Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...of the four main sled manufacturers to come out with a mass produced carbon fiber tunnel?

·
Registered
89 Posts
You'll see electric sleds made available to the public before CF tunnel technology is.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris 850 Indy xc 137” Ice Ripper, HD rear torsions, Studboy Dueces Kimpex fuel holder
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if cooling is an issue with gas powered sleds, then an electric sled with carbon fiber tunnel and bulkhead should be doable. The lightness of the carbon fiber should offset heavier (longer range) battery packs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, if cooling is an issue with gas powered sleds, then an electric sled with carbon fiber tunnel and bulkhead should be doable. The lightness of the carbon fiber should offset heavier (longer range) battery packs.
True, but holy shit ... what kind of price tag do you think that machine would have? HUGE is my bet!!!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
True, but holy shit ... what kind of price tag do you think that machine would have? HUGE is my bet!!!
Well at that expense, who is going to be the first one to buy an EV sled that can go a total of 65 miles in the best of conditions. Get you to a location where the only charging is 110 outlet at maybe a mile per hour charging rate. Toss in the Extremely high price and the fact that even Elon Mush cant make money selling $100,000 plus junk cars. Who is in?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The carbon fiber technology is there. I hate to say, the Chinese are mass producing low cost CF as we speak. New electrostatic motors are on the near horizon and are amazingly lighter and more efficient than current brushless dc motors. Batteries are getting better.

Yes Elon Musk debuted with $$$$ cars, but as you can see there is an emerging trend for high performance sports cars going to EV, Maserati, Jaguar, even our beloved Mustang. But there is a more reasonable consumer segment EVs making progress. Look at the Tesla model 3

Doable price and nice range.

What would you say if in the next three to five years there was a mass produced sled with same or better performance as a current Sidewinder or Thundercat, had a 200 mile range on a single charge, was 450 lbs ready to ride, and could charge overnight off of 110v, and had a cost of $25,000 including 4 year warranty?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The carbon fiber technology is there. I hate to say, the Chinese are mass producing low cost CF as we speak. New electrostatic motors are on the near horizon and are amazingly lighter and more efficient than current brushless dc motors. Batteries are getting better.

Yes Elon Musk debuted with $$$$ cars, but as you can see there is an emerging trend for high performance sports cars going to EV, Maserati, Jaguar, even our beloved Mustang. But there is a more reasonable consumer segment EVs making progress. Look at the Tesla model 3 View attachment 2118372

Doable price and nice range.

What would you say if in the next three to five years there was a mass produced sled with same or better performance as a current Sidewinder or Thundercat, had a 200 mile range on a single charge, was 450 lbs ready to ride, and could charge overnight off of 110v, and had a cost of $25,000 including 4 year warranty?
Problem is you are talking more like over 600 lbs and there is no way you are going to get 200 miles of range on a sled. Lucky to get 100, and that would make the sled even heavier. Throw in cold weather and your range is reduced even more and Edmonds has tested every Tesla model and found that the range they show to the actual, is lower by quite a bit. Sorry but not worth the effort.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not saying it could be built today, but in the future with how technology is advancing I don’t think it will be impossible. Time will tell.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rumor a few years back is that Yamaha hired one of the top carbon fiber guys in U.S. and had some patens on what looked to be snowmobile parts. Maybe they will finally build there own sled using carbon fiber? Can not imagine what that would cost! More then a new Mach Z.....;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just like anything else, once carbon fiber components make the jump from one off at a time to mass production, the cost drops significantly. CF as good as it actually is, is still a overly hyped product. Once it becomes more commonplace, just being CF won’t automatically make it exponentially more expensive.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who is they? Was it a big four manufacturer and was it mass produced available to any customer?

·
Registered
89 Posts
They already made a complete mountain sled out of carbon fiber, your late to the party bud!
An OEM, or are you talking someone like BDX? Of course aftermarket will bring that type of offering sooner than anyone else .... their target audience is willing to spend big coin.

·
Registered
923 Posts
An OEM, or are you talking someone like BDX? Of course aftermarket will bring that type of offering sooner than anyone else .... their target audience is willing to spend big coin.
C3 did years ago already and you said " before CF tunnel technology is." never said anything about a big manufacturer. You want a picture it ain't hard to find

·
Registered
89 Posts
C3 did years ago already and you said " before CF tunnel technology is." never said anything about a big manufacturer. You want a picture it ain't hard to find
You got me ... I guess I should have clarified by saying OEM vs. aftermarket. You win!! LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts