Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Cats and want to trade my F7, but what are my choices, an '04 F7 which is essentially identical to '03 other than BNG, nothing else is new, the only reason to change would be for reliability which I have a hard time spending money on to change as Cat should back up '03's with extra warranty. Or I can get an '03 900 EFI with Direct Drive, a few pounds lighter but even CAT says drive system is no more effiient and EFI is less modable, it doesn't even have new hood. Something tells me this is the last year of the ZR9 before CAT brings the F8/9 for next year. Why switch? At least they could of made rear skid on F7 like the '03 Sno-Pro for better handling which might have been enough to get me to change. The only thing I really like is the look of the Black Nightfire which would mean changing for basically BNG.

Frankly I'm disappointed.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I would agree that a change to an '04 F Cat won't get you much more than new graphics. But since the '03's were such a radical change, I guess I wasn't expecting much in the way of big changes this year.
The new sleds will be for those who just like to change every year, and for those who were waiting one year for the 03's to get debugged.
My guess is that it could be a couple of years before we see any huge changes to the F Cats.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think the graphics suck the only one that I realy like is the sabercat package that you can't get in the performance susp. which I would have to have. I thought I would like the bomber but it looks like somthing out of a cartoon. esspecally with the bear on the cowl. I was going to trade but the graphics suck nothing new for upgrades really for o4 I wanted the crosslink susp. didn't get it. So instead of spending $7000 dollars for something that is just like my 03 but with gay graphics, And possibly the same problems. :angry: I will just go to haydays and pick up a crosslink susp. out of an o3 440 sp. The only reason I would consider trading is for the warranty. which my dealer told me they would take care of any problems I have with engine and fuel system. Even after my warranty is up in dec. :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Originally posted by Captainkev@Feb 25 2003, 02:51 PM
I would agree that a change to an '04 F Cat won't get you much more than new graphics. But since the '03's were such a radical change, I guess I wasn't expecting much in the way of big changes this year.
The new sleds will be for those who just like to change every year, and for those who were waiting one year for the 03's to get debugged.
My guess is that it could be a couple of years before we see any huge changes to the F Cats.

Kevin
I agree. I am sort of glad there is nothing really new because I was not planning on buying a new sled this year. This way mine is still "current" and not outdated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cat missed my sale of a high price model by 1 year and I'm glad. The f7 carb would have been bought in 2003. But since cat forced efi down my throat I built a f5/720 and love it, I won't change to a f7. The 720 is faster than the f7efi, lighter and runs great with the pipe sensor. The cylinders also have the 900 power valves that have bleeders on them and the cables run over the engine instead of under for no gumming up and sticking like the f's. I also like the fun of a powerful higher reving 8400-8500rpm quick shifting trail sled.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
morrisond, I think you are exactly right on the 900. I was hoping for a new hood with that drive system and I would have thought about buying one. I'm not going back to that style. I agree the 8 & 9 will be F-Cats next year, so why change the hood for 1 year. I think they are too plain for 04. I like the Fighter, but the bear is a little too much. The black one is cool, if it only had a tiny bit of red in it. I hate to say it, but I like the std green or red best. I would like to see HP #s on the 700 carb before I buy that one. Maybe I'll have to wait another year. Perhaps the shows and seeing them upclose will change it for me.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I agree. I am sort of glad there is nothing really new because I was not planning on buying a new sled this year. This way mine is still "current" and not outdated.

Coulldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Originally posted by looneytune@Feb 25 2003, 03:54 PM
I was hoping for a new hood with that drive system and I would have thought about buying one.
If they put the same hood on the ZR900 that they put on the firecat, I'd probably be at my dealer's right now working out the deal. I may pick up a used 03 ZR900 instead. I think it looked better, and other than the new direct drive, I see no advantage to the 04.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are you people crazy? If they have dramatic upgrades and changes it DROPS THE VALUE OF YOUR 03 F7 LIKE A ROCK. Now that they are not changing EVERYTHING again on us, people won't be giving away their 03's to get the 04, hence keeping the value up. This is great! I finally bought a sled that wan't outdated before I ride it.

This happened to my brother last year. He bought the ZR500 and didn't ride until January. Guess what? The Fcats where out and his sled was worth 1/2 what he JUST paid (and very hard to sell).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have to say i don't agree....I think Cat really thought of the trail rider by adding all the new sabercat choices. No more ZL's, but some real neat upgrades (trunk,seat,mirrors,reverse,electric & remote start) in the new chassis. Cat is listening to us with the additions and options like 144" tracks, other track options, EFi or carb choices...Direct Drive on the 900, Turbo for the four stroke folks that wanted more HP. I don't see how we can expect much more after such a radical change with the F sleds this year. Hell,even a two yr. warranty............THEY HAD BETTER GIVE US ANOTHER !!! We did a bunch of R&D this year. Just my opinion but i think we expect too much sometimes.....Your sled retained some value. For those that wanted the f8 or f9 i would have been very surprised after the release of the f6 motor this year. I'm sure it's on the horizon...............Just my two cents......THANKS

·
Registered
125 Posts
in complete agreement with the top twon posts. First, I am really glad I have my 03, second, with what AC is offering for 04 I can wait another year or two and see if they come out with the F8, F9.. mid-season release????just means are 03s are gonna be hot on the resale market..

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Oh yeah...One more thing. Still waiting for Yamaha to release a longer travel srx since i bought my 98 srx...hehehehehe see what i mean, I think cat has done an admirable job on the 04's

·
Registered
174 Posts
I do not know how the Sabercats are going to fair. Aggressive chassis for a "tame" trail rider? I figured they would run the ZL's in the ZR chassis and move the 900 over to the F-chassis first. Wrong I was, but I banked on a change, that's why I got into the F-chassis over a ZR 900 this year.

I don't see the point of the direct drive in the 900. How much and how easy to gear the sled? Racers would probably want the chain drive back.

I'd like to see a F8 or F9 with the direct drive, since we are in the market for the weight savings.

I do agree that the ZR 900 is done this year (04) and I predict bad sales. JMHO.

Glad I got my 03 F7. Yes, carbed would be nice, but I don't mess around with my stuff anymore, so the EFI is sufficient. They sure would have sold more 03 F7's if they were carbed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts