Hardcore Sledder banner

Why offer the Cobra over the Ripsaw 2?

10K views 53 replies 27 participants last post by  Indy_xcr_506 
#1 ·
Just curious why. I always liked the Rip2.

The 1.35 cobra is really a 1.25. At least that's the way the stud companies look at it.

#13 ·
I've had Rip2 in the 1.25" and the 1.5" and think the 1.3 Cobra provided more traction than both Rip2 tracks in the looser and or deeper snow condition days.
On hard pack trail then the choice I'd tip to the 1.5" Rip2. I prefer the 1.6" Cobra over all of them. I gotta say for the better all around trail riding needs I give a nod to the 1.5" Storm as well.

For my kind of riding I prefer a 1.75" BackCountry or Hurricane over all of those tracks.
If anybody is holding strong support of the 1.25" RIP 2 being the best all around track than I'm sure the 1.75 options aren't of any interest to them.
The RIP2 in my opinion is a strictly hard pack trail track. In any other snow conditions it suffers to the others quite significantly.

#9 ·
The original rip saw 1.25 to me was/is an awesome trail track. When they came out with the rip saw II track, it just seemed like a step back to yesteryear in appearance and design compared to the original rip saw. But as far as cobra vs. rip saw, to me it depends on where you live. To me it seems like the cobra is a good choice for the mid west/west guys and rip saw a better fit out east/lower snow/pure trail riding.

#10 ·
The ripsaw 2 was designed to offer the best characteristics of the original ripsaw (hardpack grip), cobra (soft snow grip) and predator (toughness). That or it was designed by Yamaha to help the Nytro turn better.

I think the rs2 1.25 a great track. I've installed 3 on past sleds, just put one on a buddies 1200 Skidoo, and ordered my 2022 snowcheck with one.

When you buy aftermarket the RS2 is cheaper than both the original ripsaw and the cobra. I think the cobra offers better performance in some areas BUT it's a softer track and doesn't hold up as well as the others. That's why I don't buy them. Some people swear their Cobras hold up great but used Cobras always show the most wear. Might be a Michigan thing?

#19 ·
The ripsaw 2 was designed to offer the best characteristics of the original ripsaw (hardpack grip), cobra (soft snow grip) and predator (toughness). That or it was designed by Yamaha to help the Nytro turn better.
IIRC, the original ripsaw was also a yamaha design?
Anyway, I fell for the hype, and put a 136" ripsaw on my 02 xc800 to replace the stock 1.25 shockwave track that was shredded by ice buildup. I loved the hardpack traction, less impressed with its ability in looser stuff. And the increased sideways traction took away from the fun factor in the corners - less rear end powerslides and sled would just lift the inside ski. I guess this would be even more pronounced on a nytro, lol!

The rip II would probably have been better for my riding style - or simply a predator

#12 ·
I enjoyed my storm this season on my 21 650. It did seem to rob top end though, between the track and the shorter gears from polaris. I went 1.25 ice ripper this time on my 22 650 in hopes for just a bit more top end between 2.52 pitch and 1.25 track, but am aware I will give up some of the hole shot/corner to corner speed from the storm track.

#16 ·
1.6” for me and if I wanted anything shorter lugged I would snowcheck the cheapest track and swap it for an Ice attack xt. Better traction and more durable than both the ripper 2 and cobra 1.38. The way snow conditions have been I haven’t seen the need for the hurricane but would really like to try one.

#18 ·
I run Cobra and Rip 2 tracks on machines with the same skid and motor. They are 2ply versions with 1.25" lugs. I've run both tracks with and without studs.

The Rip 2 is a safe all around track. I wouldn't call it stellar, but it's good. It is also durable.

The Cobra hooks up better in a lot of conditions with one big exception. Pure hard pack/icy is the one to watch. The thinner lugs will fold or bend quicker. It actually has less straight line traction than the Rip 2 in those conditions The lugs will also suffer more if you like spinning on hard pack.
I have found that studding the Cobra helps stop the wear. Studs also help the straight line holeshot performance.
I prefer the Cobra in most conditions with it's consistent traction and snow evacuation. I wouldn't run it consistently on hard pack without studs.

If I'm going to beat a track to pieces all day long, I'd run the Rip2. It would also be my choice if I ran mostly hard pack without studs.

#28 ·
Ripsaw/ice rippers are junk. The reason they come stock on sleds is they are the cheapest sourced tracks for the manu’s. The only riders I find that like the rip2 are the Doo riders. Mainly because it is a 2 ply and a minor improvement over the Doo sourced single plies. For studded performance, the 1.3” cobra works best traditional studs as the studs extend the life of the soft lugs. Wish Doo would spend a little extra and supply cobras/ice cobras in 2 ply.

#29 ·
One thing I've kinda forgot on the ripsaw - the noise. Rode my Doo GTX last weekend and at some speeds the resonance noise from the rip is simply annoying, lol

#31 ·
Just bought a used 2021 Indy 600 SP 137. It has the factory Rip2 with a badly torn lug. I don’t race, don’t really need full blown studs and this sled will be just a strictly groomed trail sled. I’ve also been running “ice” tracks on all of my trail sleds for the past 7-8 years and had great results. They offer just enough added traction for icy conditions without the weight and added cost of regular studs. My current plan is to replace the torn Rip2 with an Ice Attack XT.

#32 ·
I don't think you can get an Ice Attak XT 137 in a 2 ply track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.