Hardcore Sledder banner

Whining noise-F5-drove me nuts

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  duality 
#1 ·
Was up in mass city-rockland-ontanogon past few days-anyways about halfway through trip started to smell-like a clutch slipping on a car-anyways then shortly after all i heard was this high pitched whining noise,did it all speeds and never got any louder,the sound was a consisent whining noise.Anyways it had me puzzled for a little while until i realized when i braked hard the noise went away,and then on top of it now the brakes squel when braking.So now i have a whining noise all the time,a squeling noise when braking.None of my zrs have done this with the willwood brake.I take it the whining noise is coming from the brake rubbing the rotor correct????Or should i be looking elsewhere????Anyways any suggestions like a different brake pads or do you think the piston in the caliper may be sticking , keeping the tolerance level to tight next to rotor?Anyways the noise drove me nuts,and never had any brake problems with willwood system on past zrs>thanx scott

#2 ·
Just saw the brakes dragging post-i guess im not the only one!!!!

#5 ·
Check your chain tension,mine picked up the same whine,almost like bee's buzzing under the hood,6 full turns till finger tight on mine and the whine is much better,not totally gone,but I think the sleds while driving down the trail are so much quieter, that these noises are more pronounced.I also took out my brake pads and took them to the wirewheel and cleaned ,then slightly beveled all the edges.Then sprayed the backs down with a couple coats of anti-sqeal .The brake sqeal is completely gone and the brakes are less grabby.

#6 ·
Originally posted by redF5sp@Jan 11 2003, 10:16 PM
Check your chain tension,mine picked up the same whine,almost like bee's buzzing under the hood,6 full turns till finger tight on mine and the whine is much better
redF5sp,

How many miles did you have on your sled when you had to adjust your chain 6 full turns until it was finger tight again? Thanks.
-John

#7 ·
Jleo,the machine picked up the whine around 150 miles,I dont know if the dealer never checked it or the chain stretched that much,but after tightening it the whine is almost completely gone,also the brake pad trick worked awesome.I put on another 100 miles yesterday afternoon and not a single peep out of the brakes.Mine were very noisey before that.After 650 miles the whine is kinda growing on me,like beez under the hood.These sled s are quiet going down the trail and all I hear is a slight buzz,I kinda like it,but hope that the whine is just part of the machine and not an indication of a future problem!? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.