Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ecoregion Rectangle Slope World Line

I'm about 50 miles inside of Michigan, normally I ride in the Upper peninsula of Michigan and Ontario (usually by the Soo).

Just curious, why is this still all red? I mean, run a groomer over it and open it up. Is this some stupid COVID issue?

·
Super Moderator
2016 1200 Renegade X
315 Posts
The OFSC has not put any restriction on sledding due to C-19, yet....

As a club member (not that club) I can tell you that more goes into trail prep then "run a groomer over it"

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I'm in the Stratford area and we have next to no snow. Clubs just finished staking last weekend around here. Without mother nature's help we won't be sledding for awhile. Long range is cold, but not much snow.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15 Pro X 800 , 16 Pro S LE 800, 06 Fusion 600 Dragon, 03 Edge X 600, 99 XC700SP, 96 XCRSP, 91 RXL
146 Posts
I'm in the Stratford area and we have next to no snow. Clubs just finished staking last weekend around here. Without mother nature's help we won't be sledding for awhile. Long range is cold, but not much snow.

We have about 16-20 inches on the ground here around in north end of Huron and had freezing rain and warmth Sunday to make good base. Trails have been marked since before Christmas and still haven't seen sign of groomer. Asked when they might and answer was maybe this weekend depending how things go, but trails still wouldn't open until after Monday soonest. Depending on what things? We have base, have snow, and are marked. What else is missing?

Brussels and Palmerston clubs started grooming, but trails still closed.

Think everyone is using covid as an excuse to sit on their ass and do nothing just like everything else right now. Likely worried that trails will get shut for covid and they would hate to lose all that time working.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I can see that snow depth chart being accurate. With all the wind we've had lately I can't see those amounts on the level.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
We have about 16-20 inches on the ground here around in north end of Huron and had freezing rain and warmth Sunday to make good base. Trails have been marked since before Christmas and still haven't seen sign of groomer. Asked when they might and answer was maybe this weekend depending how things go, but trails still wouldn't open until after Monday soonest. Depending on what things? We have base, have snow, and are marked. What else is missing?

Think everyone is using covid as an excuse to sit on their ass and do nothing just like everything else right now. Likely worried that trails will get shut for covid and they would hate to lose all that time working.
I stand corrected. We have maybe 6" but the wind blew most if it to ditches and fence bottoms. Brussels is always the 1st to groom. We usually leave from mitchell and head that way. Trails alway get better when you hit their club trails.

·
Premium Member
15 Pro X 800 , 16 Pro S LE 800, 06 Fusion 600 Dragon, 03 Edge X 600, 99 XC700SP, 96 XCRSP, 91 RXL
146 Posts
I can see that snow depth chart being accurate. With all the wind we've had lately I can't see those amounts on the level.

Son lives Milverton and wife works Listowel. Both tell me a LOT less snow east of Molesworth, and I know lot less south of Londesborough. But we got big dump last Thursday, and then an even bigger dump Sunday and especially yesterday. Wasn't great snow north of Hwy 9 last week, but they really got hit yesterday in wide streamers. Lake effect streamers yesterday that really dumped about 25-30 mile inland. Past that, you got flurries.

Yeah, Brussels always early. That's why my permit dollars always go to them instead of closest club. They have always acted as if they were a club run by hardcore snowmobilers for hardcore snowmobilers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I’m in Palmerston… got 25 miles running roads around town. Haven’t seen grooming yet but I’ve not looked really.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We got about 8" a couple days ago and like most sledders, I couldnt wait any longer. I went for a ride around the back roads and looked at a couple trail heads. No grooming yet and not enough snow to make it uncomfortable for the walkers. The cold makes for powdery snow and it just blows away. I feel for the first club to open any section of trail in central Ontario. There will be nothing but dirt within a few hours of opening. Not to mention those few that think it's ok to wander off the trails to play in the drifts.
We need days of temps around the freezing point. -4 to +2 and a couple feet of snow would pack things pretty nicely for the groomers to make trails.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Trails around Singhampton and top of the mountains are traditionally the first trails to open in Southern Ontario. They are still closed. You should get involved in your local club. They can use the help and you could learn what else is missing. Win Win!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Son lives Milverton and wife works Listowel. Both tell me a LOT less snow east of Molesworth, and I know lot less south of Londesborough. But we got big dump last Thursday, and then an even bigger dump Sunday and especially yesterday. Wasn't great snow north of Hwy 9 last week, but they really got hit yesterday in wide streamers. Lake effect streamers yesterday that really dumped about 25-30 mile inland. Past that, you got flurries.

Yeah, Brussels always early. That's why my permit dollars always go to them instead of closest club. They have always acted as if they were a club run by hardcore snowmobilers for hardcore snowmobilers.
Picking a particular club when you order your permit on line no longer means any extra direct dollars go to that club. That stopped a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Trails around Singhampton and top of the mountains are traditionally the first trails to open in Southern Ontario. They are still closed. You should get involved in your local club. They can use the help and you could learn what else is missing. Win Win!
Involved? Was actually president of local club for two terms in 90's, and quit then because trails were being designed for the good-ol-boys cruising club to club for beer stops instead of snowmobilers who wanted to put on miles. Couldn't drag them outa the 70's. Myself and vice even offered to run loans on our personal assets to buy large scale groomer Track Truck. The trail exec voted to buy an Alpine as "That was good enough"

Built and maintained section of trail in mid-2000's for 5 years for same club, and gave that up again when I was told we couldn't put our stakes in until ready to groom. Then was told I needed to make sharper corners, quit dividing lanes on hills, and generally make it harder to snowmobile because my trails allowed snowmobilers to go to fast and speed limit is only 30mph. Use the trail to slow people down. Now there's a great thought. Nobody can get hurt doing that, right?

After that I always checked Brussels box when available, and have even helped out on occasion. They build trails for snowmobilers.

Local should be out panning today with warm temps and now moisture in the air. Trail runs 100yd from my place and haven't seen anything yet. A 4x4 got stuck on unplowed road today that is also snowmobile trail, so I think it's deep enough.

Done venting. Sorry. Get told this all the time that if I don't help, don't expect change, but I think two strikes was enough.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Also near Stratford. Have to get out some time if it ever snows. In the mean time I’m guna load up and go find some serious snow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
View attachment 2127268

I'm about 50 miles inside of Michigan, normally I ride in the Upper peninsula of Michigan and Ontario (usually by the Soo).

Just curious, why is this still all red? I mean, run a groomer over it and open it up. Is this some stupid COVID issue?
is this a joke? 2”-4” and you think trails should be open 😂, Not to mention it has prob melted 3 times

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm in North Bay and our club is working their proverbial asses off to try and pack the trails and pick up all the felled trees we had from some nasty storms in December. Unfortunately, it's hard to groom and pack trails with only 8" of snow on the ground. A lot of our trails run over creeks and swamps that never really freeze because of environmental factors so its hard like I said to pack and create ice bridges with so little snow fall. I've been riding in the Near North area for the last 22 years. We need at least a solid 18" of snowfall to adequately cover a lot of the trails for packing and that includes a healthy base layer. I used to drive my Jeep up these trails in the summertime and a lot of them are choke full of rocks, stumps and streams that need to be substantially covered. Gotta drive to Cochrane or further north to get open trails and even then most are yellow with only a few stretches of sections that are fully open. It's been a shit start, we had quite a bit of snowfall in December but then the temps would rise and it would melt or we'd get freezing rain. Last year our season lasted 27 days because the entire Parry Sound/Near North regions were shut down by the Health Unit (C19) not the OFSC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts