Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I'm curious how low it was in the break in mode. Seems odd they didn't want to post them. If it was good in break in mode they would have been shouting from the hills, we'll see. Polaris tried the dual injector thing and it was a disaster, I rode one and they couldn't get the transition correct. Burned up alot of motors trying.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I'm curious how low it was in the break in mode. Seems odd they didn't want to post them. If it was good in break in mode they would have been shouting from the hills, we'll see. Polaris tried the dual injector thing and it was a disaster, I rode one and they couldn't get the transition correct. Burned up alot of motors trying.
Isnt the main difference though that the AC system isn't "transferring" like what Polaris did and the fact that AC injects gas AND oil?

·
Premium Member
12,019 Posts
Jims doing this the right way. Pre break in. After break in, he can write 1 article, tell and show it all in one thread.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I believe the new Cat still uses one injector per cylinder, not two like Polaris did. It's dual stage injection, not dual injectors. Meaning that at lower throttle settings, it is injecting into the combustion chamber, and at higher throttle, it also injects through the slotted piston into the crankcase.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I believe the new Cat still uses one injector per cylinder, not two like Polaris did. It's dual stage injection, not dual injectors. Meaning that at lower throttle settings, it is injecting into the combustion chamber, and at higher throttle, it also injects through the slotted piston into the crankcase.
Yup.

Quoting: https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/2018-m-8000-sno-pro-first-ride/

Fuel is no longer injected into the throttle bodies but rather a semi-direct intake port injection system located on the opposite side of the cylinder (single injector per cylinder). Oil is also injected into the fuel rail allowing oil and fuel to be injected into the top end simultaneously. We are not aware of any other manufacturer injecting oil into the fuel rail, so this is a unique feature to Arctic Cat.

Although other manufacturers have used semi-direct injection, none have used what Arctic Cat calls Dual-Stage Injection (DSI). Here is how it is unique: The piston has a slot cut into the skirt directly in front of the intake transfer port which allows the injector to deliver the fuel/oil mixture at any point in the stroke.

The two stages are as follows:

1) The ECU can control the injectors to deliver the fuel/oil mixture based off piston location. If the mixture is delivered when the piston is below the injector, the result is cleaner emission through the lower cruising throttle positions than compared to the previous throttle body injection system.

2) When the injectors are allowed to deliver fuel/oil through a longer part of the piston travel, the mixture of fuel and oil will also spray to the underside of the piston and will be directed at all of the moving top end parts. This will make for better lubrication and cooling which can also make for improved power.

An electronic oil pump mounted to the bottom of the oil reservoir replaces the previous mechanical unit that was mounted to the crank case and gear driven off the crankshaft. The ECU controls the new oil pump and uses several imputes such as throttle position and RPM to determine how much oil the injection system needs to deliver. Not only is oil injected into the fuel rail, it is also injected into the bottom end to help lubricate the crankshaft. Arctic Cat claims a 30% reduction in oil consumption below 7000 RPM. Less oil consumption is always a welcome improvement. The previous Suzuki 800 is known for being very reliable and Arctic Cat claims the new lubrication system improves on what was already a good system.

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Same DSI system the 6000 C-tec2 has been using since 2014. Great injection system for as simple as it actually is !

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I heard that they were not sure which version of this engine to release. They have an 850, 826, and the 800. Hoping to get quite a bit of seat time on one tomorrow, will report back if it works out.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Number are on Dynotech research page. You have to be a subscriber to see them. The sled made a few more hp post breakin mode.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Might be a bit higher than 160 if they have hard rings and need a few miles to wear in beyond just break-in mode, similar to the poo. The peak is real flat, should be easier to clutch as well.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts