Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from a 2011 Polaris Four stroke turbo. Got to really work hard to make this thing turn. Looking at getting either a ski doo 900,1200 or 900 turbo. All would be 2017 or newer. Any suggestions or things to look for in these sleds. How hard are they to turn?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Coming from a 2011 Polaris Four stroke turbo. Got to really work hard to make this thing turn. Looking at getting either a ski doo 900,1200 or 900 turbo. All would be 2017 or newer. Any suggestions or things to look for in these sleds. How hard are they to turn?
What's the issue your having with turning? Does it push?

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
Rode a couple older FST's they handled fine for their weight, but they all required more steering effort than many other sleds.
A buddy of mine who was otherwise very happy with his FST's suffered from frozen shoulder, he got himself a Yamaha Venture with servo assist. He hated the handling but loved the fact that he was able to get out riding , lol!
I heard updated spindles would help lower steering effort on the IQ chassis, going to SLP SLT skis should also help a lot.

As for the 1200, my GTX feels fine, not much steering effort needed. Cant comment how it compares to the 900's

Reactions: dskofich

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought sly dog skiis, shimmed the skiis, and bought bergstrom triple point carbides and still requires a lot of effort to turn. I guess thats normal for these sleds. The 900 turbos might be a little out of my price range. Looking at a 1200 ski doo tnt. What mpg do these get? Will there be much acceleration difference between that and my fst?

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I bought sly dog skiis, shimmed the skiis, and bought bergstrom triple point carbides and still requires a lot of effort to turn. I guess thats normal for these sleds. The 900 turbos might be a little out of my price range. Looking at a 1200 ski doo tnt. What mpg do these get? Will there be much acceleration difference between that and my fst?
Joe if you get the 1200 get one 2012 or newer. They have the r-motion rear suspension in them>>>>I had a fst and more 1200's and the 1200 from the hole is much quicker to me>>>>Also the 1200's I had were always at 15 mpg no matter how I really drove them or the air tempeture. If you could I would try to get your hands on a 900turbo. the one I have is very nice>>>The 1200 is gonna feel heavy in the front compared to the 900Turbo>>>>Even though the 900Turbo is classified as heaver>>>>Best of luck no matter what you buy>>>>:buttrock:

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
I'd say the 1200 feels torquier in the low and mid , and the fst feels like it got a little more up on top. But never lined them up. Usually gets around 13 mpg on mine, fully loaded

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
We loved our 1200's till we got the 900T's..Feel way lighter...
The 1200 felt more top heavy..But were flawless ..zero issues..18 MPG CND ..
Cant go wrong with a 1200...

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
picked up a 2017 1200 4tec with 1200 miles. Ran a little bit in my field, all i can say is wow. The clutch when engaged is quiet, and not clanking like the team clutch did. The steering is waaaaay easier also. Just have to wait 9 months to ride.
Now head over to Dootalk and find all the goodies you can add on now>>>>>>:fistpump2: You picked a good sled. And if you have any problems with your primary clutch just go get a Pb80 clutch. Looks like you picked the sled up in Minnesota?????

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Joe if you get the 1200 get one 2012 or newer. They have the r-motion rear suspension in them>>>>I had a fst and more 1200's and the 1200 from the hole is much quicker to me>>>>Also the 1200's I had were always at 15 mpg no matter how I really drove them or the air tempeture. If you could I would try to get your hands on a 900turbo. the one I have is very nice>>>The 1200 is gonna feel heavy in the front compared to the 900Turbo>>>>Even though the 900Turbo is classified as heaver>>>>Best of luck no matter what you buy>>>>:buttrock:
I believe 2016 was the last year for the 1200.

I had stock 900's since they came out in 2014. Was satisfied with my 2017 untill I rode the 2019 900T. \Now that is my every day sled

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts