Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm wondering what there is for dirt bike riding in Maine? I would be looking to do more trail riding as cruising around one gravel pit or field gets boring after a little bit. Can you take dirt bikes on the trail system in Norther Maine? or anywhere else for that matter. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There is A LOT more laws on dirtbikes then snowmobiles in Maine. Don't quote me when the warden gets you but I believe the deal is that you can't ride on any snowmobile trail maintained by the state. Basically ITS and club trails as far as I can tell. One place that I used to ride was in Amherst on the Tannery Loop Road. It's not really a trail but its a super long logging road that gets very little traffic. Not sure if it's legal but I don't think anyone would yell at you to much about it. The only other place I used to ride regularly was a pit here in Hampden. It's huge but I dont think your coming to Maine to ride a random pit. :m2c:

·
Registered
414 Posts
There are plenty of ATV & dirt bike trails in the Moosehead Lake area. I have maps for over 300 miles of trails that start in Greenville Juction, Kokadjo,Jackman and more. Mud season is gonna last a while so it may not be till june before you can ride most of it with a dirt bike due to deep mud and water.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There are plenty of ATV & dirt bike trails in the Moosehead Lake area. I have maps for over 300 miles of trails that start in Greenville Juction, Kokadjo,Jackman and more. Mud season is gonna last a while so it may not be till june before you can ride most of it with a dirt bike due to deep mud and water.[/b]
where can I get these maps, I am on the lake every summer and this year I plan on bringing the atv. Never ridden the trails up there other than when I was a kid and my dad ran the groomer for squaw. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
If you were closer, i would say come to my house, plenty of pipeline trails here, and its a blast on a bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if it's legal but I don't think anyone would yell at you to much about it. :m2c:[/b]
If your not sure if it is legal or not you should check before you ride!!!! Most ATV clubs allow bikes on their Club Maintained Marked Trails, however I have seen a few places where the landowner has posted "No Dirtbikes Allowed" because 1 or 2 idiots have ruined it for others, our club allows Legally Registered bikes on our trails but I'm afraid we are going to lose some areas because of loud ,unregistered, non-member, rut digging, riders in town.

As a matter of fact we talked to a landowner just yesterday about using his property (which is on a power line) (and is a snowmobile trail) for ATV trail and he bluntly said "NO" because of the problems with dirt bikes in the summer, he also stated he was thinking about gating the area off and closing the snowmobile trail if people didn't respect his property.

Therefore IF YOU DON'T HAVE PERMISSION AND IT IS NOT A LEGAL CLUB TRAIL; STAY OFF IT OR YOU WILL RUIN IT FOR ALL!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Therefore IF YOU DON'T HAVE PERMISSION AND IT IS NOT A LEGAL CLUB TRAIL; STAY OFF IT OR YOU WILL RUIN IT FOR ALL![/b]
Easy there. I was talking about a logging road that was in no way affiliated with any club or snowmobile trail. I don't think they'd close down one of those considering the shape its in already. It was mid summer when I couldn't make any huge ruts or spray up mud. As for snowmobile trails and private property I stay off because I know the damage it does, and we've had plenty of idiots rip up our 100 acres. I wasn't saying go ride wherever you find suitable. Next time I'll go check with the mill first for sure. :flamethrowingsmiley:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dirt bikes are allowed in most places that atv's are. Just make sure your bike is registered as it is still considered and "atv." My brother and I got stopped in Dover Foxcroft last summer by a warden. My atv was registered but his bike was not. He ended up paying a $160 fine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I know I will get flamed for this but register your dirt bike for the road with a plate and all and you can ride where you want on any dirt road you can find that doesnt have a No Trespassing sign on it. It is very similar to the loop hole that allows 4 wheel drive trucks to go out mudding in places that 4 wheelers and off road bikes cant. If you register your bike on road any dirt road is open to you like the Golden Road etc where 4 wheelers and off road dirt bikes are not allowed. 4 wheelers get a bad name from some people that act like idiots. Its to bad the guy who owns the power line is shutting that down. In the end it is his land but if it where me you could ride on the trail mud whatever you want out in the back part I dont have to see or deal with, but if the trail was right by my house I would expect a little more control.

·
Registered
414 Posts
check atvmaine.com for links. I'm a member of northern lights~kokadjo, Moosehead atv riders-greenville jct., Forks area recreation club. try online call kokadjo trading post for their map which has huge 100plus mile loop trails which we ride all the time

·
Registered
16 Posts
Easy there. I was talking about a logging road that was in no way affiliated with any club or snowmobile trail. I don't think they'd close down one of those considering the shape its in already. It was mid summer when I couldn't make any huge ruts or spray up mud. As for snowmobile trails and private property I stay off because I know the damage it does, and we've had plenty of idiots rip up our 100 acres. I wasn't saying go ride wherever you find suitable. Next time I'll go check with the mill first for sure. :flamethrowingsmiley:[/b]
I really didn't mean to yell (all caps), I just get a little frustrated when I read or see people that think it is "OK" to ride an area not marked "NO ATV". When the law passed in 2004 (?) it made it illegal for ATV/Dirt Bikes to ride any property that they did not have permission for (marked trails are considered permission) which is too bad in a way because there are thousands of miles of old or unused logging roads that are great to ride on, and in most cases can not be hurt like you mentioned. The problem came when people were crossing streams, brooks, etc. where bridges were washed out and the landowners were responsible for the enviromental damage.

I know on Plum Creek and Wagner lands wardens were writing tickets (no warnings) to anyone that wandered off marked trails last year. Check with the landowners, they may give you written permission.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Head up towards Jackman, or at least Eustis/Rangley if you don't want any trouble. They hate anything louder than a dishwasher around here. (Windham)

·
Registered
246 Posts
The multi use atv trails the state has allows bikes also seen dirt bikes on the troy atv club trails[/b]
We also allow dirtbikes on our trail in Thorndike . . . which hopefully with some luck will connect up to the club trails in Troy and the trail system on Frye Mountain (although I'm unsure if dirtbikes are allowed at Frye Mountain or not.) We're also looking at possibly connecting the Troy and Thorndike trails up to the trails in Jackson (although as you probably know the proposal to use some roads as access roads was shot down at town meeting in Jackson) and the Plymouth ATV/Snowmobile club is supposedly working on connecting up to the Troy trail system.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Lots of good riding from rte 9 beddington dinner or can access from old town, milford, stud mill road area. Can go all the way from old town to grand lake stream. The area is remote so gas is hard to find. Your best bets are gas at the dinner , gas at grand lake, or gas at nicatous lodge at the end of nicatous lake. Or make one of the four wheelers you ride with the gas jockey.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Your best bet might be to go to ATVMaine.org and look up the individual clubs listed there and shoot them an e-mail or give them a call . . . many would be able to tell you if they allow dirtbikes on their trails or not and if they have maps available at their website or posted on their club trails.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Head up towards Jackman, or at least Eustis/Rangley if you don't want any trouble. They hate anything louder than a dishwasher around here. (Windham)
I live in rangeley and am looking at a bike but people are saying they are not allowed. I think they are just saying that but idk. Have you ridden up here? I’ve seen people I just don’t know for myself if I’m gunna get a ticket

1 - 20 of 24 Posts