Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has made the change from Cat’s ProCross to the Matryx. Please share your thoughts and experience. Ride, handling, 800 vs 850, etc….

Thanks for your help !!

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Who here has made the change from Cat’s ProCross to the Matryx. Please share your thoughts and experience. Ride, handling, 800 vs 850, etc….

Thanks for your help !!
have owned several procross all different motors...then went to axys, and then matryx.

If I hop on a procross now it just feels old... biggest thing for me is low seat height, legs too bent, dated dash. They still handle good on flat trails...but the seating position now feels terrible to me after getting used to axys/matryx.

Polairs 850 feels and is much stronger than 800 ctec. Ctec feels buzy and underpowered to me.... now a boosted 998 still has some fun factor...but not enough for me to go back to one.

·
Registered
929 Posts
have owned several procross all different motors...then went to axys, and then matryx.

If I hop on a procross now it just feels old... biggest thing for me is low seat height, legs too bent, dated dash. They still handle good on flat trails...but the seating position now feels terrible to me after getting used to axys/matryx.

Polairs 850 feels and is much stronger than 800 ctec. Ctec feels buzy and underpowered to me.... now a boosted 998 still has some fun factor...but not enough for me to go back to one.
I can agree with these points completely. I think the matryx handles better than the procross hands down. The slimmer cockpit and slightly taller seating position are a huge improvement. Nothing "wrong" with the procross, it's just outdated IMO. The 850 pulls harder and runs stronger all around.

·
Registered
2022 850 XCR 136 1.6 7S
1,202 Posts
I can agree with these points completely. I think the matryx handles better than the procross hands down. The slimmer cockpit and slightly taller seating position are a huge improvement. Nothing "wrong" with the procross, it's just outdated IMO. The 850 pulls harder and runs stronger all around.
X2

Procross to Axys to Matryx for me as well, agree with all points mentioned.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i've had an axys pro-xc, pro-cross viper, pro-cross rxc, pro-cross rs, axys pro-cc, matryx pro-cc...i'm 6'3" @ 195 and the axys pro-cc fits me best. the only benefit to the matryx imo is the aero package. the pro-cross feels like sitting on a zx chassis doo...🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XC 850 SwitchBack 146
1,948 Posts
I had 3 Pro Crosses, '12 XF 8000, '15 ZR RR 6000 & '16 XF 8000. Then went to the '19 XC Axys 850 then a '22 XC SB Matryx 850.
I agree with above statements, the 850 engine alone is enough to keep me here. New XCR 850 is SC'd, but I'm looking closely at what Cats supposedly releasing for the '24 version.......... TBD I guess.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
No comparison. Ive owned pro cross sleds. They are more similar to a Polaris IQ chassis then a Matryx.
A guy along the trail last winter had a 2020 procross 800 and asked if my sled was a Matryx, I told him no it’s just an Axys Assault 850. He drove it, loved it said he’s getting one. I drove his procross, heavy front end, plowed into the corners and the 800 felt like a 600 in comparison to the 850. Only good thing I could say about his procross is there was no inside ski lift.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris Indy Matryx 850 VR1 137
206 Posts
I went from Yamaha Viper (Procross Chassis) to the Matryx last year. Couldn't go back, handling is far superior on the Matryx, I will say the Procross chassis was a bit warmer to ride vs the Matryx but I got used to it. Also the way you sit on the Matryx and roll through turns is much more fluent and easy to do than on the Procross. Just what I noticed last season on my new sled.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I've owned 29 new Cats including several ProCross sleds since the 2012 introduction.
Frankly, I am glad I made the change. I have yet to meet anyone that previously owned a Cat regret their Matryx purchase. The Pro-Cat folks that will chime in have zero real experience with the Matryx.

Just like anything, a new chassis takes some time to get used to. After a couple hundred miles, and some time dialing in the chassis, the Matryx is an amazing platform. The seating position, response to body english, transition to standing, ride, gauges, clutching, & economy are vastly superior to the Procross. However, I do have some criticisms of the Matryx:

1. Initial Quality- the initial quality of my sled was embarrassing. Initial Calibration, 7S gauge issues, and my VR-1 stranding me on a heavy slush covered lake when the coolant hose blew really gave me a poor first impression. I have since sorted out the initial issues, and have run it 1800 miles since then trouble free. The Matryx is a well engineered sled. But initial quality was very poor.

2. Inside Ski lift. I'm sorry, but a well set up Procross corners flatter than the Matryx. Center of gravity has much to do with it.... You sit up really high on the Matryx.

3. Warmth. My wife still rides a ZR8000. Side by side, switching back and forth, we both agree that the Procross even with the LXR windshield is MUCH warmer on a below zero day. The Matryx windshield sits way too forward of me to provide the same level of protection that a windshield on the Procross does. I especially notice on my chest and hands. I have to dress differently on my Matryx versus on the Procross.

4. Cat's LED headlight is FAR superior side by side to the Matryx Nightblade headlight. The Nightblade provides a center hot spot, but terrible peripheral vision. I notice this the most when riding down my lake and looking for my exit from the lake along the shoreline.

5. Handlebar height- Once I added a Powermadd riser to my Matryx, I was very happy with the height. My ZR6000 Roger Skime was about perfect right out of the crate.

I am sure I can think of more. I'll post them when I do. BUT, the Matryx is a fantastic ride, and I do not regret making the transition from Cat to Polaris.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
No comparison. Ive owned pro cross sleds. They are more similar to a Polaris IQ chassis then a Matryx.
A guy along the trail last winter had a 2020 procross 800 and asked if my sled was a Matryx, I told him no it’s just an Axys Assault 850. He drove it, loved it said he’s getting one. I drove his procross, heavy front end, plowed into the corners and the 800 felt like a 600 in comparison to the 850. Only good thing I could say about his procross is there was no inside ski lift.
I haven't ridden a matrix but I'd agree with you the seating position on a procross is similar to an IQ. That's my biggest complaint about the procross and I'm going to try a seat concepts seat this season to try to improve that.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Procross yamaha viper to Matryx 850 assault. I don’t have anything legit to knock the procross as it served it’s time well and the viper being a heavier machine. I enjoyed the time I owed it. After riding the Matryx it just is so much more fun to ride in the way of rider input and sled response to it. It’s tireless to drive all day long and Handels with so much confidence. And just the power to weight ratio is so nice. Very stable and balanced and just much more fun to ride. Hard to believe the jump in performance and rider experience.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris 850 SBA
278 Posts
Went from a 2015 ZR8000RR to a 2022 SBA 850. Loved the procross sled but this new matryx is next level. Rider input alone sold me. Not to mention that 850 pulls really hard! Anyone switching will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i switched from a zr800 to the 850 xc and agree with the other posts it was a good change.my complaint is the controls on the matryx, i dont like the high beam switch or handle bar heater switch to hard to deal with when wearing gloves.
another plus is there are dealers around me where i can get parts,thats what drove me away from cats

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Pretty much the same as others. I owned 4 or 5 Pro Cross sleds and really enjoyed them all. I think we can nitpick any sled so I'm not going to do that. I will say the biggest difference for me was the weight of the sled. Matyrx is night and day lighter feeling and much more playful. While the cat is definitely planted in corners, the Matyrx with some adjustments isn't far off. It's just all around much more refined to the point I can't go back to a procross ever again. It was refreshing to say the least.

Let's see if cats new sled closes the gap! Competition is good!

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat ZR6000 RXC - F You Polaris - 1979 Yamaha Enticer 340
45 Posts
How about standing up through the bumps? I know a lot of people talk about sitting on the sleds in this thread... I have a 2016 Cat RXC and suspension wise, it handles and soaks up all the bumps I can throw at it. Cornering when I sit down it's great as people have said too...
For me being 6'2, my back would hurt a little bit after 100+ miles of chop/bumps up in the Vermont, so this year I added a riser (1" taller than stock). Watching some videos of people riding the Matryx, they look very comfortable standing wise.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
At 6ft. It works ok for me. I’d prefer another inch of rise. Same on axys xcr. That’s when totally standing or unloading off a drop or bigger hits. when in a crouched attack posture it’s fine.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
How about standing up through the bumps? I know a lot of people talk about sitting on the sleds in this thread... I have a 2016 Cat RXC and suspension wise, it handles and soaks up all the bumps I can throw at it. Cornering when I sit down it's great as people have said too...
For me being 6'2, my back would hurt a little bit after 100+ miles of chop/bumps up in the Vermont, so this year I added a riser (1" taller than stock). Watching some videos of people riding the Matryx, they look very comfortable standing wise.
I rarely sit much anymore (mostly because my back will get sore) especially on any type of rough trail. I too had a few Rxc's and you're right, that was one of if not the best handling rough (2-3' moguls with 4' hole) trail sled I ever rode but you had to be pounding on it for it to shine! Anyway, I found standing with the matryx more comfortable than the procross by a little bit. Now I'm talking stock bar height on both sleds. I'm on the shorter side 5'7" and they both feel good standing but the matryx is just a little more at home for me there.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts