Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been to Maine snowmobiling before. Usually I go to Canada. However, my two sons are old enough to go somewhere this year and they are not quit old enough for Canada. One is 13, the other is 16. So, I know they are legal in Maine and we were planning to go there this year.

Because of the weather, we were thinking about going to Northern Maine.

Where is a good place to stay???? Any ideas????

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you are looking for crowds then Rangeley area(decent riding just lots of people). If you want to do some serious riding Presque isle, Caribou, Fort Kent, Long Lake that area. Great trails in northern Maine, less traffic too. Not really enough snow yet. It takes about 4-4.5 hrs to Rangeley, and 7 hours to Presque isle(420 miles) this is from Central Massachusetts. Good Luck redf-7

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was thinking of driving up to the lower part of Aroostoock County if the weather is good enough. (February should be good). Then going north on the sleds and staying at different places for a couple of nights ending at the starting point. Any suggestions of places to stay or sights to pass?????

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
A good place to start if there is snow would be Sherman mills. Right off 95 and on the ITS. If you plan on riding to different motels every night you might want to get a map and start making reservations. Once it snows there will be no rooms anywhere. Sites like SledMaine or Me Snow.com have ways to get maps by either mail or download. If you have trouble pm me I have a dozen or so right here (get aone every trip) and would mail you one. Have a good time. My son who ijust turned 14 has been riding with me in the County for 5 years. Think Snow

·
Registered
244 Posts
Shin Pond would be the best central starting point from northern Penobscot. Shin Pond Village runs a great operation, however you may find it hard to get a reservation if you don't start now. Only 10 miles from my place, and as lousy as it was last year we even had to trailer into the pond to offload! You can plot out various points in the County easily ridable day to day and make one heck of a loop! Good luck, only about 4 inches of snow here right now a little more into Shin Pond area, rain and snow mix again today!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A good place to start if there is snow would be Sherman mills. Right off 95 and on the ITS. If you plan on riding to different motels every night you might want to get a map and start making reservations. Once it snows there will be no rooms anywhere. Sites like SledMaine or Me Snow.com have ways to get maps by either mail or download. If you have trouble pm me I have a dozen or so right here (get aone every trip) and would mail you one. Have a good time. My son who ijust turned 14 has been riding with me in the County for 5 years. Think Snow[/b]
I went to the website but I can't seem to find an area to order a Map. I found where you can view it on the computer, but it is hard to see. I would like to order a hard copy.... Thanks for the info. If it snows, I would like to start around the shin pond area...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Here, off the MeSnow site.

If you would like an ITS map mailed to you, we ask that you send your request, along with your mailing address and $1 to cover postage and handling to:

ITS MAP, Maine Snowmobile Association
P.O. Box 80, Augusta, Maine 04332

Tell the you want the Aroostook County map. Have fun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts