Hardcore Sledder banner

Who would you let ride your sled

3K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Amouta 
#1 ·
Ok so I bought my nephew his own 1997 440ZR and my Brother takes my F7 Limited Edition Patriot as his the backup sled for a trip. I tell him that I don’t want ANYONE using my F7 and he thinks I am being unreasonable. So I post this Question.
Who would you let ride your primary snowmobile? My answer NO ONE.

#2 ·
Ok so I bought my nephew his own 1997 440ZR and my Brother takes my F7 Limited Edition Patriot as his the backup sled for a trip. I tell him that I don’t want ANYONE using my F7 and he thinks I am being unreasonable. So I post this Question.
Who would you let ride your primary snowmobile? My answer NO ONE.[/b]

My parents both ride, and either of them are welcome to my sled whenever they need - other than that, no one comes to mind that I would hand it over to. I don't blame you on this one.

#3 ·
I don't care who rides it as long as they realize they pay for anything that happens to it as far as physical damage goes. If they blew up the motor as long as there was oil and coolant in it I'd let that go because it could just as easily happened with me riding it.

This is the first winter I haven't had a spare sled but I've let friends and family use my spare for the last 4 seasons with no issues.

#4 ·
I don't care who rides it as long as they realize they pay for anything that happens to it as far as physical damage goes. If they blew up the motor as long as there was oil and coolant in it I'd let that go because it could just as easily happened with me riding it.

This is the first winter I haven't had a spare sled but I've let friends and family use my spare for the last 4 seasons with no issues.[/b]

I think a spare is a different story. If I had a spare, I'd allow anyone responsible enough to pay for damages. But even though I'm a reasonable person, I'd be p*ssed if there was snow on the ground, and my sled was in the shop - and it happened to break while someone else was riding it. I'd much rather break it myself. Ok, so maybe thats not very reasonable.......

#6 ·
I have let friends use my sleds, and they know. Crash, you buy it. If they don't like it, go buy your own shit. I personally would only let the Adult who you are giving the sled to use it. Remember, the nice guy always get's screwed. The last thing you need is everyone with them taking turns hammering the hell out of it.

#7 ·
I think a spare is a different story. If I had a spare, I'd allow anyone responsible enough to pay for damages. But even though I'm a reasonable person, I'd be p*ssed if there was snow on the ground, and my sled was in the shop - and it happened to break while someone else was riding it. I'd much rather break it myself. Ok, so maybe thats not very reasonable.......[/b]

I've been looking for an excuse for new iron so if someone broke mine I'd just buy a new one but I hear what your saying. If you feel that way don't even let your brother take it as a spare so theres no temptation to ride it

#10 ·
I let friends or family try it out on our property or if I swap off with another bud that I'm riding with. As for letting anyone borrow it to go riding and possibly use or abuse it in a way that that I wouldn't... nope!Lots of wear and tear can rack up that isn't visible right away especially if you are not familiar with all the quirks that an individual sled may have. I'll let you borrow my pickup though! Go figure!?

#11 ·

This is the first winter I haven't had a spare sled but I've let friends and family use my spare for the last 4 seasons with no issues.[/b]
I would let any of my friends or family (accept my husband) ride mine in the yard or field near the house, but I am not comfortable with anyone taking it out for the day, but me! Call me selfish but its MINE :nono: !!!!! I am not like that with anything else but with this...it is mine, all mine...my husband isn't allowed to ride it cause the minute he gets on it he thinks he needs to modify the crap out of it...and he rides like a bat out of hell too...thats my baby...don't want him racing around on it...and boy I would be ticked if he screwed something up. Better to leave it just for me...that way no hard feelings.

#13 ·
Primary sled? - Where I can see em and within reason....other than that nope.
Spare - I take friends occassionally. Two never offered to put gas in it so I have never offered again, but the majority have been more than appreciative. Its a learning experience in human nature for sure.

#14 ·
As others have said, only if they can pay for it the next business day if they wreck it will I do it. Although some years ago I let a buddy use Mrs. Crazed sled, my new rule is they have to be a sledder and can pay for it the next business day if they wreck it.[/b]

Some more information about the situation, my nephew drove the 440 into a tree last year. My brother says that he cannot pay for a new clutch so how can he afford a new sled if he breaks mine. And at 8000 miles the remaining ones belong to ME.

#16 ·
I've only let one other person ride my F6 and that was because I was riding his sled. He wanted to see how it felt compared to his 2001 MXZ 600 (totally different animals). We didn't ride for too long before I wanted back on my sled. Other than that, I have not, and will not, let anyone else ride my sled. It's my baby and I know no one around me could afford to pay for it if it got damaged (other than my father).

#19 ·
I'd never let anyone take any of our sleds without me or my middle son with them....

Ya I let some friends try them out in the back field, but not on a ride or a trip.

Immediate family's a little different. My primary sled I'd only let the same son and my youngest son ride it without me there, just a ride, not a weekend trip. Plus they have to catch me in a good mood, I've said no to them more than a few time cause I don't want it to become a habbit. Christ they have there own sleds anyway, they just want the one that rides the best....

I used to let my kids friends ride our spare sled and it always came back broken. That stopped, it got into a pissing contest on who did what. Now its drinking antifreeze. Live and learn, never again.

#21 ·
Who would you let ride your primary snowmobile? My answer NO ONE.[/b]
Is he concerned his primary sled will not make it through the trip....if so maybe he shouldn't make the trip.An F7 is no child's toy whether it's in the hands of a adult or teen!....Knock on wood,it's been a while since I have broken something on a sled but when I did we ended the trip early and returned home...good luck!

#23 ·
Wow, you guys are hardcore! I do understand where you're comming from though. In my case I'm the least experienced rider in our group, and I also have the newest sled. Everyone wants to give it a shot and I have no problem with that. I trust all of them with my life (sometimes literally) and am fine with them taking my machine for a rip, since they are all responsible riders, and all much better riders than I am.

As we sat on the side of a large field where we were fooling around, a family pulled in. We were just talking and the father and kids started doing some runs up and down the field. The dad stopped by us and we chatted for a bit. He asked about the nytro, and how it felt for a 4 stoke. My response was to turn it on and tell him "take it up and down the field a time or two." He babied it (being respectful), had some fun, and changed his opinion of a what a 4 stroke could do to boot. It was nice chatting with him and I felt comfortable watching him ride it since I'd seen him handle his own sled on some high speed runs. Maybe I'm crazy, I just like shareing the sport and enjoying others company. If I hadn't seen him out riding a few times before, or watched him make those runs, I wouldn't have. Guess I'm just friendly.

Some other riders came in that my friend had met before. When we inquired about their Z1 they hopped off it and had my friend take it up and down the field. Same sort of thing, just being friendly riders. All in all a fun experience and everyone had a good time.

#24 ·
Wow, you guys are hardcore! I do understand where you're comming from though. In my case I'm the least experienced rider in our group, and I also have the newest sled. Everyone wants to give it a shot and I have no problem with that. I trust all of them with my life (sometimes literally) and am fine with them taking my machine for a rip, since they are all responsible riders, and all much better riders than I am.

As we sat on the side of a large field where we were fooling around, a family pulled in. We were just talking and the father and kids started doing some runs up and down the field. The dad stopped by us and we chatted for a bit. He asked about the nytro, and how it felt for a 4 stoke. My response was to turn it on and tell him "take it up and down the field a time or two." He babied it (being respectful), had some fun, and changed his opinion of a what a 4 stroke could do to boot. It was nice chatting with him and I felt comfortable watching him ride it since I'd seen him handle his own sled on some high speed runs. Maybe I'm crazy, I just like shareing the sport and enjoying others company. If I hadn't seen him out riding a few times before, or watched him make those runs, I wouldn't have. Guess I'm just friendly.

Some other riders came in that my friend had met before. When we inquired about their Z1 they hopped off it and had my friend take it up and down the field. Same sort of thing, just being friendly riders. All in all a fun experience and everyone had a good time.[/b]
...I can tell you about a horror story that took place on Woodford lake about 8 years...I bet you would never let a stranger jump on your sled ever again.

#25 ·
Perhaps. I'll admit it was a risk, but so was when my friend let me take his brand new clutched Rev 800 around the field when I had never ridden a sled before. For the record, i hung it on a rock hard. Not the same risk by any means, but a risk none the same. I guess part of it was being only a mile from home where he has ridden all his life, maybe I'm just wrong in the head. I totally get why someone wouldn't let anyone touch their sled, I guess I just have a wider boundry. I wouldn't mind hearing that story (you can pm it to me if you don't want to post it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.