Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 xc 600

When do you guess recommend putting on a new chain? Just took mine of the other day and looked it over, is there any good way to tell if its stretched or wore out. the chain has 5700 miles on it, but i cant see any wear, or maybe im just not looking in the right spots :dunno:

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I think the top gear gives you more of a tell tail sign then the chain will . look at both gear where the chain contacts it , if the surface is still just polished its fine. If the gears are starting to get chewed up its getting close to needing all 3 parts. at just under 6000 mine if its trail riden and not much in the way of jumping I would think it should be fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is just trial ridden and don't beat on it any. I will check out what you recommended to look at tonight and see if i can see any wear marks on the gears. thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,144 Posts
Originally posted by Tatternuts@Oct 10 2005, 11:46 AM
It is just trial ridden and don't beat on it any.  I will check out what you recommended to look at tonight and see if i can see any wear marks on the gears.  thanks for the info!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=919673
[/quote]

I check for wear on a HYVO chain, by trying to flex it to the side (it is not intended to flex that way). If it has too much flex in it I would replace it, I do not have a precise way to describe too much flex, sorry.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Originally posted by ExcursionPSD@Oct 10 2005, 04:13 PM
I check for wear on a HYVO chain, by trying to flex it to the side (it is not intended to flex that way).  If it has too much flex in it I would replace it, I do not have a precise way to describe too much flex, sorry.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=920281
[/quote]

true but if you dont have a bench mark to call good then how would he know what "bad" is?????

·
Registered
72 Posts
What do you mean by a polished surface. My gears have a mark in the teeth where the flexing part of the chain contacts it, not a shiny surface but more of a slightly worn area. The chain looks ok. Mine has about 11000 miles on it and I was going to leave it alone. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My stock upper gear was beat by 1500 miles. They are powdered metal and not very durable. It had pitted areas on the drive side. Replaced it with an EPI machined one...so far so good. Still using stock chain, but I only have 2700 on it.

·
Premium Member
MY21 650 SBA 146, ES, ICE Storm 1.5
6,144 Posts
Originally posted by brown_devil@Oct 12 2005, 02:32 PM
What do you mean by a polished surface. My gears have a mark in the teeth where the flexing part of the chain contacts it, not a shiny surface but more of a slightly worn area. The chain looks ok. Mine has about 11000 miles on it and I was going to leave it alone. What do you think?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=924760
[/quote]
Get the sprockets and the chain in front of you on a clean brown paper bag.

1. Na na na na
2. na na na na
3. hey hey
4. gooodbye.

Yeah, I'm a lot of fun after midnight!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts