Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
At 6ft. It works ok for me. I’d prefer another inch of rise. Same on axys xcr. That’s when totally standing or unloading off a drop or bigger hits. when in a crouched attack posture it’s fine.
. FYI, the assault riser is 7/8” taller than the ones on the Vr1 or XCR Incase your looking.

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
391 Posts
I have an '18 Viper and and an AXYS. Seating position is a huge difference as stated. At 6'5" the knees are very bent on the Viper and its really not a standing machine. The AXYS sits much higher and with an adjustable riser is great for standing. It's kind of like 4-wheeler vs. dirt bike.

Viper much warmer though. The 4s throws off a lot of heat at your feet and in the goggle bag up top.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I do miss the heat generated from the 4stroke ZR7000 footwell and standard heated seat. Although I have only been able to ride my VR1 650 2 times last season, both times I experienced motion-sickness. Not sure why, but hoping that was a fluke thing or I will be back riding my ZR7000.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I do miss the heat generated from the 4stroke ZR7000 footwell and standard heated seat. Although I have only been able to ride my VR1 650 2 times last season, both times I experienced motion-sickness. Not sure why, but hoping that was a fluke thing or I will be back riding my ZR7000.
Thats very interesting. I thought I was crazy, so I never told anyone lol! I experienced something like that and thought it was a hangover until I realized I hadn't drank the night before. I think it's because the sled moves around a lot more than the cats. I got used to it really quick and never had that feeling again.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The procross is the worst current chassis from transitioning from sitting to standing, and riding standing kills your legs. The Polaris axys/matryx is so much better makes it so easy to stand and ride standing, also way better running boards, the procross boards are so bad. As far as rear suspension, arctic cat still uses falling rate rear skid design, shocks get softer as suspension compresses. Ski doo and polaris have had progressive rear suspension for years now

How about standing up through the bumps? I know a lot of people talk about sitting on the sleds in this thread... I have a 2016 Cat RXC and suspension wise, it handles and soaks up all the bumps I can throw at it. Cornering when I sit down it's great as people have said too...
For me being 6'2, my back would hurt a little bit after 100+ miles of chop/bumps up in the Vermont, so this year I added a riser (1" taller than stock). Watching some videos of people riding the Matryx, they look very comfortable standing wise.

·
Registered
355 Posts
How about standing up through the bumps? I know a lot of people talk about sitting on the sleds in this thread... I have a 2016 Cat RXC and suspension wise, it handles and soaks up all the bumps I can throw at it. Cornering when I sit down it's great as people have said too...
For me being 6'2, my back would hurt a little bit after 100+ miles of chop/bumps up in the Vermont, so this year I added a riser (1" taller than stock). Watching some videos of people riding the Matryx, they look very comfortable standing wise.
Not to get off topic but what riser did you use? Was thinking about doing that also. Any issues with cable clearance? Was thinking a seat concepts seat and a riser would address the seating issues I have on the procross. I have no issues with the suspension, just wish the seating position was addressed.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I came off a 2018 6000RXC which I put 7000 miles on.
I went to a 2021 650 VR1 which I have 4400 miles on.

The Cat was superior in the tight woods. Nothing handles like a 6000RXC. Nothing. Stay planted and is HIGHLY predictable. It takes a little more effort in the shoulders to hold your line in choppy conditions, but the front end of that sled is amazing. You are sitting really low to the ground though, which has a lot to do with it. Nothing or nobody can keep up with me on a 6000RXC on most trails - except maybe a better rider on another 6000RXC. BUT - there's a price you pay for that awesome handling, and its in Cat's poor rear suspension. I think that slide action rear skid came out during the Clinton administration!!!
As mentioned by others, the Cat has a better headlight. I'd also like to add the Cat has a better raspy sound to it - but the 6000RXC also has a lightweight "race" exhaust on it from the factory which makes it one of the best sounding factory sleds ever sold.

Other than that, every single thing about the Matryx - and the VR1 - is far superior. Refinement, NVH or lack of, electronics, rider ergo, fuel economy, power, storage and accessories, and so on. It all goes to Polaris and by a wide margin.

After 300+ mile days, I feel way less fatigue on my VR1 and at the same time I'm not getting any younger either. That's probably the biggest compliment you can give to the Matryx. I ride big mileage days all the time throughout the winter and the Polaris just does it so effortlessly with its ideal weight, balance, linear powerband and good suspension.

Both sleds have been bulletproof reliable for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts

The Cat was superior in the tight woods. Nothing handles like a 6000RXC. Nothing. Stay planted and is HIGHLY predictable. It takes a little more effort in the shoulders to hold your line in choppy conditions, but the front end of that sled is amazing. You are sitting really low to the ground though, which has a lot to do with it. Nothing or nobody can keep up with me on a 6000RXC on most trails - except maybe a better rider on another 6000RXC. BUT - there's a price you pay for that awesome handling, and its in Cat's poor rear suspension. I think that slide action rear skid came out during the Clinton administration!!!
As mentioned by others, the Cat has a better headlight. I'd also like to add the Cat has a better raspy sound to it - but the 6000RXC also has a lightweight "race" exhaust on it from the factory which makes it one of the best sounding factory sleds ever sold.

Other than that, every single thing about the Matryx - and the VR1 - is far superior. Refinement, NVH or lack of, electronics, rider ergo, fuel economy, power, storage and accessories, and so on. It all goes to Polaris and by a wide margin.

After 300+ mile days, I feel way less fatigue on my VR1 and at the same time I'm not getting any younger either. That's probably the biggest compliment you can give to the Matryx. I ride big mileage days all the time throughout the winter and the Polaris just does it so effortlessly with its ideal weight, balance, linear powerband and good suspension.

How does the oil consumption compare between these two sleds?

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,192 Posts
These Matryx sleds are factory equipped with the 5143421 Riser, 85mm height:
All Matryx Switchback Assault, Switchback XC, Nordic Pro and Voyageur.

The other Matryx flatland sleds are factory equipped with the 5143049 Riser, 60mm height.
. These Matryx flatland sleds can be equipped with the 5143421 Riser 85mm, with inspection and adjustment of the routing and fastening of the Throttle Cable and Brake Lines.

·
Registered
827 Posts

I went from AC Procross' since 2012 to a 2022 Matyrx 8 last year ..... I ordered a 2023 6K X-CR for next year so I'll have the best of both worlds !!!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
How does the oil consumption compare between these two sleds?
For me, Neither one of them will make it too far beyond 300 miles without the oil light starting to flicker. So pretty equal mileage wise….the Polaris is probably 10% better if I were to put a half educated guess on it. I wish I could do 400 without even thinking about oil but that’s not the case. It’ll be interesting to see what my new 850 will do.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
For me, Neither one of them will make it too far beyond 300 miles without the oil light starting to flicker. So pretty equal mileage wise….the Polaris is probably 10% better if I were to put a half educated guess on it. I wish I could do 400 without even thinking about oil but that’s not the case. It’ll be interesting to see what my new 850 will do.
my experience the last 3 seasons...850 patriot low oil light come on around 300-325 miles depending on conditions. I did notice when running very hard my polaris uses much less oil and a bit better on fuel than my riding buddies 850 etec. Both 2022's.

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,160 Posts
Are we talking the low oil light starts to flicker or solid on?

I top off oil every morning. Always have. If I need oil during the day I'm racking up some serious miles. Or my buddy left the oil cap off! That was fun lol

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Are we talking the low oil light starts to flicker or solid on?

I top off oil every morning. Always have. If I need oil during the day I'm racking up some serious miles. Or my buddy left the oil cap off! That was fun lol
I was talking about the low light flicker. I haven't pushed my Polaris too hard in regards to low oil as I've always had some on hand when in that situation.
On my Cat, one time it started the flicker and I had to ride an additional 90 miles after that. At about 60 miles after flicker it went solid ON for the last 30 miles, and it did it without running out. (Well - at least I don't think it ran out as the sled continued to run!)

·
Premium Member
23 650 Adventure, 22 850 Assault, 21 XC 650 137
4,160 Posts
If it's a flicker yeah you can go quite aways before the light is on constantly. I've pushed it on overnight bag trips. If you carry two extra quarts you're talking 500 miles of trail riding. That's pretty damn good I'd say.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
If it's a flicker yeah you can go quite aways before the light is on constantly. I've pushed it on overnight bag trips. If you carry two extra quarts you're talking 500 miles of trail riding. That's pretty damn good I'd say.
I have 2 extra quarts under the seat at all times (did not buy the over priced accessory oil caddy)....never know when ya might need them....or able to bail someone else out of a jam.

·
Registered
21,309 Posts
I have been riding a 2020 axys Indy 800 the last couple seasons since my ctech 800 is always broken. The wind protection, cooling system, build quailty, bag system, controls, dash are light years a head of the procross. The 800 Polaris is a lot smoother, clutching is better, does not have erratic idle, seems to respond better down but has a huge 2 stroke hit about 70mph where the cat doesn’t. I don’t think the Polaris 800 is really that much faster than the cat, it just feels that way. My cat has not ran long enough to race the Polaris to actually compare. The ride position is similar to my older sno pro racer. You sit up higher on the Polaris. Handling wise it is kind of a wash as most people won’t be able to out ride the suspension. They are similar once you monkey with the settings and get the sled dialed in. The Polaris is lighter on the skis compared to the cat and has better weight transfer. I would buy another Polaris over anything cat is selling today. I have had 12 cats in the last 14 years. Probably won’t own another one. I am sure the improvements on the maytrix make the Polaris even better.
Jim would not approve of this message

21 - 40 of 78 Posts