Hardcore Sledder banner

who think the RX-1 is over rated

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  dave cat 7 
#1 ·
i think that because it's soo funcky lookin that people think it's a fast sled. well it's not. in my opinion i have heard no stories of and RX-1 beating an F-7
who agrees?

#4 ·
THE RX1 IS NO WAY OVERRATED 145+HP FOR A 4STROKE
SLED AND FOR US TO EVEN BE TAKING ABOUT IT
KEEPING CLOSE TO THE F7 IS IMPRESSIVE FOR A
SLED OF THAT WEIGHT AND IF THE TREE HUGGERS
HAVE THEIR WAY 4 STOKE WILL BE ALL YOU CAN RIDE
IN THE NEAR FUTURE

#5 ·
I think it has a lot of potential , better than I could have hoped for I am afraid that when they get it figered out we will pay hell trying to keep up. Look what we have for a four stroke Now thats a joke I know some good wrenches working on that sled & are telling me it is going to go & there not BS,ers Funny thing not all of these guys are Yamaha people some are cat people Who hold world 1/4 mi 660 drag records .They bought them just to see what the compation has to offer & claim it can be made to run at the head of the pack.. Not on trails or ditches watch out on the lakes Remember keep a open mind when you kick there a&ss because the time will com when we will need a F8 or F9 to do it I know I didnt make any friends saying this but I always try to be fair.I have pro raced 20--25years now retired & have seen poor sleds win & fast sleds loose I,m60 now and try to call it fair. Any one that reads my hits knows I am all cat with our 2 F7s we will kick anybodies a&ss till they beat us ha ha

#6 ·
I definately do not think it is over rated. I own one along with 2 f-7's and we've ran them more than once.. in snow,.. for about 400-500 '. I know 400-5--' isn't much but thats all the field we had available.,,I wont say the the RX1 beats the f-7 but it gives it a heck of a run for an over weight 4 stroke. It is definately something for Yamaha to be proud of.. considering that dont have anything else. Agree with you guys.. a trail masher it is NOT. But I guess you could compare it like a Harley (or cruiser style bike) to a crotch rocket. The cruiser doesn't win many drags but it's a different style in which people want to ride. Everyone can't have the fastest sled..... B)

#7 ·
It brings something different to the sport, One other option for the masses to choose from. I personally believe the future of the sport though still lies in 2 strokes engines. Namely direct injection engines. Doo allready has a semi direct injection that has outstanding emisions results, ALL of the big four have rights to some type of direct injection technology, The four stroke has a place in the market but I don't think it is the savior of our sport..

#8 ·
IT IS THE MOST OVER RATED SLED EVER, REMBER LAST YEAR WHEN THE VIPER CAME OUT THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE SLED TO HAVE, NOT SO, BUT IT IS A NICE SLEDIT WAS JUST HYPE , JUST THE SAME FOR THE RX1. IN TERMS OF POTENTIAL LOOK AT A ZRT800. XCR800, NOW THOSE SLEDS HAVE A TON MORE POTENTIAL THAN THE YAMAHYPE. AND I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST YAMAHA. I HAVE A FZR 600 AND WILL GET AN R6 IN THE SPRING. AS FOR THE RX1 GETTING SNOWMOBILE OPF THE YEAR IN SNOWGOER, I THINK THEY JUMPED THE GUN BECAUSE THEY WERE ALSO VICTUMS OF THE YAMAHYPE. i CAN'T WAIT TO PASS ONE ON THE TRAIL AND EVEN THE LAKE THIS SEASON ON MY F7.

P.S. IT IS STILL A GOOD SLED THAT I WOULD LIKE TO RIDE AT SOME TIME, BUT THE RX1 IS NOT FOR ME.

#9 ·
:lol: You guys are proud of a 1000cc sled that can keep us to a 700cc sled. WOW!!! I'll tell you what, when
they can make a 4-stroke that can keep up to a 2-stroke of the same size and not be 100lbs heavier, let
me know. TILL THEN THERE IS NO NEED TO COMPARE!!!! VERY OVERATED TREE HUGGER SLED!!!!

#10 ·
:angry: As for being snowmobile of the year..... the same magazine(.goer) rated it behind the ZR900
in a one on one shootout. So I guess that makes the ZR9 SNOWMOBILE OF THE YEAR!!!

.goer should be called, Yammie LOVERS magazine!!!!

#13 ·
Originally posted by F-5 sno-pro@Dec 13 2002, 11:55 PM
i think that because it's soo funcky lookin that people think it's a fast sled. well it's not. in my opinion i have heard no stories of and RX-1 beating an F-7
who agrees?
It is a given. The RX-ton is slow and heavy. Yamaha should have tweaked it and waited another year to release.

Cats 4-stroke will smoke the RX-ton.

#14 ·
Is the Yamalaris RX1 not a four banger 1000cc sled, and I believe I have a 2 cylinder 700cc Firecat in my garage. Is there a comparison between the two I don't think so.

How can you compare apples to apples in this instance. Its more like a tank(RX1) to a Jeep(F7) on the battlefield. lol

To tell you the truth I am sticking with my F7

Cya
F7Firecat :) :)

#15 ·
The Cat four stroke was done mostly for political reasons. Show some congressmen that it is clean and quiet, even take them for a ride through Yellowstone. Putting some Senator on a very high performance sled would have been a horrible move. We would have all kinds of new regulations, from national speed limits to God knows what not to mention a bunch of useless old farts in DC thinking we're all a bunch of nuts that need to be controlled; the scary thing being they have the power to control us. The RX1 is an outstanding first step into the high performance end of snowmobiling for four strokes. I've heard all the two stoke vs four stroke arguments before when they began changing streetbikes from twos :D to fours. Look at the incredible four stroke rockets on the roads these days. Dirt bikes are experiencing a similar evolution. I believe clean two strokes will power the majority of future snowmobiles. There will be fours available too, and they'll be lighter and faster than any fours on the drawing board now. None of this is a bad thing. I also believe when Cat gets its high-perf four stoke on the market, it'll destroy the RX1. The big Suzuki fours are stronger motors than the Yammis or anyone else's for that matter. Sorry Honda and Yammi fans.

Pat

#16 ·
I agree, it was as much a political as a technological move.
I think Direct Injection on 2 strokes will be the future, not 4 strokes. But, I give props to Yami for stepping out there with some new performance ideas.
Remember, Cat came out with the first 4 Stroker, so everyone is in the game.
It may fall by the wayside due to future 2 stroke combustion improvements, but for every sucessful technological advancement, there has to be a lot of trial and error. So keep it coming guys, and when it is all said and done, we will be the better for it.

Kevin

#23 ·
YES IT IS OVER RATED and this is why, not the power but is a TANK to handle in tight trails. Rode in the U.P. last week had a f7, zr900, and rx1.THE guy that had the rx1 just sold it for zr800 efi. rode rx1 80 miles and said it was a pile of junk!!! DEALER IN MI. JUST TOLD US HAD 3 PEOPLE BACK OUT OF SNOW CHECKS ON RX1 AND I SOLD MINE AFTER 5 MILES FOR ZR900.THIS THING IS A TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.