Hardcore Sledder banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I was told to insure it if you risk hurting others and full coverage if you can’t afford to give it away and replace it. Simple and holds true. The math is gets tricky while they age with sleds but I have to believe for most it’s just a matter of time, we are riding these things on snow and ice after all.
Over half your replies have been in the recall threads and/or bashing Polaris. 😂😂😂

·
Registered
Polaris '20 INDY 550 Adv 144 / Polaris '23 Switchback 650 XC 144
40 Posts
Left out of the story, we picked the sled on the way up, he didn’t get insurance on it yet… Looked at him… Say that again?
Most homeowners/auto/power sports insurance give a small window to add coverage - you don’t have to add your car while at the dealer for example. I wonder if he already had a policy that may have covered day one?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Over half your replies have been in the recall threads and/or bashing Polaris. 😂😂😂
To be honest, I’m fairly interested and literally invested in how much the fix costs. It has also been pretty entertaining watching people realize the scale and coming effects. Even if they can get the required part(s) the bodies to install them are all too rare these days. I don’t feel this is bashing Polaris at all. Innovation sometimes comes with these problems and costs. It’s the scale that got me to buy in, along with the difficulties mentioned above. I am surprised by the general attitude that Polaris will ride this out without negative effects. Money, resources and time are all being consumed by this problem, still without an official solution and therefore known cost. There is no doubt Polaris would have rather used that money, time and resources elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
To be honest, I’m fairly interested and literally invested in how much the fix costs. It has also been pretty entertaining watching people realize the scale and coming effects. Even if they can get the required part(s) the bodies to install them are all too rare these days. I don’t feel this is bashing Polaris at all. Innovation sometimes comes with these problems and costs. It’s the scale that got me to buy in, along with the difficulties mentioned above. I am surprised by the general attitude that Polaris will ride this out without negative effects. Money, resources and time are all being consumed by this problem, still without an official solution and therefore known cost. There is no doubt Polaris would have rather used that money, time and resources elsewhere.
Fair enough.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Relax, its not your problem. I'm sure polaris will get through this just as they have before.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Polaris will fix this issue. The cost of doing business. This will not "Hurt Them".
OK, my dealer says he hears from his contacts that solution involves a $10 part and 90 min of labor. (Not saying he is right, but it’s a fair guess for the purpose of this post). Let’s assume $200/hr for labor, so $310 per sled. Let’s assume 75% of sleds still in use and 60% get brought in for warranty repair. So we have 230,000 x 310 x .6 = $43,000,000. It won’t cripple them but it will no doubt hurt - and it makes it harder to put cash into innovation and quality efforts. I assume they will survive but I hope it isn’t in a significantly lesser form.

·
Registered
80 Posts
OK, my dealer says he hears from his contacts that solution involves a $10 part and 90 min of labor. (Not saying he is right, but it’s a fair guess for the purpose of this post). Let’s assume $200/hr for labor, so $310 per sled. Let’s assume 75% of sleds still in use and 60% get brought in for warranty repair. So we have 230,000 x 310 x .6 = $43,000,000. It won’t cripple them but it will no doubt hurt - and it makes it harder to put cash into innovation and quality efforts. I assume they will survive but I hope it isn’t in a significantly lesser form.
I think this “total cost” will be inline with the cost of repairs. It would be very fortunate if it “fix” came in cheaper. It also could cost more. The other “cost” to the company as a whole will be the marketing and direct PR costs as a problem of these many effected sleds will take time to roll out, assuming no supply chain issue and no labor issue. I feel it would be foolish to assume no problems with both..independently both just the way it is these days. I strongly doubt the company will not weather the storm, I think they made $8-9 bil in sales last year if my memory is correct. That’s a big company. They did sell off a parts division a few months ago, most likely to have free capital for this fix. They should be fine. Polaris is down 7+ points from when I started pay attention but markets fluctuate.

·
Registered
512 Posts
So they dont have another scenario of vehicles starting on fire. Its a bad look for a company to have.

Acording to lester on snowtrax or what ever one hes on he met with polaris at haydays and they said about 30 sleds over the years have caught fire? I know of one axys that caught fire, but never heard of that anywhere else.

My guess why old fuel and a low tank specifically is because old fuel has had time to evaporate and might have more vapors built up. Just a total guess.

Either way people are going to ride them if polaris hasnt fixed them by winter time. I know I will. I keep my tank full all the time in the winter anyways.
The recall letter I received said only 16 caught fire out of 230,000 sleds. The other 14 had fuel tank ruptures

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I think what Chad M//77 doesn't understand is that recalls and late deliveries are just standard operating practices for Polaris. Investors expect this, which is why the stock is still high right now. If the fix is a $10 part and 90 minutes of labor, that's actually very cheap and the stock will skyrocket.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think what Chad M//77 doesn't understand is that recalls and late deliveries are just standard operating practices for Polaris. Investors expect this, which is why the stock is still high right now. If the fix is a $10 part and 90 minutes of labor, that's actually very cheap and the stock will skyrocket.
There are vast amount of reasons to doubt the stock of a company making recreational vehicles in an economy facing record inflation with a government spending like a drunken sailor. The recall just makes them the most vulnerable of the lot, in some eyes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are vast amount of reasons to doubt the stock of a company making recreational vehicles in an economy facing record inflation with a government spending like a drunken sailor. The recall just makes them the most vulnerable of the lot, in some eyes.
I can’t speak to snowmobiles in specific but that combination plus high interest rates for debt fueled big toy purchases on the heals of record Covid powersports sales of toys that should get folks covered for a number of years does make one expect a rocky 2 yrs for the whole industry.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
If you think Polaris pays its dealers $200 for 90 minutes of labor you are sadly mistaken. If just making easy numbers than ok. But maybe closer to $100.

·
Vendor
11,452 Posts
Polaris only paying for 15 minutes of labor for this. this right from a local dealer today. there pissed and say we will just push them off to work on money making jobs. so good luck. you have go get sled out of a trailer or in the yard. bring it in remove side panels, hood, console, seat, unhook the two fuel lines from the pump, one electrical connector, unbolt the tank and move it back, use a tool to remove threaded pump nut, pull pump, install the recall ground strap, then replace all removed. so dealers are going to pay a tech $25-$50 an hour to get paid for 15 minutes at $18 per hour on a job taking 90 minutes plus to complete? yup i would jump at that. not

·
Registered
40 Posts
Polaris only paying for 15 minutes of labor for this. this right from a local dealer today. there pissed and say we will just push them off to work on money making jobs. so good luck. you have go get sled out of a trailer or in the yard. bring it in remove side panels, hood, console, seat, unhook the two fuel lines from the pump, one electrical connector, unbolt the tank and move it back, use a tool to remove threaded pump nut, pull pump, install the recall ground strap, then replace all removed. so dealers are going to pay a tech $25-$50 an hour to get paid for 15 minutes at $18 per hour on a job taking 90 minutes plus to complete? yup i would jump at that. not
I have heard similar crappy stories on tactor warranty work - lousy way to treat their dealers - the ones who actually know their customers.

·
Registered
2022 XCR 850 136"
1,466 Posts
I don't see me getting my sled fixed by this winter, I'll just ride it, if it blows up I'll deal with it I guess, have a feeling I'll be just fine, and if I'm wrong it'll make a good tale to go with the others, once there is a fix and the dealers have done dozens of them I'll make an appointment in the spring/summer.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Again.. this is why I HATE taking my brand new sled into the dealer for anything... they are going to hack the job to get it though... don’t trust em. And for reasons mentioned, Polaris won’t pay them what its worth to perform the work. With the volume of fix’s at hand they will be trying to cut corners. This is how it always goes. Just one shity situation. The dealers should not be slammed in between. If there was a way I could do the fix myself with the new and needed supplied parts and sign off I think I would.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts