Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting back into sleds and want to support a company that uses as American made parts. I know Polaris doesn't make their own engines and Fuji makes some of their ATV engines. Just wondered who made their sled engines.

Arctic Cat uses Suzuki. Does Ski Doo build their own?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Polaris does in fact make their own engines... Liberty produced in Osceola Wisconsin. They still use a few Fuji motors... Indy 500, 550 fan and 340 fan. Their new four-stroke is a joint effort with German maker Weber.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Um actually Subaru builds a lot of engines for Polaris it was in their Escape magazine that Subaru had just made their 1 millionth engine for them. I think most of those engines are for the ATV's

·
Registered
835 Posts
Subaru is part of Fuji Heavy Industries. So, I guess Fuji actually makes Subaru? :dunno:

Ski-Doo motors are manufactured in Austria by Rotax.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Most of the Polaris Snowmobiles use Liberty Engines which are produced in the US.Polaris is the only domestic munufacture to use American made engines since the 1970s.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
All of the Liberty snowmobile engines are designed and engineered right in Roseau, MN. A select few of the ATV engines are also built by Polaris with the design taking place in both Roseau and Osceola. All of the engines are assembled in Osceola but the parts are casted by a different company, which I assume is also in the USA. Once the engines are assembled they are shipped back to Roseau where the rest of the sled is built. Polaris makes A lot of the parts themselves. Probably more so than any other sled manufacturer.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
FWIW, having worked at polaris franchise in service and being responsible for ordering my own parts for repairs performed, ALL POLARIS ENGINES INCLUDING THE "PRECIOUS" LIBERTY SERIES CONSIST OF STRICTLY FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES COMPONENTS,,,,,,believe what you want, but it is all fact^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Originally posted by C-NOTEPLUSf503@Aug 31 2005, 08:19 PM
FWIW, having worked at polaris franchise in service and being responsible for ordering my own parts for repairs performed, ALL POLARIS ENGINES INCLUDING THE "PRECIOUS" LIBERTY SERIES CONSIST OF STRICTLY FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES COMPONENTS,,,,,,believe what you want, but it is all fact^^^^^^^^
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=855870
[/quote]

What components are you talking about? Most electronic components come from overseas, as well as a few other things, but the Liberty engines are designed and built right here. A piston may come from here, a crankshaft from there, but all the parts are made according to Polaris spec and the fact remains they are designed and assembled here in the USA.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,145 Posts
[/quote]

NOT TRUE!

When you ordered these parts, did you use a special FUJI part number, or did they all come in FUJI boxes, or was it because you thought Austria was a FUJI production facility?

FUJI engine parts are frequently labeled as ROBIN

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by ExcursionPSD@Sep 1 2005, 04:56 AM
NOT TRUE!

When you ordered these parts, did you use a special FUJI part number, or did they all come in FUJI boxes, or was it because you thought Austria was a FUJI production facility?

FUJI engine parts are frequently labeled as  ROBIN
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856304
[/quote]
in past experiences, all parts boxes with ROBIN stickers have been actually FUJI boxes, it's kind of hard to put them FUJI parts boxes in between ROBIN parts and ROBIN sticker labels without tearing the labels if you know what i mean,,,,, :smilielol: :smilielol: :wut60:

·
Registered
951 Posts
[/quote]

C-Note, Largely true. A friend runs the production as we speak of Polaris injection and plastic moldiing of coolant bottles, tanks, hoods etc. One of my neighbors accounts is the Osceola location, the engine parts arrive by the truckload from overseas..... so the machines are 'American Assembled'. My father-in-law spent 1 year on a business practices exchange trip to Japan when he was area Governor for Rotary International, the trucks run around the clock from the city of Kawasaki(Heavy Ind), Fuji, Mitsubishi, Suzuki. Even that Fuji labeled part likely had some process performed by one of the others.

·
Banned
10,423 Posts
Originally posted by hugh@Sep 1 2005, 10:48 AM
C-Note, Largely true.  A friend runs the production as we speak of Polaris injection and plastic moldiing of coolant bottles, tanks, hoods etc.  One of my neighbors accounts is the Osceola location, the engine parts arrive by the truckload from overseas..... so the machines are 'American Assembled'.  My father-in-law spent 1 year on a business practices exchange trip to Japan when he was area Governor for Rotary International, the trucks run around the clock from the city of Kawasaki(Heavy Ind), Fuji, Mitsubishi, Suzuki.  Even that Fuji labeled part likely had some process performed by one of the others.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=856696
[/quote]
thanks hugh, finally someone that knows the truth :div20:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Originally posted by bogboypb@Aug 31 2005, 09:48 AM
Polaris does in fact make their own engines... Liberty produced in Osceola Wisconsin. They still use a few Fuji motors... Indy 500, 550 fan and 340 fan. Their new four-stroke is a joint effort with German maker Weber.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=854702
[/quote]
POO sends the money and WEBER sends the completed engine assembly.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
What is your defenition of "American Made"? The engines are designed, developed, and tested in the USA. Parts are cast in the USA. Other parts are shipped in from overseas (made from spec) but none the less, they are all assembled in...again.. the USA. I'd say if an engine is designed, developed, tested, and assembled in the USA it is "Made in the USA".

·
Registered
951 Posts
Originally posted by sr_erick@Sep 1 2005, 04:02 PM
What is your defenition of "American Made"?
The engines are designed, developed, and tested in the USA.
So is Suzuki if you count engineers flying over to design, ride and work with the TRF crew.

Parts are cast in the USA.[/b]
About 6% is the number bantered about.

Other parts are shipped in from overseas (made from spec) but none the less, they are all assembled in...again.. the USA.[/b]
The point we were talking about, 'assembled'. Cheaper to buy than tool up.

I'd say if an engine is designed, developed, tested, and assembled in the USA it is "Made in the USA".[/b]
Pretty thin but, O.K.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=857287
[/b][/quote]

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,145 Posts
[/quote]
I grabbed the first four obvious motor parts I could find, off the shelf, please take a look at the box, 2202838 are stock almost everywhere....

2201283 Piston Complete Victory motorcycles
Made in Austria

2202337 Piston Complet 85,0 mm '03-05 800 VES
Made in Austria

2202838 Stainless Steel Guillotine for 800 VES
country of origin: United States.

2202468 Kit - Water Pump Cover Frontier
country of origin: United States

Parts for the Fuji motors, of course come from Fuji.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts