Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got pulled over and read the riot act, in the end he said lucky you were not 5 minutes early or you may be heading to jail. I was wondering why three sleds and only two LEO's

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
We got pulled over and read the riot act, in the end he said lucky you were not 5 minutes early or you may be heading to jail. I was wondering why three sleds and only two LEO's[/b]
Ok, foundation??? Why pulled over?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Ok, foundation??? Why pulled over?[/b]
I saw alot of DNR today but they were just checking for trail permits

·
Registered
799 Posts
We got pulled over and read the riot act, in the end he said lucky you were not 5 minutes early or you may be heading to jail. I was wondering why three sleds and only two LEO's[/b]

Good thing I didn't go riding with you guys, I'm sure my heavy thumb throttle would of put your group over the edge and we all would of went to the slammer.

Any reason why the other three sleds went? You gotta be doing something pretty bad to go to jail now a days, at least I think so?

Did you guys make it all the way to Irons?

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, foundation??? Why pulled over?[/b]
We were headed north between Wolf lake and Irons on the RR grade, this RR grade is cuts through 90% state/federal land. Most areas are blocked for private and the trail is routed out and around, I am sure there are areas where the trails goes through private property.

Anyways we were riding in the ditch of the RR grade playing in the power, jumping the whoops having fun.

As we crossed 4 mile I could see a few sleds and people standing around a few hundred yards away, we continued playing until we got within ~75 yards and jumped back on the grade (groomed area) Two guys walked onto the trail (I an thinking someone may be hurt) then we seen hand held blue flashers and directions to pull over. So we did.

The one officer walked up and said “WHERE ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO BE RIDING THOSES SNOWMOBILES?” I am thinking (trick question?) before anyone of us said anything he asks again. My buddy and I looked at each other and then back at the officer. The officer then said “ I WILL TELL YOU WHERE, RIGHT HERE ON THE TRAIL, YOU WERE ON PRIVATE PROPERTY I COULD SEND YOU TO JAIL FOR THAT” “WHAT IF YOU HIT A STUMP, SOME WIRE, OR FELL OFF AND YOU BUDDY RAN YOU OVER? I am thinking it wouldn’t be the first time… We still have not even said a word. At this point I started to agree and nod my head, he then wanted to see our licenses, ran them checked out the registration #’s.

At this point he started to clam down and said “Lucky you didn’t come through 5 minutes early we just hauled the guy that was on that sled to jail for doing the same thing you were doing. But he was mouthier with me than you guys were” We still have not said a word or even taken off out helmets. After calling in our ID, he then goes on to say “I am letting you off without tickets for trespassing and reckless driving.” He then added “He can send us to jail for anything except not wearing a helmet or no trail permit”

I think not saying anything and leaving on our helmets may have helped out.

I have not found our plat boot to verify if that area is Private property yet, I assume it is. It was not posted “Stay on the Trail” or “PP” and I know it doesn’t need to be.

I saw alot of DNR today but they were just checking for trail permits[/b]
Heard there was a couple bad crashes in Wellston and the DNR was up there attending to them, we didn't see any.

Good thing I didn't go riding with you guys, I'm sure my heavy thumb throttle would of put your group over the edge and we all would of went to the slammer.

Any reason why the other three sleds went? You gotta be doing something pretty bad to go to jail now a days, at least I think so?

Did you guys make it all the way to Irons?[/b]
We only got 10 miles in and one the sleds broke down, after trying to fix it they decided to return home :mad: We continued to Irons - Bis Bass lake for lunch and picked out way back on federal roads to the Big Star lake area then trailed it back to Newaygo. Conditions were very good, there was less snow on the trails and more on the roads then that Tuesday we road. Tons of sleds out.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
We were headed north between Wolf lake and Irons on the RR grade, this RR grade is cuts through 90% state/federal land. Most areas are blocked for private and the trail is routed out and around, I am sure there are areas where the trails goes through private property.

Anyways we were riding in the ditch of the RR grade playing in the power, jumping the whoops having fun.

As we crossed 4 mile I could see a few sleds and people standing around a few hundred yards away, we continued playing until we got within ~75 yards and jumped back on the grade (groomed area) Two guys walked onto the trail (I an thinking someone may be hurt) then we seen hand held blue flashers and directions to pull over. So we did.

The one officer walked up and said “WHERE ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO BE RIDING THOSES SNOWMOBILES?” I am thinking (trick question?) before anyone of us said anything he asks again. My buddy and I looked at each other and then back at the officer. The officer then said “ I WILL TELL YOU WHERE, RIGHT HERE ON THE TRAIL, YOU WERE ON PRIVATE PROPERTY I COULD SEND YOU TO JAIL FOR THAT” “WHAT IF YOU HIT A STUMP, SOME WIRE, OR FELL OFF AND YOU BUDDY RAN YOU OVER? I am thinking it wouldn’t be the first time… We still have not even said a word. At this point I started to agree and nod my head, he then wanted to see our licenses, ran them checked out the registration #’s.

At this point he started to clam down and said “Lucky you didn’t come through 5 minutes early we just hauled the guy that was on that sled to jail for doing the same thing you were doing. But he was mouthier with me than you guys were” We still have not said a word or even taken off out helmets. After calling in our ID, he then goes on to say “I am letting you off without tickets for trespassing and reckless driving.” He then added “He can send us to jail for anything except not wearing a helmet or no trail permit”

I have not found our plat boot to verify if that area is Private property yet, I assume it is. It was not posted “Stay on the Trail” or “PP” and I know it doesn’t need to be.
Heard there was a couple bad crashes in Wellston and the DNR was up there attending to them, we didn't see any.
We only got 10 miles in and one the sleds broke down, after trying to fix it they decided to return home :mad: We continued to Irons - Bis Bass lake for lunch and picked out way back on federal roads to the Big Star lake area then trailed it back to Newaygo. Conditions were very good, there was less snow on the trails and more on the roads then that Tuesday we road. Tons of sleds out.[/b]
Thanks for the "rest of the story"....

Sounds like the guy was coming down pretty hard.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the "rest of the story"....

Sounds like the guy was coming down pretty hard.[/b]
There is more I know about this officer that I learned from a local but I don't feel it should be posted in a public forum. I really want to know about the guy that went to jail and hear his side. It would have been very easy to mouth back just glad I bit my tongue

·
Registered
640 Posts
the fuzz might have done you a favor..... my buddy nailed a stump in that section once riding off the trail f'd his sled and himself up......wanna ride off trail go to the u.p. and do it you guy's do that shit and then you wonder why the stuff get's closed.... STAY ON THE TRAIL....

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Heard there was a couple bad crashes in Wellston and the DNR was up there attending to them, we didn't see any.We only got 10 miles in and one the sleds broke down, after trying to fix it they decided to return home :mad: We continued to Irons - Bis Bass lake for lunch and picked out way back on federal roads to the Big Star lake area then trailed it back to Newaygo. Conditions were very good, there was less snow on the trails and more on the roads then that Tuesday we road. Tons of sleds out.[/b]
My brother passed the one accident on the Wellston trails, we heard it was a 13yr old girl that hit a tree, she died on the way to the hospital

G

·

We only got 10 miles in and one the sleds broke down, after trying to fix it they decided to return home :mad: We continued to Irons - Bis Bass lake for lunch and picked out way back on federal roads to the Big Star lake area then trailed it back to Newaygo. Conditions were very good, there was less snow on the trails and more on the roads then that Tuesday we road. Tons of sleds out.[/b]

Im almost sure that the state owns 25' from the center line of the railroad grade on each side. so if they allow snowmobiling down the rail grade then it should be legal to ride the side of it! we were just through there many times a couple of weeks ago. but Greg and i were to busy going 90 mph + down the grade to worry about ditch banging. we loved that grade north of wolf lake which is where we stayed.

We will be back in a couple of weeks!!!!!

trackstand

·
Registered
293 Posts
the fuzz might have done you a favor..... my buddy nailed a stump in that section once riding off the trail f'd his sled and himself up......wanna ride off trail go to the u.p. and do it you guy's do that shit and then you wonder why the stuff get's closed.... STAY ON THE TRAIL....[/b]
I ride orchard, cornfields, hayfields, beanfields....and every other place immaginable. Hitting a rock, hole, stump is par for the coarse. Normally it is nice to take it easy and be very careful on the first rides of the season. Most of the people I know do not ride strictly down the trail every ride they take....If that is the case....pave every trail, drive a one ton RX1, and put wheels on... When there is postings telling you....absolutely do as they say and in many cases use common sense at where you go on and off the trail. My sled overheats if all I do is stay on the trail....Most do with the lack of snow getting thrown up into the heat exchangers.
Seems to me that your post is one of anger and frustration toward fellow riders. If you are this angry about it....become a DNR and enforce it... I thought about becoming one a long time ago but making $30k a year in a high risk profession did not seem like the way to go. No reason to be snippy at your fellow sledders:) Have a Happy New Year!!!!

G

·
I ride orchard, cornfields, hayfields, beanfields....and every other place immaginable. Hitting a rock, hole, stump is par for the coarse. Normally it is nice to take it easy and be very careful on the first rides of the season. Most of the people I know do not ride strictly down the trail every ride they take....If that is the case....pave every trail, drive a one ton RX1, and put wheels on... When there is postings telling you....absolutely do as they say and in many cases use common sense at where you go on and off the trail. My sled overheats if all I do is stay on the trail....Most do with the lack of snow getting thrown up into the heat exchangers.
Seems to me that your post is one of anger and frustration toward fellow riders. If you are this angry about it....become a DNR and enforce it... I thought about becoming one a long time ago but making $30k a year in a high risk profession did not seem like the way to go. No reason to be snippy at your fellow sledders:) Have a Happy New Year!!!![/b]
What are you talking about. DNR are a bunch of cop dropouts at best. where do you get that they have a high risk job, you are nuts....
maybe if someone would stand up to the P's O S and put a near death hurting on a couple of them for harassing people for no reason they would wake the fuck up and realize they are hurting the sport more then some of us do. MOST of them make up the rules as they go.

O wait they just found millions of $$$$$$'s which im sure is only half of what was really there....... if i was riding down the trail and i saw DNR on fire i would not pull over even to piss on the asshat..

MHO

trackstand

·
Registered
640 Posts
Seems to me that your post is one of anger and frustration toward fellow riders. If you are this angry about it....become a DNR and enforce it... I thought about becoming one a long time ago but making $30k a year in a high risk profession did not seem like the way to go. No reason to be snippy at your fellow sledders:) Have a Happy New Year!!!![/b]
i should have said stay on the trail in that section cuz theres alot of garbage in that part and the fuzz will mess with you and ticket you if you don't.... dont get me wrong i off trail alot... around them parts i mind my p's & q's and fly under the radar...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

I rode that area a few years ago (2000) and I recall some signs saying something about staying on the trail and off the hills along the trail, like where the grade narrows up and one direction is elevated higher than the other. Someone let me know if I'm wrong because my memory isn't the best. Not saying the signs are there now but it sounds like the same trail.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The sad thing is that I actually wanted to be a DNR officer, I went to college for criminal justice and recreation managment. I worked at several different state and county parks, and now I am employeed by the City. I was deterred from pursuing the job any further when they told me that being a white male would make it difficult for me to become a DNR officer. They actually give you extra points on the test if you are a female or minority. It is really sad to see who now actually works for the DNR and how poorly they treat people. If I learned anything at all in six years of college it would be how to communicate with people.

I am sick of hearing these professional people acting like asshats when they have a wonderful job with great benefits. (not including the fact that they get paid to ride around a snowmobile or boat, ect)

Anyways sorry to ramble about, but I think the state of michigan is a great place to live and spend recreational dollars I just feel the whole authority thing at the state and local levels are all screwed up.

If that DNR officer would just ask you a few simple questions and explain to you what you were doing wrong I think they wouldn't have to worry about their image being so poor.

Bye the way was the female officer with the missing teeth and rat tail hair with this officer?

My buddy Cfour thinks she is hot, and I think wan't to marry her...........JK Cfour

G

·
The sad thing is that I actually wanted to be a DNR officer, I went to college for criminal justice and recreation managment. I worked at several different state and county parks, and now I am employeed by the City. I was deterred from pursuing the job any further when they told me that being a white male would make it difficult for me to become a DNR officer. They actually give you extra points on the test if you are a female or minority. It is really sad to see who now actually works for the DNR and how poorly they treat people. If I learned anything at all in six years of college it would be how to communicate with people.

I am sick of hearing these professional people acting like asshats when they have a wonderful job with great benefits. (not including the fact that they get paid to ride around a snowmobile or boat, ect)

Anyways sorry to ramble about, but I think the state of michigan is a great place to live and spend recreational dollars I just feel the whole authority thing at the state and local levels are all screwed up.

If that DNR officer would just ask you a few simple questions and explain to you what you were doing wrong I think they wouldn't have to worry about their image being so poor.

Bye the way was the female officer with the missing teeth and rat tail hair with this officer?

My buddy Cfour thinks she is hot, and I think wan't to marry her...........JK Cfour[/b]
X2
Where i come from you have to give respect to get it....maybe im old school!

trackstand

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im almost sure that the state owns 25' from the center line of the railroad grade on each side. so if they allow snowmobiling down the rail grade then it should be legal to ride the side of it! we were just through there many times a couple of weeks ago. but Greg and i were to busy going 90 mph + down the grade to worry about ditch banging. we loved that grade north of wolf lake which is where we stayed.

We will be back in a couple of weeks!!!!!

trackstand[/b]
We were well with in 25' of center and IF the property is private I wouldn't think the owner would care, that area the RR parallels Irons Rd so there is only 50' between the grade and the road. My guess Peacock Township may own it as the hall is across the road.

Agree, it don't matter if you are off the trail in the UP or anywhere there will be obstacles waiting to be hit.

I rode that area a few years ago (2000) and I recall some signs saying something about staying on the trail and off the hills along the trail, like where the grade narrows up and one direction is elevated higher than the other. Someone let me know if I'm wrong because my memory isn't the best. Not saying the signs are there now but it sounds like the same trail.[/b]
A little south of 4 mile rd there are some areas that you must stay on the trail.

BTW this was not the DNR it was the Lake County Sheriff Dept.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts