Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new set of gauges for my 03 F7 SnoPro, just wondering who's running a digatron and how hard it is to configure, hook up, etc...I did purchase the PC download cable, not sure if I'll find it useful, but figured it may be easier to look at the info on a PC rather than real time or played back on the gauges....Next mods are going to be the BMP pipe mod and fuel restrictor, stock timing key...

Now, question is this: Since I can't get to BMPs dyno (no time, too far...), how hard is it to try and tune up my top end so I don't pop it? Anyone have any experience tuning this setup WITHOUT putting it on they dyno? I don't necessarily care (right now) about max HP and being on the edge- I'd rather sacrifice some HP for reliability.

thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just start up with the fuel restricter open all the way and watch your temps. I "think" you want to keep them below 1200-1250.Then just keep dialing it down for more hp.I doing the same mods this year but I'm running the key also.I think tuning off the egt gauges is more accurite anyhow seeing it's real world testing.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
The EGT really is a guide to be used to help prevent you from going to far but it will never guaranty you from grief. In cases of detonation you will actually see lower temps and by that time it is too late. With the fuel restriction the EGT is a great way of tuning but always check your wash and plugs. You will find that you will fine tune more frequently than you would imagine with an efi that is suppose to compensate for weather condition changes. Once you have determined what you feel is safe temps and I agree on the 1200 range - depending of course on where your probes are located - you can fine tune from there. I especially like the adjustable needle valve I use and others here sell rather then the in line jet as it allows you simple easy access fine tuning and all you need is a allen key. If your ecu is rich on top end you will find some great cheap HP. To me this is the best bang for the buck you could ever buy provided you are rich on top as I stated.

Good luck

ptm

Forgot to add the PC down load is very valuable tuning tool but you need to have your jackshaft hooked up as well. With this tool you can see how quickly clutching changes bring you to 1 to 1 and if you know what you are doing you will be able to see what really works and what does not. Dyno numbers are nice but real world testing will tellb the whole truth

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plan is to run it stock (w/BMP pipe mod) to get a baseline of where things are at, both fuel pressure and EGTs. Once I determine that top end EGTs are low (and that fuel pressure is available to drop), I plan on restricting down the top end w/ SpeedWorks1000's adj. regulator, in VERY small increments. I don't care if I get to 1200*- i'm fine w/ 1100-1150*.

I'm also open to suggestions on what I should- and should not be looking for, etc...I don't care if it's dead on the dog's nits for max HP- I'm just looking for a little bump. I plan on installing the probes ~2" from the exhaust gasket. Unless it needs to be closer/ farther away...Which I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
just so you know you will quiet often see temps in the midrange of 1275 to 1325 and on wide open runs I seen temps of 1150 on the top...

This was on an 03...

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Originally posted by likkerpig@Sep 30 2005, 02:20 PM
My plan is to run it stock (w/BMP pipe mod) to get a baseline of where things are at, both fuel pressure and EGTs.  Once I determine that top end EGTs are low (and that fuel pressure is available to drop), I plan on restricting down the top end w/ SpeedWorks1000's adj. regulator, in VERY small increments.  I don't care if I get to 1200*- i'm fine w/ 1100-1150*. 

I'm also open to suggestions on what I should- and should not be looking for, etc...I don't care if it's dead on the dog's nits for max HP- I'm just looking for a little bump.  I plan on installing the probes ~2" from the exhaust gasket.  Unless it needs to be closer/ farther away...Which I have no idea.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=901355
[/quote]

I run the same fuel reg as Speedy has and to me that is the best out there. A little story I can tell you is that once I had my sled a 03 F7 ecu set up already at my lake for a radar run the next weekend. We were very happy with 1200- 1250 temps rpms 8000 through the gates and hitting 116-117 mph in 2000 feet. Well the following weekend about 3 hours north of me at the radar run with nothing changed and feeling good the first trip down the track I was horrified to run only 102 mph, egt's were 900 and rpm's 75-7600. Two turns of the dial brought egt's up to 1050-1100, rpms to 7800 and speed to 108. Two more turns went to 1200 temps rpms to 8000 and speed 113. Unbelieveable that the efi system that is thought to adjust to the temps does not adjust completly. This may be an odd occassion but with this setup you can fine tuen each and everyday if needed ro get your happy spot and leave it until you need to run someone down.

ptm

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PTM, that's truly bizarre. You would think the EFI would take care of itself. Fastboy, thanks for the heads up. With the added HP, what's everyone running for weights in the primary, to keep the RPMs under control? Is ~2" about the right distance for a proper EGT reading?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts