Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which pipe will produce more horespower?? The fisrt one in the sled is a set of PSI pipes. The second is of a set of SLP ones.
[attachment=409591:IMG_0238.JPG]
[attachment=409592:IMG_0239.JPG]
[attachment=409594:IMG_0240.JPG]
[attachment=409595:IMG_0241.JPG]
Then here are sum SLP ones.
[attachment=409607:IMG_0243.JPG]
[attachment=409611:IMG_0244.JPG]

What kind of jetting should i have iwth these. I am 3000 feet above, and i have 300's in there right now. I uussally ride between -20 and 0 degrees CELCIUS. What should the air scres be at?? What size piolets should i have?

thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HOw much h/p are these good for?? What do pipes now put out? If they fit could put them on a 2004 700 vertical edge?

·
Registered
782 Posts
HOw much h/p are these good for?? What do pipes now put out? If they fit could put them on a 2004 700 vertical edge?[/b]
I'm not really sure what HP a set of pipes could ad, i'd assume about a 5-7 horse gain. Also, i would not reccomend putting 600cc rated pipes on a 700 twin. Plus on most new sleds the stock pipes are amazing. If you want sound get a can.

·
Registered
215 Posts
sorry but idk much about the pipes or which would be better but i heard that adding trip pipes to XLT's is really hard on them? i got a 1996 xlt with the stock pipe would it be hard on it like severly if i added 3 pip[es or could i add a can without troubles?

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the 93 and 94 xlt's the PSI pipes produce the best HP thats easiest to clutch. Best clutch kit is EPI"S Cant remember what jets I ran but it was smaller than what PSI reccomended.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you jet properly, adding pipes to an older XLT won't make any noticable difference in engine life. The old XLT's don't last well if you get crazy with cylinder porting and other mods that make the engine rev to the moon, but just adding pipes won't hurt anything.

SLP pipes are generally considered the best for XLT's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When i jet with any tripple, do i put the same jets all the way through, or on the pto side do i put a smaller one?? Right now i have 300's all across, should i put a 290 in the pto cylender?? Do you think 300's are good for -20 to 0 degrees Celcius?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Paul, put an air box on your sled. I run the SLPs like yours on a '95 600 with 34mm carbs. With the float bowls vented to the air box I run 35 PJ, Stock needles and needle jets, 240 MJ and 3/4 turn out on Pilot air screw. I've put about 1800 miles on this setup with a welded crank, enlarged pto oil passage, and about average 50:1 oil injection pump setting. This past weekend I can tell that is running rich at nearly 40*f but in 200 miles I didn't foul any plugs. The jetting is also safe to -10*F In any weather the mpg is around 10.

As for clutching, it depends on what you want. In the primary, I run a maroon EPI for high engagement and 48g 10 series weights (I can't remember the letter on them). The polaris blue works well too, just lower engagement. The secondary is what I change for different conditions. For excellent back shift on the trail a R6 34* helix with polaris silver works well. For max acceleration I use a 50/34 progressive from epi with their blue spring. I am running it at 9000 rpms with a 20/40 gear ratio.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do i have an air box on there. Just not in the pick. I just started this thing, and i just took it for a spin, and i wouldnt run good. no hi rpms, and it had no power, like ti was on 2 clyenders. Took the air box off, cuz i thought i broke a throttle cabe or sumthing (happend before). Took a look, nothing. Shut it down. Start it up, ran good. Dont know what happend.

Whats a good way to prevent snow in the exahst???
I have a 3 into 1 pipe, and it leaks (on another machine). Its where i dont know the real name, but i would call it headers go into the pipe. That little donut thing, it leaks. HOw i seal it up nicely? Hi-temp gasket sealent???

thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Put a snow deflector infront of the exhaust outlet in the belly pan to keep it from cloging up. Use a hi-temp sealant like permetex ultra black to stop the leaking in the exhaust seams. You are going to have to play with the jetting to get it right, Im still working the kinks out of my xlt that i built last year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, but i heard somone uses soader on the donut thing. If i just put sum saoder anround there will it work?

·
Registered
62 Posts
HOw much h/p are these good for?? What do pipes now put out? If they fit could put them on a 2004 700 vertical edge?[/b]
adding pipes should at least give you a 20 hp gain...and thats preaty substancial considering that the sled has about 90 hp stock.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts