Hardcore Sledder banner
21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just sold 2 sleds last month. 1 I sold for $5,300 and he paid cash. The other for $9200 and I took a personal check, BUT I did these things to protect myself.
1) I took a photo of his Drivers license
2) Looked up his address on the county assessors page to verify he lived at that address (matching his DL).
3) wrote up & signed a bill of sale.
4) I retained all the docs (title & registration) and the manual & spare key and mailed it to him once the check cleared.
5) I kept insurance on the sled until the check cleared. If it didn't clear, I report the sled as stolen and then let the insurance company and the police get my sled back to me or the insurance company pay me it they can't find the sled. All this was also done with a trust factor by me to the buyer as well. I certainly would not have let it go to someone out of state though. Bottom line, the check did clear and I mailed him the papers and spare key.

·
Premium Member
22,014 Posts
I’ve sold a Lot of stuff for cash in the last year and a half, I take cash, I’ve never counted it, and I’ve never been screwed yet knock on wood, but, I will only even entertain conversation from guys who seem to be legit, in the know, decent sounding guys. If a guy asks a dumb question or rubs me the wrong way in any way at all, I’ll throw him out of my garage. I’ve actually made a bunch of good friends selling stuff.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Recently did a transaction by e-transfer, there is a link on your banks
online webpage. Setup the e-transfer profile which is easy, transfer or
deposit , whole thing took about 24 to get started. Safe to use, once the
money is in your account its a final sale. Do your own research, and
dont use paypal the buyer can issue a stop payment.....

·
Banned
156 Posts
I have always done cash but did sell a RZR turbo a few years ago and he paid with a cashiers check. You can call the Financial Institute that issued the cashiers check to confirm it’s real. I still feel the most comfortable with Cash. I always have a bill of sale with buyers personal info on it. Main reason is I can show why I have a stack of cash in my possession

·
Banned
156 Posts
Also it does not hurt to wear camo gear and have a few rifles and knifes laying out. The buyer may think twice about trying to rip you off

Reactions: Stevienh

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
3,057 Posts
Cash is how I role. Usually always have their Cell # and get their name address and # put on the Bill of Sale.
I always count it in front of the buyer before signing and handing over the Bill of Sale.
You could always buy a cash marker at Staples to check the bills if paranoid.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
7,304 Posts
Do what you want. Use your common sense. Everyone on here is gonna say their way is the best way. Just like their oil, track length, riding gear, engine size, penis size, wife’s cooking (see who’s paying attention) 🤣
I am offended by this post.

I would NEVER say that my wife's cooking is the best.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Even with cashiers check my bank makes me wait two weeks to clear it plenty of time for somebody to be long gone. Sold an SUV a few years ago and took it in cash. We met them at their bank and got the cash straight from the teller. Safest way in these times.

·
Registered
Arctic Cat 6000
1,205 Posts
Recently did a transaction by e-transfer, there is a link on your banks
online webpage. Setup the e-transfer profile which is easy, transfer or
deposit , whole thing took about 24 to get started. Safe to use, once the
money is in your account its a final sale. Do your own research, and
dont use paypal the buyer can issue a stop payment.....
Can you provide the url for e-transfer, I've never heard of it and would like to check into it.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts