Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have owned a few different makes and they all worked just fine. Last two have been MTD. A lot depends on how big an area you need to clean and how far you have to throw the snow. Get one big enough to throw the snow as far you need it to. I always get at least a 26" wide. If your cleaning a larger area get a wider machine and an 8hp. Mine has electric start but I never use it. Always starts on first pull.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I sort of agree, most are all compatible with each other these days in each class
bigger [part of owning them is taking care of them, and draining old fuel out before using again following yr and treating fuel when in storage, and if possible ONLY use non ethanol fuel in them
Have a few that sit at properties not interested in hauling one to, so leave em there!
and almost every yr, NEVER get used, almosta waste having the, but the time needed there sure nice to have there LOL
for me to keep em running this way,, every yr I drain tank's, replace fuel before even trying to start them, which I do about late OCT every yr, to make sure they are ready to go if needed, then at end of season, they get put away , carbs run dry!
come following yr, again, I drain ALL old fuel, replace with new, turn fuel on prime, and BOOM they fire up easy for me, and several are of different brand names/makers

so, to me key is HOW well you care for them
I replace oil every other yr on em too, even when they DON"T get used at all, just a habit of mine?

and they all tend to start on first or second pull, some are 10-15 yrs old too
so seems to me, care and good fuel and not leaving OLD fuel in, matters more maybe than name brand!

·
Premium Member
2019 850 Pro S S.B. 2006 600 Fusion
5,849 Posts
Some of the "cheaper" makes are flimsy, and bend up after putting them through the paces. Depends on how much snow you want to remove, and if clearing driveways where the plows build up bigger piles and chunks of ice occur.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I picked up a Toro 928 this fall and used it on our 3-4 inches of very wet and heavy snow and it at it up perfectly. I was able to do my entire blocks sidewalk in 6th gear. I have no worries with it for the big storms hopefully coming.

Love the joystick control and it shoots the snow pretty much anywhere I need it too.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have some input on this as I use a walk behind snowblower to remove snow from my 278 yard laneway. Plastic chutes suck, the wet heavy snow sticks to them. specially if it's sunny. Plugs up faster than a steel chute.

My snowblower of choice is an Ariens. Mine is nearly as old as I am and still never lets me down. I've owned it for 16 years now. was used when I bought it, from an old guy in the city who had used it since new in 1980. Have changed one internal drive wheel and had to buy the brass float for it this summer cause the needle had worn a hole right through the contact area into the float.

edit: belts and shear pins are the only other items I've changed but I look at those as consumables

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've only had three in my lifetime, all Simplicity or Toro bought at dealers. With care it's like anything else, they will last a long time. Probably would have kept my Simplicity forever but snagged a 2 year old Toro 8hp at an estate sale for $250. If you go to the big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes for a 'Toro' or 'Troybilt' or dozens of others you're getting lesser goods assembled at Murray/MTD in Ohio.

·
Premium Member
20,009 Posts
Starting the 9th year on my 30" ariens "pro". Has a cub cadet/mtd 32" 10hp for ten years before that. Had no troubles with either one, but I bought the ariens because it had 2x as much metal in it as some of the other models, new at the time. I think it's 13.5 hp./425cc maybe, (whatever the biggest styled machine was., but with only a 30" width,... And I don't think the new ones today have changed at all). Buy as big as you can justify. I have a wife and daughters that drive and they are all Short. Mid winter, I use to occasionally have to shovel down my snow banks so they could safely see when exiting the driveways. Now I blow snow so far back on my lawns that there are never banks. I have operated a Honda as well, but it was $3500, and although I'm sure they are probably a bit better....$3500 is a lot. I think you can get a very stout machine for 2k ish, and one that will certainly work, for way less. A quality machine will Eat snow and the slush/ice/sand/packed crap at the end of your driveway, and get you out on the trail faster. Look at diameter and depth of the impeller/expeller spinner arounder thing and at the bracing between the auger housing and the drivetrain. Most lesser machines have smaller spinners and no bracing. But they have a big auger up front....to look impressive.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Ariens 1336Pro here. I traded a Honda HS1132 for it. I hated that Honda with a passion.
If you like tinkering and saving a few bucks an old John Deere 826 or 1032 can be a beast with a few mods.

·
Administrator
2021 Gade XRS 900T On the way, C-19 Provided
16,695 Posts
I've had a Ariens Compact 24 this will be the 3rd season now.

All steel construction and one of the best warranties. She's cut through anything mother nature has thrown at it. From 2+ feet of snow to the heaviest wet shit.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
i have an old ariens . pos tecumseh failed so i put a briggs and stratton intek pro overhead valve engine on it. what a joy to use with the better engine. uses way less fuel, quiet, great power , and starts with one effortless pull.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Honda hands down is the best! Yes they are pricey, but if you have a chance to try one next to any other brand you will get the Honda! I have had a tracked 928 since 2006 blows snow like crazy. If I was going to buy a new one today it would be the 11 Hp model on tires. Track work fine but for my smaller drive the tracked ones are harder to spin and turn.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts