just fine, and if I'm wrong it'll make a good tale to go with the others, once there is a fix and the dealers have done dozens of them I'll make an appointment in the spring/summer.
"DITTO"
Until the dealer can tell me they can fix it the same day I drop it off I'll continue to be riding it.

·
Vendor
11,452 Posts
i worked for 2 Polaris dealers and a ski-doo dealer. use to be they paid for parts and labor the dealership submitted .then little by little they cut the labor that was submitted. now they have a per job rate. and there is no way in hell a top mechanic can even come close to doing the work in there time frame. one of the reason's i went to work for myself. sick of seeing the customer get screwed because of this. i will tell you right now these dealers removing fuel pumps to repair will cause more fires then if these were just left alone. i have had a number of sleds worked on a dealership's where fuel pump's were removed. when i tipped the tank removing them for a job fuel leaked out of the pump gasket/nut area? gasket was pinched, rolled, etc. i can see a huge issue here. we always use silicone on the rubber. tip the tank to check for leaks at the pump before reinstalling the tank. a lot of times the plastic nut doesn't want to start straight. the reason these need to be leak checked. hopefully Polaris sends a good step by step instruction sheet that get's followed? we shall see

·
Vendor
11,452 Posts
your 2021 sled has a broken ex. valve. this should be warrantied. i will clean the valves and put all the parts in a bag. dealer will have to replace and reassemble it using the tie bar tool. makes no since for me to do as both guillotines have to be on the tie bar to use the tool.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I was told to get full coverage for anything you are not willing to give away
I insured mine because of the number of post's I get daily with dirt bikes, boats, trailers and sled's getting stolen. I have grown tired of the argument that someone should not have to buy insurance on everything.
I know homeowners insurance will not cover my power sports vehicle because I asked.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
I insured mine because of the number of post's I get daily with dirt bikes, boats, trailers and sled's getting stolen. I have grown tired of the argument that someone should not have to buy insurance on everything.
I know homeowners insurance will not cover my power sports vehicle because I asked.
I have geico, they bundle anything i own. Same with others.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Don’t forget the computer work to go with it.
One service manager, one parts guy and a technician get involved. Every thing is documented starting with you vin attached to the work order and the recalled item being attached to the vin. The part required request gets sent in and the part is attached to the vehicle by Vin.
Every step is documented.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Generally a manufacture will offer a service company a low labor rate to warranty their products. If they find no takers in the area they may come up to what shops normally get, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
121 Posts
OK, my dealer says he hears from his contacts that solution involves a $10 part and 90 min of labor. (Not saying he is right, but it’s a fair guess for the purpose of this post). Let’s assume $200/hr for labor, so $310 per sled. Let’s assume 75% of sleds still in use and 60% get brought in for warranty repair. So we have 230,000 x 310 x .6 = $43,000,000. It won’t cripple them but it will no doubt hurt - and it makes it harder to put cash into innovation and quality efforts. I assume they will survive but I hope it isn’t in a significantly lesser form.
Easy fix.
The next 43,000 sleds will cost $1000 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
i worked for 2 Polaris dealers and a ski-doo dealer. use to be they paid for parts and labor the dealership submitted .then little by little they cut the labor that was submitted. now they have a per job rate. and there is no way in hell a top mechanic can even come close to doing the work in there time frame. one of the reason's i went to work for myself. sick of seeing the customer get screwed because of this. i will tell you right now these dealers removing fuel pumps to repair will cause more fires then if these were just left alone. i have had a number of sleds worked on a dealership's where fuel pump's were removed. when i tipped the tank removing them for a job fuel leaked out of the pump gasket/nut area? gasket was pinched, rolled, etc. i can see a huge issue here. we always use silicone on the rubber. tip the tank to check for leaks at the pump before reinstalling the tank. a lot of times the plastic nut doesn't want to start straight. the reason these need to be leak checked. hopefully Polaris sends a good step by step instruction sheet that get's followed? we shall see
My concerns exactly Rick! Frustrating as I’m particular about quality that will be compromised especially in this situation... it can cause other issues. Not comfortable at all!

·
Registered
2021 Indy Adventure 850 137"
123 Posts
My concerns exactly Rick! Frustrating as I’m particular about quality that will be compromised especially in this situation... it can cause other issues. Not comfortable at all!
Yup. I'm in no hurry at all. I'll take mine in at my convenience when I can be assured it'll be very quick and that they won't screw something else up in the process. If it's next month, fine. If it's next year, fine. My sled is currently sitting with a half tank of stabilized non-eth. I'll suck that out and fill it with fresh gas and go enjoy the season. I'll be sure to park next to all my Polaris brothers at the bars and restaurants, of which I'm sure there'll be plenty!

61 - 80 of 93 Posts