Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 zr 600 EFI and it seems to bog out after about 10 min of riding, it only bogs at around 7000 rpm if you hold it at a steady speed/rpm. I run premium fuel (no ethanol), synthetic oil and Dexcool antifreeze (the orange stuff). I just had the engine completely rebuilt about 350 miles ago ($1,800) it has good compression the sled has a total of 7234 miles on it. I am wondering if its has anything to do with the thermostat because the temp light comes on only after I shut it off then start it again. The light goes off within 20 seconds. If I unplug the witre on the head that goes to the thermostat (I believe) the light wont go on. I am so frusterated with these money pits my brother just came home on his skidoo with a broken steering colum and my friends polaris needs the tunnel re rivited. Skidoo, arcticat, polaris, whatever to me all these machines are junk unless you have alot of money. Once I fix mine Im sellin it and gettin outta the sport. Any suggestions on WTF is goin on would be awesome and once Its fixed Ill either trade for a truck or sell it thanks. oh yeah and its not the TPS its already unplugged.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sounds as if you have an over heating problem. There are two coolant temp sensors in the efi machines. The large one on the mag side of the thermostat housing, this one is for the temp warning light in the dash. The other one in under the thermostat housing and is the sensor for the ECU. It the ECU detects an over heat situation it will switch to a limp home mode that will limit the max RPM.

Pull the thermostat housing and pull the thermostat and run it. and see if the prblem still persists. Just be carefull to warm up the engine compleatly before riding. Put your hand on the rear cooler and feel for warmth.

Also I would suggest that you ditch the dexcool. There is a reason that Cat still only uses the green stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts