Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this weekend is a bust - looking at the O.F.S.C. looks like district 6 and North of there have trails open. So is North Bay the most southern and eastern area that has rideable trails? No real snow in the forecast for Ottawa and surrounding area, but lots of cold so 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

I guess trailering for 4 hours then riding North is doable. I'm thinking maybe in Quebec but I don't want to have to get a Quebec trail pass for both the sleds.

:i_need_snow:

·
Registered
828 Posts
I guess this weekend is a bust - looking at the O.F.S.C. looks like district 6 and North of there have trails open. So is North Bay the most southern and eastern area that has rideable trails? No real snow in the forecast for Ottawa and surrounding area, but lots of cold so 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

I guess trailering for 4 hours then riding North is doable. I'm thinking maybe in Quebec but I don't want to have to get a Quebec trail pass for both the sleds.

:i_need_snow:[/b]

Based on the forecast this coming week the trails will be open again next week-end.....the snow is falling now, it fell yesterday and the temps look really cold next week, well North of me atleast.
Heading to the Forest this week-end (district 6), should be good......the Forest would be too far for you to go seeing as you are from Ottawa, I think?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Pembroke trails are in awesome shape (though listed as Limited) all the way up to Mattawa. Missing Link Snowmobile club is having a poker run tomorrow, or stop in at the Petawawa Civic Centre and watch the snow drags.

It's still snowing!!!! Yay!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scrimmer - thanks - first hand info was what I was looking for. Ok only 1.5 hours away. Where do I hop on the trail? I might be able to make it out Sunday.

wa hoo!!! :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Just park at the Irving Big Stop (corner of Hwy 17 and 41), the trail runs beside the Big Stop. Follow the trail (121) to the Top A/B (it goes toward the Timberline Clubhouse). From the Top A/B, you can jump on Top B to Barrys Bay (some washouts, but we finally got snow again!!) or onto the Top A to Petawawa then on the pipeline toward Mattawa. Be careful in Deep River, you need to follow Wylie Road for about 2 kms, and then it's back onto the pipeline. We just got about 6cm of snow with another 5cm expected over the weekend, should help to reform all the trails in the area. Have fun!!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Scrimmer!!!!!!!!! Where, when is the snow drags????? Directions if you don't mind PPPPLEASE.......MMMM, SLEDDING!!!!!!!!! :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Scrimmer!!!!!!!!! Where, when is the snow drags????? Directions if you don't mind PPPPLEASE.......MMMM, SLEDDING!!!!!!!!! :smiley-faces7:[/b]
Drive to Petawawa, exit Murphy Road (if you're on Hwy 17 West bound) continue to the traffic lights (there's a Kelsey's on the corner) continue through the lights, turn left (Civic Centre Road), and you should see tons of vehicles parked along the road. The snow drags are held on the back 40 (entrance to view is $3). Registration for the Snow Drag Race. (Races at 12:00pm) $5/$10/$15/$25 race; bib $10 deposit; Pit access $5.

If you're coming by sled, just off the Top A trail, peel into the Kelsey Parking lot, the races are just behind Kelsey's (Banville Yamaha and Kelsey's on the opposite side of the road from the trail).

I'm trying to convince the wife to take the drive...the snow drags are tomorrow Jan 19th, race registration from 9-11, races start at noon!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Things should look pretty good comming weekend. Snowing large threwout southern Ontario and steady sub below temperature from now on. :xmas-smiley2:

Lost of winter left to enjoy. :party43:

Just finished the maintenance on the sled and we are good to go. :motoneige:

Cheers. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only cold temps in Ottawa. No real snow in the forecast either. I'm booking at the Swiss Inn within the next couple of weeks - i'm off on Friday so I'll trailer out to Pembroke and hit the trails where Scrimmer suggested. This weekend was hijacked by ringette and more ringette with the kids. I'm banking the hours until the snow comes... them I'm outta here!

Geesh - I sure wish I had the lake effect that the snowy regions have!

:i_need_snow:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Noob... coming from Ottawa I would have to agree that Pembroke and north is your best bet. The A trail up past Deep River is very nice running, and there are a few local trails in the Missing Link system that are very good as well. The snow is always solid in the Stonecliffe to Mattawa area. There are few QC options, but again at least 1.5 - 2 hours of trucking. ( you can see my weekend ride report in QC, in the Quebec forum )

Calling for a bit of snow here(Ottawa)Tuesday, but even if we get say 10 cm... it would be borderline to send the groomers out, and we all know that the results of that will be spotty and less than stellar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts