Hardcore Sledder banner

Wheels

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Thumper 
#1 ·
I have a F7 snopro that I am thinking of tacking the inner wheels off . I saw the way the snowcross sleds are set up and they don,t have any inner wheels . I am also purchasing 8'' billet wheels to replace the rear wheels from mountain machines . I would like to know if any one else has tried this set up and if there is any benefit? I heard that you would get better longevity from the hyfax and a more even wear. I also heard that I would get a better hole shot . Advice and input appreciated!!! Thanx!! :p :p :p

#5 ·
The point is that the snow cross sleds all operate like this so I thought that there might be a reason for it. I asked a simple question for some positive feedback and if you can't give some helpful feedback keep your typing to yourself!!!! If it was a perfect setup why would the snow cross sleds tweek them into working a little better and how could the companies continue to improve their product!!! :unsure: :unsure:

#11 ·
I have an 02 440 SP and I tried it without the wheels for awhile. You will wear out your hyfax MUCH faster. MUCH MUCH faster. The only exception may be the powder riding conditions where lubrication is not a factor. For high speed trail running I can't see how you could go without wheels. At least in my experience. Maybe if it was loose powdery trails.

Cat S.

#12 ·
If you run in enough snow to fill the suspension wheels will go slower compared to no wheels. If you run on hardpack you need the wheels for speed and hyfax wear. If your wearing the hyfax faster than normal it makes the track harder to pull. On hard pack the more wheels the better

#13 ·
We talked to a guy in the UP one late night a couple of years ago who had tried this. He was involved with the Sno-Cross circuit. He ran his Sno-Pro for a day without the wheels to reduce the weight and try it. After one day riding the hyfax was worn off. (Trail riding). He pulled the skid took a quick look and said, "it doesn't look like the rails were damaged." and threw a new set of hyfax on them.

If you want to possibly wear out a set of hyfax every 100 miles or so, go for it.

If you want to possibly mess up a rail or two (at about $100 a piece), give it a shot.

If your looking to trail ride, I'd say leave the wheels in.

#15 ·
Now thats what I call informative information!! Thanks alot for all the great input. Thats what this site is about. Thanks again. I put grafite Hyfax on my sled so I might give it a shot for one trip depending on the conditions . I'll see how it works out with the oversize wheels also!! :D :D :lol: :lol:

#17 ·
Rocketship if you do the 8 inch wheel be sure to line it up right. If you just put it in the slot of the old wheels it wll lift up the rails compared to the front. It will set up a wave pattern towards the back of the hyfax and when it wears isnt good for speed. Will also change the front of the rail curve track preassure and off set any benefit of using the larger wheels.

#18 ·
720 Yes you are right about the location of the wheel alighnment. Mountain machines who are providing the kit for the wheels for the rear provide an offset kit for adding the 8" wheels in the rear along with a alignment pattern for the kit. Thanks for the heads up though!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.