Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2003 Cat set the 2 cylinders big bore standard with the 900 motors. The bar was set so high that even today the competition has yet to catch up. For those of us who own a good running 900, we know that even the new Mach motor at approx 150cc's larger has all it can handle with this bullet proof Suzuki spinner. Yet I here talk like out dated and old. I understand all the reasons why, lay down design, new chassis, size etc, but the standard in the 700 class, the Firecat Lay down Engine is no youngster anymore either. My point is that "perception is reality" even if the facts say something different. With the price of a 700 reaching $10,000 dollars, :augen41: I have to wonder how long we can all afford to play the perception game?

I just bought a new 05 Yamaha FZ1 motorcycle and for $7,300 bucks the engineering, level of refinement and performance is light years ahead of the snowmobile product. In this market they primarily develop a performance engine package and then constantly refine around it to keep product interest and demand high. I can't help wonder if there is a lesson to be learned here somewhere? :cn:

Sorry for the spelling of Suzuki! :frech32:

·
Registered
696 Posts
The only thing that makes it old is the fact the it does not fit into the new chassis, great motor, as far as the bikes selling so much cheaper is the fact that market is 10 times(?) bigger.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Prices are not likely to fall based on low production numbers of snowmobiles and if we don't get a handle on our rising fuel costs the price of everything is going to rise! :doh:

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by sandbagger@Sep 4 2005, 11:47 AM
Prices are not likely to fall based on low production numbers of snowmobiles and if we don't get a handle on our rising fuel costs the price of everything is going to rise!  :doh:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=860530
[/quote]
:div20: truthfully spoken

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have always been amazed at the price versus quality/value between snowmobiles and motorcycles.

Who knows, maybe the ZR will get some rider forward position and a new hood design next year and then it won't be "outdated" anymore?!?

It is all perception anyways, gas is still cheap, it just sucks that the price has gone up $1.00.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you check out the new snow tech the king cat is matched up with a new 2006 polaris RMk on the dyno Peak numbers are close but everything below 7000 rpms the cat has a SIGNIFICANT advantange of 15-18 hp and 15-20 ft lbs of torque. If the 900 cat was compliant with the EPA it would be around alot longer. Not bad for a engine designed in 2000 as a 785cc punched to 900.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts