Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850!! In 137"
1,188 Posts
Just sold my 1988 Sea Ray 20' that had not run in 7 years, moldy seats, in board V6, prop needs to come off for some repair, with trailer for 5k. Now youse guys are making me feel like I left a bunch on the table... Couldn't even get a nibble a few years ago when I tried to sell it. Thought I was doing pretty good at 5k as is. I sure was happy to see it go!!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hang tight, I imagine that there should be some good deals come October-November.

Reactions: Enduro900

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Have they changed the steering on jet boats? I used to spend a ton of time on the water. Literally every day there wasn't a layer of ice. Played in all types of boats and PWC over the years. Jet drives could be fun, but they had big flaws as mentioned. Always needed power to steer and the sand thing is huge. Anybody that parks on the beach has lost performance. I also used boats for pulling. The jet drives used a lot of power for the pull you were getting. I wasn't a fan of training behind them. Probably not a big deal, but their inefficiency is highlighted when pulling skiers. They had a hard time keeping consistent speed with hard pulls.

I also did enjoy some of the quirks on big power jets. You can do some trick stunts with the no shift forward to reverse. ;) Stern drives with trim can add a whole new level of tricks.
Yamaha has added a keel along the bottom and also a rudder so they are supposed to track straight now while pulling tubes/skiers/etc (since model year 15 i think). But still doesn’t dock like An I/O from what i have heard

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Interiors are ugy as f#$k too
You really think so? The 2020 242 SE is pretty sharp in my opinion....

Who makes a better 24ft with 360HP+ for under $70k?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Useless boat! Where do you mount a downrigger? How do you fly fish for striper on that thing? Useless.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Trying to find a used 4S jetski for around $5k and can't find anything. If something does come up, it's gone within hours.

·
Registered
40,342 Posts
Of all the various boats, canoes, and types of kayaks, their hasn't been one jet ski on my lake in years..yet they are allowed as long as registered. Beginning to think their not as popular as once was.

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
161 Posts
I think jetski's suffer from the same issue sleds do, they've become these expensive supercharged 4 stroke tanks, and older ones are expensive to repair if you cannot do it yourself. I've seen a few Sparks around, thats a good compromise.
We have new and old ones, but my 95 WaveRaider 1100 does about 65MPH on GPS and keeps up with all but the quickest new machines. Only the GP 1800R is going to run by my old mans modified Ultra 150.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
You really think so? The 2020 242 SE is pretty sharp in my opinion....

Who makes a better 24ft with 360HP+ for under $70k?
Lol. 360 jet, not 360 and a prop. Buying new is stupid as hell on boats . I've owned plenty of boats and after driving the yamahaha I have zero interest in owning one. Not even for $30k

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lol. 360 jet, not 360 and a prop. Buying new is stupid as hell on boats . I've owned plenty of boats and after driving the yamahaha I have zero interest in owning one. Not even for $30k
LOL GFYS....

What’s the top speed on a 24ft 360HP prop??? Low 50’s, which is the same as these boats.

Since you have no interest in these I guess I won’t bother inviting you out then......

And look at the used market wise-A$$, $30k buys a 10yr+ used/faded moldy interior......I haven’t found but 1-2 decent 23ft-25ft boats for $30k-$40k in the last 30 days.....and that is doing a 1,000 mile search.......

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Enduro, my Daughter come to me first week of June wanting to buy a used pontoon, after searching CL and FB for 3 weeks from S. ME to S.CT and watching everything decent disappear in 2 days she decided to go new.
Put down a deposit and had to wait 3 weeks for the boat to be built, in that time the dealer sold out of 90hp outboards so she settled on a 70, finally took delivery on July 3, my point is EVERYTHING decent is being snapped up, it's crazy.
I picked up her trailer yesterday and according to her dealer, no 90hp Yamaha outboards till January.

I have been watching the Yamaha jet boats since the mid 2000's, they are beautiful boats, yes a little tricky handling at low thrust, but otherwise they do a very nice job putting them together, the swim platform has won design awards,
best of luck with your search.
Check out http://www.yamahajetboaters.com/index.html

Jim.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Enduro, my Daughter come to me first week of June wanting to buy a used pontoon, after searching CL and FB for 3 weeks from S. ME to S.CT and watching everything decent disappear in 2 days she decided to go new.
Put down a deposit and had to wait 3 weeks for the boat to be built, in that time the dealer sold out of 90hp outboards so she settled on a 70, finally took delivery on July 3, my point is EVERYTHING decent is being snapped up, it's crazy.
I picked up her trailer yesterday and according to her dealer, no 90hp Yamaha outboards till January.

I have been watching the Yamaha jet boats since the mid 2000's, they are beautiful boats, yes a little tricky handling at low thrust, but otherwise they do a very nice job putting them together, the swim platform has won design awards,
best of luck with your search.
Check out http://www.yamahajetboaters.com/index.html

Jim.
Checked out that site, good info thanks!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
And look at the used market wise-A$$, $30k buys a 10yr+ used/faded moldy interior......I haven’t found but 1-2 decent 23ft-25ft boats for $30k-$40k in the last 30 days.....and that is doing a 1,000 mile search.......
As I said before, TERRIBLE year to buy a boat. GREAT year to sell though. I could make $20k on the boat I bought 8 years ago selling it now...but I couldn't replace it without spending more. The Yamaha is a terrible buy new. Go ahead and do it, you'll see in a few years.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
As I said before, TERRIBLE year to buy a boat. GREAT year to sell though. I could make $20k on the boat I bought 8 years ago selling it now...but I couldn't replace it without spending more. The Yamaha is a terrible buy new. Go ahead and do it, you'll see in a few years.
I appreciate you chiming in but can you give specifics “Yamaha is a terrible buy”

Based on resale?

Based on maintenance costs?

Based on performance/handling?

Based on reliability?

All boat types have trade-offs and none do all things well.

I want something that will cruise well, is well laid-out for anchoring and hanging out, can ski behind, tube and wake surf (not competition surf, just mess around with younger kids).

Some I/O’s do all but the wake surf, and a true V-drive don’t usually cruise well and I haven’t found one laid out with 2 captains chairs (the layout WE want)....

I’m not buying this year anyway...I might buy in March, or I might buy in March 2022 (I have found a reasonable rental on a large crystal-clear lake in MI that only charges half of what others charge (so we rented a pontoon and a ski boat for the day so we could do both out on the water, 2 for 1 costs). I was able to rent July 5th, so If I can reserve with them next spring for July 5th again, I probably won’t need a boat as the 4th holiday is the only time all of my grown children are available. In two years I do want to have my own as we expect to start boating much more often by then.

So If you have some specifics on the NEWER (2016+) Yamaha boats please share them, otherwise.......

21 - 37 of 37 Posts