Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
so you'd prefer the 1.6 cobra for 80% trail 20% off trail? Looking to upgrade and am torn as well to staying with the 1.3 cobra or going rip 2 1.25. i don't mind going larger lug, just don't want to lose any engine cooling with the larger lug
I have never had more engine cooling issues with a 1.5 then others had with a 1.25 I rode with. Hyfax cooling same thing. If I had to guess, the 1.5 flips more snow up into the the tunnel for cooling.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,126 Posts
so you'd prefer the 1.6 cobra for 80% trail 20% off trail? Looking to upgrade and am torn as well to staying with the 1.3 cobra or going rip 2 1.25. i don't mind going larger lug, just don't want to lose any engine cooling with the larger lug
As two others posted. I haven't seen more cooling issues with a 1.6 over the shorter paddled sleds either.

·
Registered
2018 Rush 800 Pro-S, 2021 Matryx Switchback Assault 850
243 Posts
I have never had more engine cooling issues with a 1.5 then others had with a 1.25 I rode with. Hyfax cooling same thing. If I had to guess, the 1.5 flips more snow up into the the tunnel for cooling.
When I swapped the Ripsaw II for an Ice Storm on my 2018 Rush, the sled immediately ran 10-15F cooler under normal conditions. No more tail wiggle in corners, no more squirliness in loose snow on trails, no more track spin. The Storm is head and shoulders better than the Ripsaw II unless you're trying to squeeze every last mph out of the machine, in which case I'm sure there are better tracks for people that care that much...
Every machine i've ridden with a Cobra has performed as expected for a 1.35 track. Not a 1.5, but a fair amount better than the 1.25. I'm sure lug profile and density has more to do with it than pure lug length.
I'm honestly surprised this is even a discussion.

·
Vendor
10,304 Posts
both of our new snow check sleds will have the 1.6 cobra on them. the best track we found for 80% on trail and 20% off trail. the storm is right with it. the rip 2 sucks. spin city and terrible in any amount of snow. strictly a hard pack trail track only. and has to be studded. no thanks

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,126 Posts
both of our new snow check sleds will have the 1.6 cobra on them. the best track we found for 80% on trail and 20% off trail. the storm is right with it. the rip 2 sucks. spin city and terrible in any amount of snow. strictly a hard pack trail track only. and has to be studded. no thanks
With Polaris offered track options.... I 100% AGREE here. (y)

·
Registered
380 Posts
How does the ice ripper compare to the rip 2? I run strictly trail and have always used the 1.35 cobra but switched it up this year.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Ripsaw/ice rippers are junk. The reason they come stock on sleds is they are the cheapest sourced tracks for the manu’s. The only riders I find that like the rip2 are the Doo riders. Mainly because it is a 2 ply and a minor improvement over the Doo sourced single plies. For studded performance, the 1.3” cobra works best traditional studs as the studs extend the life of the soft lugs. Wish Doo would spend a little extra and supply cobras/ice cobras in 2 ply.

·
Registered
17,158 Posts
One thing I've kinda forgot on the ripsaw - the noise. Rode my Doo GTX last weekend and at some speeds the resonance noise from the rip is simply annoying, lol

·
Premium Member
‘21 Indy 600 SP 137 & 2015 RMK 155 LE
25,367 Posts
Just bought a used 2021 Indy 600 SP 137. It has the factory Rip2 with a badly torn lug. I don’t race, don’t really need full blown studs and this sled will be just a strictly groomed trail sled. I’ve also been running “ice” tracks on all of my trail sleds for the past 7-8 years and had great results. They offer just enough added traction for icy conditions without the weight and added cost of regular studs. My current plan is to replace the torn Rip2 with an Ice Attack XT.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,145 Posts
Just bought a used 2021 Indy 600 SP 137. It has the factory Rip2 with a badly torn lug. I don’t race, don’t really need full blown studs and this sled will be just a strictly groomed trail sled. I’ve also been running “ice” tracks on all of my trail sleds for the past 7-8 years and had great results. They offer just enough added traction for icy conditions without the weight and added cost of regular studs. My current plan is to replace the torn Rip2 with an Ice Attack XT.
I don't think you can get an Ice Attak XT 137 in a 2 ply track.

·
Premium Member
‘21 Indy 600 SP 137 & 2015 RMK 155 LE
25,367 Posts
I don't think you can get an Ice Attak XT 137 in a 2 ply track.
To be honest, I didn’t even look and I don’t have any personal concern with that. Or should I? I have been running the 121” version on the wife’s 2005 Classic 600 for quite a few years now without issue.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,145 Posts
I've never seen a 2-ply ice style track.
The Polaris ICE Storm 1.5 and ICE Ripper XT 1.25 on the Matryx sleds are both 2 ply. This is mentioned in the MY21 and MY22 specs I've posted here.

Reactions: sledhead800
21 - 40 of 50 Posts