Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well all of the arrangements for our annual sled week at the end of January have been made for months to stay in Baraga the week of Jan. 26 - Feb. 1...until last night.

Suddenly the group has split, with the majority (6-2) wanting to go to the Black Hills area. We live in Michigan (west lower) making South Dakota a 24 hour drive. The plan is to leave on Saturday, arrive Sunday afternoon, ride Monday - Thursday and leave Friday back home Saturday.

If we stick to the original UP plan it's a 10 hour drive tops, giving us 6 days of riding. I have heard great reports on the Black Hills, and yes I have ridden West UP before, but it's been several years for most of us. Maybe I'm just getting old but 24 hours in in a Suburban just isn't my idea of a vacation! We talked about this in July and the thought was that if we go west we fly and rent machines, however this will almost double the cost of the trip and we all know it's hard to hide that much from the boss with only a month to do it in :blink:

Then there's the "no gaurantee of snow" factor. Although unlikely, the UP has been very unpredictable the past few years with most snow in the upper east region. From my understanding, South Dakota is pretty much a sure thing for great conditions.

Well, you can see I've got a lot to think about here <_< Any suggestions guys??

Thanks,
Arctic2

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
UP! Even though you live there, it iw voted Number one sled destination year after year! I love it up there! Neven been to the dakotas, so I can't compare, but the UP is the BOMB!!! Just hope there is snow up there soon!

·
Registered
124 Posts
there's a major storm front moving through the UP over the next 7-10 days. Johndee is reporting that snowfall could hit 2 feet plus in some areas, and 1 foot in most of the UP within the first week on Jan. Today and tomorrow should see a good amount of freezing rain, then turn to light snow. Is this a consistant report?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
snowface,
the local weather station in munising is as follows:
next 3 days light snow(3-6inches)
dec 22-27 major storm 24" possible
that is what my source at the best western told me today,
and all their rooms are booked so no reason to lie to rent rooms

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you're going to drive to the Black Hills, I would go just a little further and go to Laramie, WY!!! Much better riding, a lot neater scenery and I don't think Deadwood has any snow!!!! Good Luck

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Originally posted by snowface@Dec 18 2002, 12:29 PM
there's a major storm front moving through the UP over the next 7-10 days. Johndee is reporting that snowfall could hit 2 feet plus in some areas, and 1 foot in most of the UP within the first week on Jan. Today and tomorrow should see a good amount of freezing rain, then turn to light snow. Is this a consistant report?
It is a good report! Many areas of the Lake effect snow belts will see heavy LE Snow! I am heading that way in 10 days and I doo hope it will pan out. John Dee is a very accurate forcaster for the midwest and he breaks it down like it should be!!! I will be monitoring the situation very closely! Keep your fingers crossed!

p.s. Awesome Pic Duke1n!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts