Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished putting my edge in the SRX and now when i pin it, the back transfers SO much its bottoming out the rear skid and hitting my tunnel at the VERY back im talking right on top align with the rear wheels... sitting on the floor it took two uncles (200LB each) to make the rear skid compress enough to hit.... so im lost, im set at the lowest transfer i can be at, and my springs are at hard... any ideas why i have this much transfer and its bottoming out?... its the same as the edge mounts on JB shocks...

thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just finished putting my edge in the SRX and now when i pin it, the back transfers SO much its bottoming out the rear skid and hitting my tunnel at the VERY back im talking right on top align with the rear wheels... sitting on the floor it took two uncles (200LB each) to make the rear skid compress enough to hit.... so im lost, im set at the lowest transfer i can be at, and my springs are at hard... any ideas why i have this much transfer and its bottoming out?... its the same as the edge mounts on JB shocks...

thanks[/b]
Since it took two uncles at 200 lbs. each to compress the rear I would say that your spring rate setting is good. I would still check the spring rate and setting on the rear of the skid. Does it have the standard springs (.375 thickness for my '05 edge). What is the setting on the spring rate block? Soft, medium or hard? Also, since you adapted the edge skidfram to the Yami did you space the mounting holes the same as they would be on an edge chassis. This would be very important as it may change the suspension geometry.

You say that you have the weight transfer at its lowest setting. Are you sure? The rear scissor stop in the front mounting hole with the block turned so that the longest part of the block hits the rear of the rear scissor. I have my rear springs set to medium and my rear scissor blocks set to the most weight transfer in the front hole and I am nowhere near bottoming out on hard takeoffs. I weigh 180 lbs too.

How much do you weigh? Hopefully not two uncles. lol

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
...Set at the Lowest transfer?
Did you mean with the rear scissor stop in the stiffest position? (thickest part of the block forward)
Is the stop in the original location, or moved back to the lower position? There is alot of adjustability to it to control transfer.
One other posibility is the lower pivot arm position in the rail may have been moved, to allow it to bottom easier, even with a high preload on the springs, look at a stock edge skid and compare.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since it took two uncles at 200 lbs. each to compress the rear I would say that your spring rate setting is good. I would still check the spring rate and setting on the rear of the skid. Does it have the standard springs (.375 thickness for my '05 edge). What is the setting on the spring rate block? Soft, medium or hard? Also, since you adapted the edge skidfram to the Yami did you space the mounting holes the same as they would be on an edge chassis. This would be very important as it may change the suspension geometry.

You say that you have the weight transfer at its lowest setting. Are you sure? The rear scissor stop in the front mounting hole with the block turned so that the longest part of the block hits the rear of the rear scissor. I have my rear springs set to medium and my rear scissor blocks set to the most weight transfer in the front hole and I am nowhere near bottoming out on hard takeoffs. I weigh 180 lbs too.

How much do you weigh? Hopefully not two uncles. lol[/b]

...Set at the Lowest transfer?
Did you mean with the rear scissor stop in the stiffest position? (thickest part of the block forward)
Is the stop in the original location, or moved back to the lower position? There is alot of adjustability to it to control transfer.
One other posibility is the lower pivot arm position in the rail may have been moved, to allow it to bottom easier, even with a high preload on the springs, look at a stock edge skid and compare.[/b]

Well the mounting is the same as a edge it was taken from JB shocks whereas they took the exact measurements from a polaris tunnel so my yamaha mimics the polaris accordingly. the transfer blocks are at the first hole, also they are turned so the thickest side or the one with the dot is at the front, springs are the stock ones as far as i know ( the skid only has 600miles on it its from a 2005)... it also was adjusted to the hardest setting when contact occured....

So im really stumped how the suspension compressed that much on take off to acutally bottom out the skid for the contact to occur, as that is the ONLY time the track gets close enough to hit..... heres a pic of the skid see if you can see anything out of whack the rear scissor is in the middle mounting posititon by the way..

I also weigh like 160....

thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Can you get a shot inside the rails and one directly from the side.. Looking for the RSS and FSS stops and hole locations.

How do you like the swap so far.? My buddy has a 01.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My skid used to do the same thing in my `02 XC700. I got the shocks rebuilt and the rear PPS revalved slightly harder and with the same setup i can no longer bottom it on a launch but i have much less transfer now to.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you get a shot inside the rails and one directly from the side.. Looking for the RSS and FSS stops and hole locations.

How do you like the swap so far.? My buddy has a 01.[/b]
I attached a link of my build thread i should have bunch of pictures of the skid in there.. my attachment limit is almost met so ill have to take some new pics today and put them on later

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...272067&st=0

Im headed over to ride today, dad and uncle changed around the rear scissor mount to the hole closest to the rear idlers and adjusted my mounts lower by a inch and half and theyn say i have clearance now so ill have to check it out and see thanks for your help.

Also i really like it so far the ride is great and hook up in amazing, with the hacksaw and 192 1.175" studs it bites everywhere and really pulls your arms.....

My skid used to do the same thing in my `02 XC700. I got the shocks rebuilt and the rear PPS revalved slightly harder and with the same setup i can no longer bottom it on a launch but i have much less transfer now to.[/b]
Thanks for your input, i was thinking shocks but due to the such low milage on the skid i wasnt sure.... i may try to get the ps3 revalved and see if it stops it...

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
The pictures make the rear mounting point look high in the tunnel. As long as the skid isn't squatting now, I'd say your Dad and uncle are spot on the money with their adjustments. Please keep us posted on your results.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pictures make the rear mounting point look high in the tunnel. As long as the skid isn't squatting now, I'd say your Dad and uncle are spot on the money with their adjustments. Please keep us posted on your results.[/b]

Well sucess the sled rides awesome, the springs are at medium and it WILL NOT hit now....we moved the rear mounting holes down a 1.5" alsmost.... even with the suspension on the blocks bottomed out ( again two 200lb ppl on back bumper).... so that was a sucess however since they moved that rear scissor mount to the farthest hole back it seems like i have next to zero trasfer... certainly nothing like i had before... the blocks are also at the dot side forward.... so im thinking i need to move the rear scissor back to the middle setting and then adjust the trasfer accordingly... whats everyone think?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I would move the blocks to the back hole. That'll give you max transfer. The only problem may come in with bottoming due to the loss of coupling. That's a balancing act you'll need to play with - or install a clicker rear shock and use it to control bottoming.

Edit: Not sure of your weight. If it's not over 200-220, I'd have them move that link pivot point back to the middle hole.

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I weigh in at 160 michahicks....ive also read a bit about the PPS shock itself and the bypass, im thinking my best bet is to run a fox shock or a clicker rear instead... then adjust my trasfer accordingly...tommorow im gonna move the hole back to the middle setting then see how the slow increments of trasfer affect the skid, and hopefully plan on getting the whole shock thing corrected if that is why im bottoming out on takeoff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts