25,555 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,555 Posts
Whats yours?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
you know they do have that max rpm recall button but i always think of it after i shut the sled off :wacko:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I do not think that jousting with peak RPM is a value added process.
You should try to pull the RPM to the peak torque using the secondary this is around 75 to 77hun. Your sled should only run up to 8K RPM as the last breath of HP but B4 the torque fades too far.
Know what I mean Vern?
Evil

·
Registered
580 Posts
Knowing what your rpms are at will help you determine how your clutch is doing. As the clutch wears you will see a drop off in rpm. When you can't pull the same rpms anymore then it is time to have the clutches cleaned and serviced.. Keep an eye on the arms and bushings, Those dang little shims don't seem to last long. Cat clutches usually need servicing every 3000 miles somtimes sooner...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think that most of these sleds are over reving from factory. I moved my spring back a hole still was reving 8000. I moved my spring again back to the first hole, helped some but now It jumps to 7800 and climbs to 7960 again. We are loosing about 2hp in this over reving. My clutches are still stock. I would like to see a consistent 77 or 7800. Rob what is yours putting out for rpm now?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Timber jack did u notice any loss or gain having the spring in the first hole?
I set up a run i dont know how far..it went 99..99..101.Reved 8200
I came back took a thick shim out and moved the spring back
one hole(now in 2 hole was in the middle)Went 103..103..104 turning 8100.
Just wondering what would happen if i moved it back to the first hole?
Gain speed..stay the same..lose...drop my rpm much?Anyone eles have an idea or has done this??THANX.Like to run 7800-7900.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I never really had a smooth enough spot to try speed. I have a 1.3 mile stretch of ice in front of my house but the last week the wind has been blowing 50mph. and making it very drifty. I am going out to a smooth spot in the next couple of days and will get some testing in against a 02 800 efi and a 02 SRX. will know better then if I am gaining or loosing. On the other hand I looked at my shims and I only have 1 thick and 1 thin, but also have a rubber shim like thing as well. Thank-you muchly for the speed info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Knowing what your rpms are at will help you determine how your clutch is doing. As the clutch wears you will see a drop off in rpm. When you can't pull the same rpms anymore then it is time to have the clutches cleaned and serviced[/b]
Guys I'm new to this board but not new to motors, cars, and mechanical things.

I'm no expert but it seems to me that if your clutch is slipping your RPM's still continue to INCREASE while your speed (velocity) will DECREASE. So you will "think" your sled is going fast because the motor is revving high BUT you are going much slower than anticipated.

so if 8k rpm = 115mph with a good clutch :D

theoretically 8k rpm = 10mph with a BAD clutch. <_<

just my 2 cents.

frank

·
Registered
986 Posts
I am comming in at 7625 & rolling up to 7800 Any thing over is a power loss Drag racers are pulling about 7450 to7600 it pulls realy hard & they dont need the roll up & no back shift

·
Registered
986 Posts
Drag race rpm depend on sled set up

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mine rev's between 8040 to 8220

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mine rev's between 8040 to 8220