Hardcore Sledder banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
LOL. Guess different strokes for different folks.

I will take folding money everyday, all day before I even dreamed of taking a cashiers check.

What do you do if your out of town buyer does not bank at a huge bank and has a small town bank that only has branches where they live?
They bring the check with them when they come.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
They bring the check with them when they come.
Might be just me. But the only way I would take a cashier's check is if I'm at the bank and see the teller give the buyer the check. My buddy got burned on a fake cashier's check for big money. He deposited the check in his bank account and thought everything was good until the bank called 3 days later to tell him it was fake.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Might be just me. But the only way I would take a cashier's check is if I'm at the bank and see the teller give the buyer the check. My buddy got burned on a fake cashier's check for big money. He deposited the check in his bank account and thought everything was good until the bank called 3 days later to tell him it was fake.
I knew someone who had a whole scam with money orders. I don't remember how he did it, but he used a fake money order to pay a huge court fine.
More balls than brains...

I've handled large cash payments over my working life, have what I need to suss out fake bills. I ask a lot of questions, especially if in person as (usually imo) a liar and a thief will give themselves away.

Or "gas grass or ass" as payment :giggle:

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I think starting this year using Paypal etc for selling you will start receiving a 1099 for taxes, not saying you will owe taxes but may become just another hoop to jump through at tax time. Part of the BBB plan

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I think starting this year using Paypal etc for selling you will start receiving a 1099 for taxes, not saying you will owe taxes but may become just another hoop to jump through at tax time. Part of the BBB plan
[/QUOTE
Exactly. Always call the bank. Their number is usually on the check.
I agree. If you are going to take a cashier's check, then this would be a safe way to make sure everything is legit.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,282 Posts
Cash. Buyer goes with me to my bank. Teller checks each bill/ Buyer don't like that arrangement, tough shit.

Reactions: NDN and DrD

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ever hear of counterfeit money? I take cashiers checks or I will see the bank hand you the money. I'm not checking every single bill when you pay $10,000 in $20s.
I met a real nice lady once at an establishment one night, had lots and lots of dollar bills on her. Now if she wanted to buy my sled for cash...

·
Registered
121 Posts
becareful with e-transfers. I had a guy try to secure a bike I had for sale, said he would pick it up on the weekend but wanted to pay for it. Sent me a e-transfer for the total. Luckily I read it instead of being complacent and hit the accept button, it was a request to send him money!

also another gem of the human race wanted me to provide a history report, like carfax, from a company for a sled I was selling. Not that I was going to entertain that anyways but after looking it up it was a bogus way to send $28 for a fictional report….or maybe to get your credit card info….F’ers
Anytime they want to sent a check and have someone pick it up, it's 100% fake every single time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My last few major private party transactions have happened at the bank and I will follow the procedure going forward.

A handful of years ago I bought a boat out of state and ran into issues. My bank helped me along the way and I'm glad they did. The seller would not release his title until the cashiers check cleared. The bank would not let me take cash. The cash confused me as cash is cash. The bank said what if you go to meet this guy with $40,000 in your pocket but there's no boat, just 4 guys with baseball bats. Point made... The bank told me they see counterfeit cashiers checks all the time.

Now I meet at their bank or my bank and all exchange of money and titles is done in the bank. Bills can be verified, checks can be verified. cameras everywhere, etc.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
My last few major private party transactions have happened at the bank and I will follow the procedure going forward.

A handful of years ago I bought a boat out of state and ran into issues. My bank helped me along the way and I'm glad they did. The seller would not release his title until the cashiers check cleared. The bank would not let me take cash. The cash confused me as cash is cash. The bank said what if you go to meet this guy with $40,000 in your pocket but there's no boat, just 4 guys with baseball bats. Point made... The bank told me they see counterfeit cashiers checks all the time.

Now I meet at their bank or my bank and all exchange of money and titles is done in the bank. Bills can be verified, checks can be verified. cameras everywhere, etc.
The bank isnt always the most convenient place to meet.
If its a huge cash transaction just take some backup.The dealers come to haydays with at least $250,000 in backpacks.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts