Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking for a 2009-newer 21’-23’ Seadoo challenger (almost none existent on craigslist or boat trader) or even a 21-24’ Yamaha.

Past years I could find dozens within 500 miles from me for sale. Now none or maybe 1-5 and some are clearly scam listings (on craigslist anyway).

Also, when I do find one people want $25-$35k for a 8-12 year old boat that dealers were giving away at the time these were new?

And anyone know of a better search for used boats than craigslist or boat trader? Any forums I might find for used sea doo challengers or Yamahas?

Late model used Yamahas that are 2-4 years old are only a few grand less than brand new.....and I can’t find ANY new leftovers listed online......are dealers now banned from advertising sale prices online? All the dealer listings are MSRP only.....or has the boat market exploded in the last 2-3 years and most dealers are selling at MSRP and selling out??

I’ve been out of boating for 20 years (just long enough that I want to take another stab at it now that kids are grown and no more 12 month kid sports leagues to contend with).

Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
My dealer is fresh out of new stock, and won't be seeing more til the summer winds down. He has a couple consignment units that are commanding ridiculous prices.

Covid travel restrictions, and the fact that a great deal of jobs now can be done from home provided a decent internet connection is available (or camp/cottage/lake house), frees up a lot of time and money for those consumers.....and are they ever consuming!

He also had as of Saturday, 1 4seater SxS, 1 2seater, a single ATV, and 4 sleds.....and this is new inventory. He was told not to expect any 2021 models until 2021 with the possible exception of sleds.

·
Premium Member
13,929 Posts
Boats, PWC, RVs, Campers, ATV's, dirt bikes, are pretty well sold out. Used valuse have skyrocketed. If somone has stock right now, they are asking, and will get MSRP+freight and prep.

The best advice I can give you is don't get a jet boat. They are the most expensive, highest maintenance way to spend time on the water.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boats, PWC, RVs, Campers, ATV's, dirt bikes, are pretty well sold out. Used valuse have skyrocketed. If somone has stock right now, they are asking, and will get MSRP+freight and prep.

The best advice I can give you is don't get a jet boat. They are the most expensive, highest maintenance way to spend time on the water.
Are the new Yamaha’s high maintenance too?

We are expecting grand kids in the next few years and the wife loves the idea of no props...... not to mention I bent props a coupe of times back when I had a boat.

If I have to pay $20k-$30k for a 8-12 year old boat with faded interiors I’m going to just bite the bullet and pay $50-$60k for new. I’m 50 now so this will be the last boat I ever buy.

·
Registered
786 Posts
As much as it pains me to say this Facebook marketplace seems to be where everyone sells stuff now. I was looking for a item for a few months on Craigslist and nothing ever seemed to come up. My brother tells me look at Facebook marketplace no one uses Craigslist anymore due to all the strokers and scammers. So sure enough within a week I had found exactly what I wanted. He basically found it and gave me his info since I refuse to do Facebook lol.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As much as it pains me to say this Facebook marketplace seems to be where everyone sells stuff now. I was looking for a item for a few months on Craigslist and nothing ever seemed to come up. My brother tells me look at Facebook marketplace no one uses Craigslist anymore due to all the strokers and scammers. So sure enough within a week I had found exactly what I wanted. He basically found it and gave me his info since I refuse to do Facebook lol.
My problem exactly.....I’m not on facebook and have no interest in joining.....unless it helps me find the right boat 😂

·
Registered
786 Posts
I believe you can search listings but just can’t contact the people unless you have a account or they actually put a phone number in the listing. I’m still new to it just started screwing around with it past few weeks I might eventually break down and make a account just to buy stuff I want on there lol

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I found out the same thing. We were kind of shopping for something in the 20k range. It is a tough find. Ski and wakeboard boats really hold their value, I suppose its because the new ones keep getting more expensive. I will also add that Craigslist is dead and most are using Facebook..... unfortunately

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Oh, and if you can't competently handle a propped boat, a jet will be way worse.
One has to be pretty inept not to able to handle a boat. Most states at least here require you to pass a boating/pwc safety course before allowing one to operate a boat.

·
Premium Member
13,929 Posts
One has to be pretty inept not to able to handle a boat. Most states at least here require you to pass a boating/pwc safety course before allowing one to operate a boat.
And those courses have nothing at all to do with being able to handle a boat... Anyone can drive any boat in the middle of the lake. Low speed maneuvering, docking, tying up to other boats etc is what is difficult.
Jet boats are much harder to handle in those situations. There is no real neutral, reverse and fwd steer differently than each other, etc

Reactions: favoritos

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My biggest need for my own boat has already passed For this season (we rented a lake house for a week over the 4th which we did rent 2 boats for a full day), so I’ll do a rental the 1-2 more times out for this season on quick 2-3 day weekends.

FYI I went to the Yamaha boat dealer near me. They do have (2) Yamahas still in stock (Ironically the two I am considering 240AR and 242 SE)...but that is ALL they have in stock for Yamaha right now. MSRP ++ on the price. He said they usually have 20-30 Yamahas this time of year, but between the factories being shut down and boat sales are way up this season it has caused the spike in prices and availability (perfect storm of events I guess).

I’ll wait and see what March is like at the big boat show near me. Since I have some rental options I don’t HAVE to buy, but its been 20 years since I’ve owned a boat and so now we are getting the itch again.

I wonder if we will see the same thing in the sled market come fall.....a lot of guys didn’t snow check based on the uncertainty back in April, so maybe late buying decisions will lead to an inventory clear-out of sleds too.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My neighbor was in the market for a new skidoo 3 seater, and was going to trade his 2016 in which needed work. The dealer was going to give him $500 more than original purchase price on the jetski back in 2016, and the new one was going to be MSRP. He ended up having the dealer fix the jetski, was only a $70 part. The same thing is going on with boats of all kinds, I was looking for a fishing boat and a 2010 is only going for $8,000 less than a new one...

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
And those courses have nothing at all to do with being able to handle a boat... Anyone can drive any boat in the middle of the lake. Low speed maneuvering, docking, tying up to other boats etc is what is difficult.
Jet boats are much harder to handle in those situations. There is no real neutral, reverse and fwd steer differently than each other, etc
Not disputing you on jet boats, never been in them, but come on, low speed maneuvering, and docking....your kidding right? How big a boat you speaking of...with twin screws? I've had inboard's and outboards used in long island sound....piece of cake on most days getting in the harbor, and docking. Ordinarily its easy to dock here, but It can be harder here on my lake docking my boat on a very windy day fighting the whitecaps, and wind when having to tie up at my dock. As far as the boating safety course, the one i took given by the coast guard was pretty in-depth, even covering backing up a loaded trailer. While it doesn't actually make you handle a boat better, but it does instruct you how the boat will handle. Plus it instructs you on all the rules on the water inland, or offshore.

·
Insane Madcatter
06 F7 EFI / 00 MXZ 600
156 Posts
We have about 15 total boats, 4-5 jetskis, few john boats, a fish and ski stratos, polarcraft fishing outfit, and some bigger inboard/outboard machines like my Baja.
The one thing I know about jetboats is, they still suffer from the same issue they always have.
Just google 'jet boats suck up' and you will get your answer.

You have to be very careful with your docking and navagation, jetskis can suck large pebbles/rocks/dirt 3-5 feet from under them and jetboats suck more then jetskies do( larger engines), and if you go through a bunch of weeds, you'll have to swim under and pull them out. Even one small pebble can do thousands of dollars of damage very quickly.
They were kind of a fad for awhile, they go fast, look good and are easy to run, but they have a major flaw and I barely see them around anymore. Repairs are very costly. In my area you can get them pretty cheap.

As far as things being worth alot now, holy shit is that spot on!
Fucking incredible how much powersports and boats are selling for...I am seeing 90's Honda's in average shape with 4WD pull 2-3K. Mid 2000 660 Grizzlies in good shape are selling for 4-5K. Even older Sportsman's are pulling 3-4K, and not just liquid cooled 400/500's, im talking 335's. Powersports on Facebook vanish in hours.

·
Registered
40,282 Posts
Geez, not that many years back you couldn't sell your boat....unbelievable where the markets gone. I better get busy restoring a very old small 15' boston whaler....already got a low hours 40 hp four stroke sitting around for it that i couldn't refuse to buy years ago.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
My brother and I own a boat together. In the last 10 years he's used it about three times a year. He's got a corporate job and three kids in softball, dance classes etc.

This year, he's working from home, kids have NO activities and he's using the boat three times a week.

I was in the market for a small RV but the prices are really high.

I wonder if RV and boat prices will come down in the fall when all the people who bought them for the summer are done with them

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My neighbor was in the market for a new skidoo 3 seater, and was going to trade his 2016 in which needed work. The dealer was going to give him $500 more than original purchase price on the jetski back in 2016, and the new one was going to be MSRP. He ended up having the dealer fix the jetski, was only a $70 part. The same thing is going on with boats of all kinds, I was looking for a fishing boat and a 2010 is only going for $8,000 less than a new one...
Yeah I’m seeing anything floating even 30 years old (20ft and larger) are $10-$20k......want a boat less than 15 years old? $20-$30k and up....even with faded interiors!

If I’m going to need to spend $20-$30k for something 10+ years old I’ve decided I’ll just spend $55k+ and get something brand new with a warranty next year (I’m hoping the spring boat shows still have aggressive pricing).

Interesting year it’s been.....first March/April we experienced meat and toilet paper shortages, major job losses throughout the country. Now there are runs on bicycles (most stores are completely sold out) and the boat market is through the roof!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Have they changed the steering on jet boats? I used to spend a ton of time on the water. Literally every day there wasn't a layer of ice. Played in all types of boats and PWC over the years. Jet drives could be fun, but they had big flaws as mentioned. Always needed power to steer and the sand thing is huge. Anybody that parks on the beach has lost performance. I also used boats for pulling. The jet drives used a lot of power for the pull you were getting. I wasn't a fan of training behind them. Probably not a big deal, but their inefficiency is highlighted when pulling skiers. They had a hard time keeping consistent speed with hard pulls.

I also did enjoy some of the quirks on big power jets. You can do some trick stunts with the no shift forward to reverse. ;) Stern drives with trim can add a whole new level of tricks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts