Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at a forum about a new Swedish sled that had a neat feature... a suspension seat.
Reminds me of my longtime wish for one of the big 4 to make a sled that's built specifically for jumping/freestyle.
The new Phazer FX is a nice start but underpowered and over-weight, and the Ski-doo Freestyle is basically a kids sled.
In my opinion Cat's new firecats are a move away from a true ditchbanger, and more of a compromise with a trail sled.
the ski-doo XPS is probably the closest thing to what i'm talking about.... but way too expensive.

I know alot of you will just say "why not just buy a 440 race sled"...well because that';s not really what i want.
I want the big 4 to consider making a sled that has a reliable engine (not a race motor), with great suspension, as light as possible, but still tough, and without any extra fluff (fancy plastic, elec start, reverse, gauges, etc) that just adds weight and $$$. because if it costs too much no one's gonna want to bash it anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has thought the same thing? Agree/disagree?

or maybe you have your own idea of what the perfect freestlye sled is! please share

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
that would be great if you never left your yard and all you did was jump it. most of us do a little more than jump 50 foot air and pretend to be freestylists. no bashing intended if it sounds that way, just trying to make a point. the guys who do that stuff mod there sled for such riding styles.

·
Registered
384 Posts
easiest way to get a reliable jumper is to buy a race sled, either a rolling chassis or a complete and swap in a consumer 6/7/800 with electronics and a bigger cooler if you ride in low snow conditions and you have a sled thats tough and fun. just expect to put some hours and coin into it to get it runnin right

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you guys. a race chassis with a stock 600/800cc twin is definately the best answer right now, even tho those chassis are made for racing and not exactly "perfect" for jumps/tricks...

I was just stating that I'd like to see what a sled maker could come up with if they actually devoted some R&D to building an actual freestyle sled. And yes, i know it's totally impractical, probably unprofitable and it'll never happen haha...but we can dream can't we?

What do you think they'd come up with?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm confused. You want a race sled with a bigger engine, and agree that putting a 600/800 into a 440 chassis would be awsome. However, you think the XRS (not the XPS like you have typed) is too expensive?

Bombardier pretty much did exactly what you are looking for when they created the XRS. I've had to install two additional braces from stock to make the chassis the same as the 440 (except for one small under the engine that I didn't bother with because it's pretty thin).

I think what you are asking for is going to cost you money. Ask somebody who has purchased a 440 and converted the engine to a 600 or 800, and see how much money they are in by the time they are completed, and don't forget, you have to put some $$$$ on the time it takes to do as well! The XRS is not out to lunch.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Let me throw this one out. You are looking for a "SUPER-RAW" chassis. Or atleast thats what Polaris would call it. I think it would be interesting to see a manufacturer make a sled that needs to be finished. Like you said, include the basics, but nothing else. No gauges, unfinished seat, no hand warmers, no-lights, no tool caddies, no dash trim, etc. Essentially what you want is a chassis, motor, and hood. I think a manufacturer could market that as here is the start, add your own chit if you want. Of course this comes with a big enough motor and chassis set up for jumping. Now, the problem is, the suspension components on something ready to take big air are pretty spendy in and of themselves. I think it would be cool, but I dont know how cheap you could build them for and be durable enough.

·
Registered
384 Posts
In Canada straight off the doo web page the msrp for an xrs 800 is around or a little over $16,000. i know that dealers sell them for less but man that is a hard one to swallow spending that much on a sled that is gonna be flattened in a few seasons. i think i have around $8000 in my sled probably less. ive done alot of the motor swap my self (wasnt that hard).

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ok heres my take...
do mx bike companies build specific fmx bikes? no, they too buy a regular bike and modify it to suit their needs. There are wayyy more true freestyle moto riders then sledders so i dont see the snowmobile manuf.'s wasting their time trying to build sleds just for freestylers. It wont happen, but atleast you can just buy a race sled rolling chassis and build it to suit your needs. Also theres no chance that a freestyle only sled would cost any less then a race or consumer sled, if you want quality you have to pay the price for it...
Ok look at the phazer for example, yeah it inexpensive but once u set it up properly for true freestyle riding you will end up spending 10g anyways

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I was just looking at a forum about a new Swedish sled that had a neat feature... a suspension seat.
Reminds me of my longtime wish for one of the big 4 to make a sled that's built specifically for jumping/freestyle.
The new Phazer FX is a nice start but underpowered and over-weight, and the Ski-doo Freestyle is basically a kids sled.
In my opinion Cat's new firecats are a move away from a true ditchbanger, and more of a compromise with a trail sled.
the ski-doo XPS is probably the closest thing to what i'm talking about.... but way too expensive.

I know alot of you will just say "why not just buy a 440 race sled"...well because that';s not really what i want.
I want the big 4 to consider making a sled that has a reliable engine (not a race motor), with great suspension, as light as possible, but still tough, and without any extra fluff (fancy plastic, elec start, reverse, gauges, etc) that just adds weight and $$$. because if it costs too much no one's gonna want to bash it anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has thought the same thing? Agree/disagree?

or maybe you have your own idea of what the perfect freestlye sled is! please share[/b]
as far as a ditch bangin machine goes I love my ZL, but a ZR would have better suspension, dirt cheap, no dumb features, somewhat light, good power :m2c:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me throw this one out. You are looking for a "SUPER-RAW" chassis. Or atleast thats what Polaris would call it. I think it would be interesting to see a manufacturer make a sled that needs to be finished. Like you said, include the basics, but nothing else. No gauges, unfinished seat, no hand warmers, no-lights, no tool caddies, no dash trim, etc. Essentially what you want is a chassis, motor, and hood. I think a manufacturer could market that as here is the start, add your own chit if you want. Of course this comes with a big enough motor and chassis set up for jumping. Now, the problem is, the suspension components on something ready to take big air are pretty spendy in and of themselves. I think it would be cool, but I dont know how cheap you could build them for and be durable enough.[/b]

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking about. Start out as basic as possible... then build it your way.

Oh and yeah , I'll say it again... I know that there's no way that the manuf's would actually build something like that, the market wouldn't be there. So this thread has now turned into more of a "IF they built it, what would it be like?"

Personally, i think I'd like that Phazer FX chassis... only with a super lightweight 4-stroke, or a 600cc 2-stroke in there.

What would your dream freestyler be?

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Phazer chassis is definatly a step in the right direction. be sweet with a vector motor, a chromoly or alum tube front end, fox floats, and a bare minimum in accesories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts