Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was planning on coming up to Pittsburg next weekend with some friends to do some riding. Now I may be coming up to get away from the hustle and bustle, tie one on and watch some football.

Here is a link of another thread I posted. Not looking like good news for me. But what I want to know is who you would most trust to do engine work like this in the Pittsburg area or any other part of the state for that matter?

I am not necessarily just looking for a dealership that can handle this type of work, but who might have the best person to do the job. Each person is better at something than another person. There might be someone out there who specializes in this kind of work, because not everybody at every dealership can do this.

Also, any idea on how much this might cost? I know some people are going to say to just get e new one, but that just isn't in the cards right now$$$$$$$ This has been a good machine and has low miles, and I just hate the thought of junking it.

Also, not sure if this is a common problem with this particular engine, so I don't know if it might be better to pick up a sled being parted out and just drop a used engine into it.

Thanks for your input.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...howtopic=299950

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Well, I was planning on coming up to Pittsburg next weekend with some friends to do some riding. Now I may be coming up to get away from the hustle and bustle, tie one on and watch some football.

Here is a link of another thread I posted. Not looking like good news for me. But what I want to know is who you would most trust to do engine work like this in the Pittsburg area or any other part of the state for that matter?

I am not necessarily just looking for a dealership that can handle this type of work, but who might have the best person to do the job. Each person is better at something than another person. There might be someone out there who specializes in this kind of work, because not everybody at every dealership can do this.

Also, any idea on how much this might cost? I know some people are going to say to just get e new one, but that just isn't in the cards right now$$$$$$$ This has been a good machine and has low miles, and I just hate the thought of junking it.

Also, not sure if this is a common problem with this particular engine, so I don't know if it might be better to pick up a sled being parted out and just drop a used engine into it.

Thanks for your input.
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/inde...howtopic=299950[/b]
Give Joel Young a call at Young's Third Generation Repair, 603 538-6869. I am quite sure he can take care of you and he is a very good mechanic. I use him for all maintenance on my sleds. In any event check him out. He is located on the east side of Route 3 just south of the Arctic Cat/Polaris dealer and has direct trail access.

Mark :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
If its got low miles and compression checks out on outside cylinders just do the center. Back in college my buddy bought a '96 ultra new and did the same thing. Miles were still low so we replaced just the center piston and rings and honed cylinder....did it on a Friday night, drove to Pittsburg to meet buddys up there in a snowstorm, got there at 4am, slept in the truck, got buddys from camp in am, rode over 200 miles Sat and I can't remember how many more Sunday am.

My buddy put another 1000 miles on that sled that winter then sold it to another new riding buddy that probably put another 3k on it and the thing never missed a beat ever.

I can help you out with the work if you want I work on sleds on the side.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'd trust myself, go up and see what you got, any ride is better than sitting around the house waiting for trails to be perfect. I did that last year and got in 400 miles. Get out there!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'd trust myself, go up and see what you got, any ride is better than sitting around the house waiting for trails to be perfect. I did that last year and got in 400 miles. Get out there![/b]
Whoops! wrong thread! Too many coca colas last night I guess. :coffee-n-news:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as a follow up... the compression test came out to be 122-105-122.

Thank you to those who replied with info or to help out. I will be in touch to get this fixed.

Thanks,

UK

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Just as a follow up... the compression test came out to be 122-105-122.

Thank you to those who replied with info or to help out. I will be in touch to get this fixed.

Thanks,

UK[/b]
That test tells it all. Just do the center one and it should run for many miles to come.

Mark :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might I add, don't just think it will be fixed in a day or so, many shops are 2 to 3 weeks out on work! Wish I had gotten told that myself before, on the coldest day of the year dropped my sled off at 5 am![/b]

I understand that.... it's the wrong time of the year to expect a quick fix for something like this. I would bet that most shops in the North Country are quite busy right now. I am not one of those unrealistic, PITA customers.

Hopefully the shop where you go will give you a pretty honest guideline as to how long they will need to get to your machine.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Joel is pretty quick and has spent alot of time in Polaris shop so he knows his way around your sled. I've talked to afew people that he's got going in very reasonable time. He did some welding on my Bobcat this summer had me up and running in 20 min from the time I brought the machine in, and he was busy when I got there it was'nt like he was waiting for snowflakes so that someone would bring a sled in to be worked on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts